Mormons are Christians

In response to philochristos' comment, I have given definitions.

Mormon- Those who believe in the tenets, teachings, and beliefs of the official LDS church[1][2], excluding any fundamentalists or other offshoots and branches.

Christian- Any person who believes in all of the following:

• Jesus is the Christ
  • The Bible (new and old testament) is the word of god through his chosen prophets, and is therefore an inspired work

I am happy to take this debating and look forward to debating with you. Thanks.

It is a belif of the LDS church that Jesus is christ. They also say the bible is an inspired work, and are therefore christian.

First of all, believing in Jesus Christ alone does not mean that one is a Christian. Even demons believe in Jesus. Jesus says, in Matthew 7:21-23, that, "Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven; but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven. Many will say to Me in that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?' And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness."
Secondly, Mormons consider themselves better than Christians, saying that Christianity became corrupt at the death of the New Testament apostles. They also claim that God has restored the lost and corrupted elements of the Christian faith in Mormonism, so that only those who practice their religion possess the purest form of Christianity. They are not Christians because they deny many of the doctrinal tenets of the original Christian faith.
Here are a few fundamental differences between Mormonism and Christianity, to prove that these two religions are completely different, according to

According to the Bible, there is one eternal God in three persons, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

Mormons believe that there are three separate Gods, according to the prophet Joseph Smith, who is not recognized as a holy person in the Christian faith. They also believe that God had not always been God, but that He is an "exalted man."

According to the Bible, Jesus Christ is the one and only son of God. "His blood is sufficient enough to cover all sins, including murder."

Mormons believe that Jesus earned his godhood. They also believe that there are some sins that Jesus" blood cannot cleanse- such as murder.

Christians believe in the gift of Eternal Life by faith in Jesus Christ alone.

Mormons believe that all people will be granted eternal life, except those who leave Mormonism.

This is a verse from the Book of Mormon:
"And he said unto me: Behold there are save two churches only; the one is the church of the Lamb of God, and the other is the church of the devil."""1 Nephi 14:10
If Mormonism the "church of the Lamb of God," this verse makes the Christian church, the "church of the devil." If then, according to Mormonism, our church is the "church of the devil," how can you claim that Mormons are Christians?

Once again, thanks for the debate.

But they do the will of their father in heaven as well as any other Christian denominations because they follow The bible!
If you remove all the traditional writings and beliefs of a Christian church, you will find the bible at the source of it all. The LDS Church doesn't just believe in the bible, the use it to try to become better people and to prepare for judgement day. is full of speeches and testimonials about becoming more righteous people.
Demons do not have a physical form. Mormons seem to have something called a "human body"

They don't believe that they are better, just that they have more accurate information. One of the things I have learned frequently at my church meetings is that no one person (except Jesus himself) is fundamentally better than another.

The Saduces in the new testament did not follow the traditional "Oral Law" of the Pharisees. Yet they still followed the Law of Moses. In a similar manner, Mormons do not follow some traditional Christian beliefs, but they still follow the bible.

I followed the link. While made in good intent, I saw nothing there that was either relevant or was not just rebutted in this statement.

There most certainly are NOT 3 gods, there is our father in heaven, Jesus Christ, and the holy spirit. Only our father in heaven is a divinity.

Hmmm...Last I visited church(most recent Sunday), I don't remember hearing of any but one unpardonable sin: Having a perfect knowledge and belief of the gospel, and then denying it. Like what demons do on a daily basis. And Jesus is not a god either.

We don't...You obviously don't know our doctrine very much. Someone who falls away from the LDS church can return to it and be granted eternal life again. I hear that almost every Sunday in church.

It's very nice to see that you read a Book of Mormon, but you misinterpreted the verse. In the premortal existence, those who were lead away by the devil and rebelled against god's great plan became angels of Satan, followers of Satan, The Church of Satan. Anyone who was on god's side during The Premortal War has had the Atonement extended to them and is therefore "The church of the Lamb of God"

If a Roman Catholic believes in the gift of life eternal through Jesus alone, than he would not listen to the pope, or to any preachers, just to the bible. Religions often have mortal leaders who teach and inspire them over the years.

