rogue
DrewzZ

Most atheists do not believe everything came from nothing.

rogue

rogue

Pro

Atheism: the doctrine or belief that there is no god, disbelief in the existence of a supreme being or beings.

http://dictionary.reference.com...

Belief that everything came from nothing is not a required belief of qualifying as an atheist. An atheist can believe this, but I have never encountered one. The thought that atheists believe everything came from nothing is a huge misconception. I want to debate to find out if there is any evidence for this perceived misconception.
DrewzZ

Con

Hi ^^ I am new to this site, so I thought this would be an easy debate

To be honest with you, I fail to see where this debate is going to get either of us.

I am an atheist, and I too fail to see how everything came from nothing. I just accept that everything has always been here, just sometimes in different forms.

I would say that quite a sizable chunk of atheists accept the big bang as true. Here is a link to an explanation of the big bang theory [ http://en.wikipedia.org... ] (Wikipedia is reliable right?)

According to the big bang theory, the universe as we know it today started from "an extremely dense and hot state".

While it doesnt say this extremely dense and hot state came from nothing, It is quite possible the majority of atheists do believe that.

But wait!

You have no proof most atheists do not believe everything came from nothing.
While I have no proof either, doesnt the burden of proof lie on you?
rogue

Pro

http://agnosticism-atheism.yoexpert.com...

Well here is an article about what most atheists believe. I thought that the definition alone was evidence enough. If you cannot come up with evidence showing many atheists that believe everything came from nothing, then my point stands. Here is another article showing that atheists do not believe that.

http://friendlyatheist.com...
DrewzZ

Con

In those two links I fail to see any hard evidence proving that "most atheists do not believe everything came from nothing"

All I see are opinions and assumptions.
rogue

Pro

I think it shows that a good number of atheists do not believe everything came from nothing. I guess it comes down to whether the evidence is good enough for the voters. You have still not shown any evidence that the resolution is not true.
DrewzZ

Con

You don't need evidence against something if there is no evidence for it
rogue

Pro

rogue forfeited this round.
DrewzZ

Con

DrewzZ forfeited this round.
rogue

Pro

rogue forfeited this round.
DrewzZ

Con

DrewzZ forfeited this round.
Posted by rogue 6 years ago
rogue
well see I've been criticized in the past for taking the con side as the instigator.
Posted by drmigit2 6 years ago
drmigit2
A rule of thumb, you should always say a positive statement for the topic, you can be the con side if you want, but always make it a positive.
Posted by DrewzZ 6 years ago
DrewzZ
Kinesis, your so smart!

:0
Posted by Kinesis 6 years ago
Kinesis
I would take this were the resolution: "*many* atheists do not believe everything came from nothing". To argue about *most* atheists would be arguing about something about which there is no strong evidence and would degenerate into a debate over the BoP.
Posted by larztheloser 6 years ago
larztheloser
People can believe what they like. I could argue that it's logically irrational, but then most people I know are logically irrational, so that wouldn't prove anything.
Posted by Puck 6 years ago
Puck
"Is this saying atheists do believe everything came from something at least?"

No, it's saying what an atheist is, is devoid of anything relating to that question.
Posted by nerdykiller 6 years ago
nerdykiller
I am sorry but can u clarify?
Is this saying atheists do believe everything came from something at least?
Vote Placed by ApostateAbe 6 years ago
ApostateAbe
rogueDrewzZTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro provided relevant sources, but not Con.