asiansarentnerdy
leet4A1

Mosquitos should not exist.

leet4A1

asiansarentnerdy

Pro

This topic is pretty straight foward.

I believe that everything is created for a reason, a purpose, but I could not think of a single reason for some annoying insect like the mosquito to exist. In fact, instead of even benefiting society in any way, it passes diseases like West Nile Virus to people. Not to mention the fact that once you get bitten, its hard to stop scratching the mosquito bite. Simply enough, the mosquito is not good in any way but is bad in a lot of ways.

I thank anyone who accepts this debate.:)
leet4A1

Con

Thanks to my non-nerdy, asian opponent for posting this unique debate. I will address my opponent's arguments and then provide some of my own.

"I believe that everything is created for a reason, a purpose, but I could not think of a single reason for some annoying insect like the mosquito to exist."

This is a shaky premise to begin with, and one my opponent's entire argument thus far hinges on. All science at hand shows that NOTHING was created, much less for a purpose. If my opponent wishes to use the argument that all things were created with a purpose, there is no purpose for the mosquito, hence mosquito should not exist, she will first have to provide evidence that everything was not only created, but created to have a specific purpose.

"In fact, instead of even benefiting society in any way, it passes diseases like West Nile Virus to people. Not to mention the fact that once you get bitten, its hard to stop scratching the mosquito bite. Simply enough, the mosquito is not good in any way but is bad in a lot of ways."

Despite what many members of the species Homo Sapiens like to believe, all life on this planet does not revolve around us. Whether or not a lifeform "should" exist has nothing to do with how annoying they are or how many humans die each year as a direct result of that lifeform. It comes entirely down to how well that species survives in this giant rat-race we call life. Needless to say, having existed for millions upon millions of years, with 3,500 species (discovered) and 41 genera,[1] mosquitos are excellent survivors.

To put it another way, thanks to the constant check-and-balance provided by evolution, if mosquitoes SHOULD not exist, then they WOULD not exist.

Thanks to my opponent.

[1] - http://en.wikipedia.org...
asiansarentnerdy

Pro

Haha, I thank my opponent for accepting my debate. I will respond to his points in the same way he responded to my own.

1) What I mean by the statement that I made was that everything was made for a purpose. Like the pencil, it was made so that we have something to write with. Just think about everything in your surroundings. Every single one of them was designed to have a specific purpose that affects you. On the insect side, however, every bug has a purpose, even if it is just to add to our fascination or emotional hightening. Like the bee, for example, it produces honey. And the butterfly, who doesn't get happier just by lookin at the pretty wings of a butterfly? Now, think of a mosquito. It is an ugly little creature, and instead of providing us with any joy, it detracts from our happiness and ulitmately even our well-being. A mosquito constantly buzzes around you and provokes irration, and it also spread deadly diseases.

2) Using my opponent's source, this statement that I made is further supported. As quoted from his souce Wikipedia, it states, " Mosquitoes are a vector agent that carries disease-causing viruses and parasites from person to person without catching the disease themselves....Mosquitoes are estimated to transmit disease to more than 700 million people annually in Africa, South America, Central America, Mexico and much of Asia with millions of resulting deaths." This statistic further supports why mosquitos are detrimental to society.

Although it may be true that the world does not revolve around us human-beings, this part is inevitable. How many forests are plowed down each day for our purposes, killing all the animal inhabitants of that forest? Whether we like it or not, the world that we live in now revolves around us humans. This part is inevitable. Therefore, the statement that "mosquitos should not exist" from my point of view is true for the reasons I have listed above.

I look foward to reading my opponent's response in the next round. Thanks again for accepting.
leet4A1

Con

"What I mean by the statement that I made was that everything was made for a purpose. Like the pencil, it was made so that we have something to write with. Just think about everything in your surroundings. Every single one of them was designed to have a specific purpose that affects you. On the insect side, however, every bug has a purpose, even if it is just to add to our fascination or emotional hightening. Like the bee, for example, it produces honey. And the butterfly, who doesn't get happier just by lookin at the pretty wings of a butterfly? Now, think of a mosquito. It is an ugly little creature, and instead of providing us with any joy, it detracts from our happiness and ulitmately even our well-being. A mosquito constantly buzzes around you and provokes irration, and it also spread deadly diseases."

First of all, you have equated man-made objects with those occuring in nature. Once again, if you are going to argue that mosquitoes were a poor design, you must first show that they WERE designed. I don't envy the debater with this burden in this day and age.
Secondly, if you are arguing that mosquitoes are annoying and present no purpose as far as humans are concerned, you will get no arguments from me. But your suggestion that this apparent lack of purpose of the mosquito means that it should not exist is at best incorrect, and at worst egocentric.
As I argued in the first round, evolution is the only factor we should consider when asking if a particular type of lifeform should exist or not. Conscious though we are, it is not our place or our business to decide which creatures should and should not exist, because the constant check and balance evolution affords us ENSURES that only those beings worthy of existing do exist. As I put it in my first round, thanks to evolution we know that if a lifeform DOES exist, then it SHOULD exist. This is obviously regardless of how annoying that particular lifeform may be to humans.

"2) Using my opponent's source, this statement that I made is further supported. As quoted from his souce Wikipedia, it states, " Mosquitoes are a vector agent that carries disease-causing viruses and parasites from person to person without catching the disease themselves....Mosquitoes are estimated to transmit disease to more than 700 million people annually in Africa, South America, Central America, Mexico and much of Asia with millions of resulting deaths." This statistic further supports why mosquitos are detrimental to society."

Once again, true though this may be, it has no bearing on whether or not a creature should exist. This argument would be better suited to a resolution along the lines of "Human beings as a species would be better off if mosquitoes didn't exist", or something along those lines.

"Although it may be true that the world does not revolve around us human-beings, this part is inevitable. How many forests are plowed down each day for our purposes, killing all the animal inhabitants of that forest? Whether we like it or not, the world that we live in now revolves around us humans. This part is inevitable. Therefore, the statement that "mosquitos should not exist" from my point of view is true for the reasons I have listed above."

I may make the statement that a species with no senses, an extremely short life-span, a high rate of sterility, many natural predators and very few sources of food should not exist in nature, and I would be quite correct in my argument. This species would likely never arise in nature, much less survive, and so the argument could be made that this species should not exist and that its very existence would be an anomaly. But mosquitoes, as I showed in Round 1, are excellent survivors and therefore there is no reason why they should not exist.

Even if we were to follow the line of reasoning that all species of animal which are annoying or threatening to humans should be wiped out, this would result in a mass-extinction of animals possibly never before seen. There are many animals which fit your criteria for warranting their non-existence, but the problem with even one species going extinct, much less every one that annoys and kills humans, is the follow-on effect to the chain of life. If mosquitoes were to disappear from the face of the planet today, there would be many animals without a source of food. As these animals would also die out, eventually so too would their predators, and so forth. The life we are surrounded with took BILLIONS of years to evolve into a tight ecosystem, and your proposal that we remove integral parts of that ecosystem instantaneously would clearly result in disaster.

I'll leave it here for this round, I thank my opponent and look forward to the final round.
asiansarentnerdy

Pro

asiansarentnerdy forfeited this round.
leet4A1

Con

My opponent forfeited her third round, so all unanswered arguments from Round 2 are extended. Vote CON.
Vote Placed by porkbunlover 7 years ago
porkbunlover
asiansarentnerdyleet4A1Tied