The fact that Mormons have "human bodies" is irrelevant. Only the soul goes to Heaven.

"They assert that through their religion alone, God has restored the lost and corrupted elements of the Christian faith so that only those who practice their religion possess the purest form of Christianity. "
This quote from says that the Mormons believe that their religion alone is the purest form, meaning that it is better.

The link I provided gave many fundamental differences between the Mormon and the Christian Churches. All of it was relevant.

The fact that you say, "Only our Father in Heaven is a divinity" in and of itself proves that Mormons are not Christians. Christians believe that the trinity, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, are existent in one God. Christians believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, but still a divinity, that came down from Heaven, died on the cross, and rose again after three days for the forgiveness of sins. To say that only God the Father is a divinity is the exact opposite of what the Chirstian church believes.

"Having perfect knowledge and belief of the gospel, and then denying it."
Demons do not deny the Gospel, they deny that Jesus Christ is Lord.
"And Jesus is not a god either."
Saying that Jesus is not a God is the exact opposite of what the Christian Church teaches, as I said above. To say that Jesus is not the Messiah and to say that Mormons are Christians is, in essence, saying that Jews are Christians. Jews themselves say that they are not Christian. The belief that Jesus is the son of God, is part of the trinity, and is a divinity is fundamental to the Christian faith. Thus, Mormons are not Christians.

"We don't...You obviously don't know our doctrine very much. Someone who falls away from the LDS church can return to it and be granted eternal life again."
What if they don't return? Then, as I said, the Mormon church believes that that person will not go to Heaven.

I hope you understand that "The Lamb of God" is Jesus Christ. Jesus is the Lamb of God because he came down from Heaven in the form of a human and was cruified for our sins. He is God's sacrificial lamb. Being "The church of the Lamb of God" is being followers, and believers, that Jesus Christ is Lord. Since Mormons do not believe that Jesus is God or the son of God, they cannot be considered Christians.

Jesus Himself appointed the first pope, St. Peter, to carry on His teachings after he ascended into Heaven.
Jesus teaches that, “I (Jesus) am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
John 14:5-7
That verse is proof alone that the gift of eternal life is present in Jesus alone.

Finally, the fact that religions have, "mortal leaders who teach and inspire them" has absolutely nothing to do with this debate.

JMSJMS forfeited this round.

david12 forfeited this round.
Posted by david12 3 years ago
we dont need a rematch. I missed the last round as well.
Posted by JMSJMS 3 years ago
I have issued a rematch for this debate, i was absent for for family matters.
Posted by JMSJMS 3 years ago
So Muslims belive him to be a prophet and a saviour, but not the son of god/a deity?
Posted by JMSJMS 3 years ago
Demons belive that Jesus christ and the bible are true because they spend every minute of their time trying to make people defy both.
Posted by Koopin 3 years ago
Did you know that demons believe in Jesus Christ and the Bible too?

Your definition needs to be changed before you get the mess slapped outta you.
Posted by Ahmed.M 3 years ago
>>"Actually, Muslims don't believe Jesus is Christ. They believe him to be a prophet. Christ = Messiah = Savior. Muslims don't view him as a savior, and therefore he is not Christ."

Yes we do believe Jesus (peace be upon him) is the Christ/Messiah, that doesn't mean we believe he is God. He was the messiah for the Jews of Israel only though, but Christians would obviously dispute this.
Posted by adontimasu 3 years ago
Actually, Muslims don't believe Jesus is Christ. They believe him to be a prophet. Christ = Messiah = Savior. Muslims don't view him as a savior, and therefore he is not Christ.
Posted by philochristos 3 years ago
This sounds like a debate over semantics--the proper definition of "Christian." You know that Muslims also believe Jesus is the Christ, don't you? I think you're going to need a bit more in your definition.
Vote Placed by philochristos 3 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Pro forfeited in the last round, but I probably would've given arguments to Con anyway. Pro didn't use any sources, but Con did, so sources to Con.