Kira2003
SuperDucky_101

Most pit bulls are not dangerous

Kira2003 has forfeited round #3.

Kira2003

Pro

Pit bulls are only dangerous if raised that way, they are very strong and heavy built but pit bulls used to be very good babysitters and were once a great caretaker. I have a pit bull who was in a very bad home he was abused and used for dog fighting but when I got him I gave him the right home and now he loves people and would never hurt another animal or human. I trust him 100% with whoever he wants to be around.
SuperDucky_101

Con

First off, I will outline what my opponent will attempt to do. She will paint me as a dog-hating hyper republican who wants all pit bulls to be put down. She may use outrageous examples, but she will mainly appeal to the dog lover in all of us.
However, I would like to point out some problems with her argument. Her only example is her own dog. She is saying "I know that my pit bull is a nice, friendly dog. Therefore, all pit bulls must be nice, friendly dogs!" That would be the same thing as saying "I know one man who was a rapist. Therefore, all men must be rapists!" You can't just take one random example and make it the only basis of your argument. You have to provide repeated proof.

While I agree there are plenty of nice, friendly pit bulls (such as your dog), that does not change the fact that the majority of dog-related attacks are pit bulls.

Here is an example:
"One (pitbull) literally went for my leg and [the] other was trying to jump on top of me, but I was hitting them, and I was punching them," Janelle Manning, 24, told CBS New York at the time. "They both weren't letting go, once they got a hold of my leg." Because of her leg injuries, Manning struggled to walk up and down stairs, CBS reported. "These dogs (pit bulls) were, like, trained to kill; trained to hurt and viciously attack people," she said.

I would like to emphasise the part where she says "These dogs were, like, trained to kill; trained to hurt and viciously attack people." Pit bulls are a very dangerous dog naturally. However, if I stopped at just one example, I would be doing what my opponent is doing.

There are numerous studies from children's hospitals showing that pit bulls are the main cause of dog bights. In a five year study of dog bite injuries from the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, it found that more than half of all dog bites were pit bulls. (2009)

This study is not alone. Another 15-year study showed that pit bulls, Rottweilers and German shepherds are responsible for the overwhelming majority of dog attacks ending in fatality. (2009)
Another 2011 study from the Annals of Surgery showed that "attacks by pit bulls are associated with higher morbidity rates, higher hospital charges and a higher risk of death than are attacks by other breeds of dogs." The people who ran this study all say that that strict regulation of pit bulls would most likely substantially reduce the U.S. mortality rates related to dog bites.

This concludes my opening statement. Thank you for your consideration.
Kira2003

Pro

I am focused on the fact that because some pit bulls are trained badly people see all pit bulls as dangerous. I am focused on the fact that some towns don't allow any pit bulls in there not even in a car just driving through the town to get to a different town. Places in the U.S ask that people who own pit bulls should move out of the town or they will take your pit bull and kill the dog, even if innocent. Now how is that fair to the dogs that don't do anything wrong? I'm not saying all pit bulls are angels but most pit bulls are sweet and kind I know many pit bulls. I know there are attacks from these kinds of dogs but I look at the owner, isn't it true there is a statement that says everyone is innocent until proved guilty. SHouldn't that be applied to dogs too? Innocent dogs are being killed because they were born a pitbull!
SuperDucky_101

Con

The topic of what you are phrasing as a "pit bull genocide" is not what this debate is about. The topic is "Most pit bulls are not dangerous." This is false. I have shown evidence, I have used facts. Do I think pit bulls should be killed just because they are pit bulls? No. Do I believe that strict regulations should be put on pit bulls? Yes.

Pit bulls are also not trained to be dangerous. They are downright aggressive dogs who from birth are usually dangerous. This is what the debate is about, we are not debating the ethics of pitbull control. You are doing what I said would be done. You are trying to bait me into an argument I have no part in when the debate at hand is: "are pit bulls dangerous?"

What I believe has happened is you have jumped ship on your original argument because you could not find real proof, or you were too lazy to research anything that supports pit bulls not being dangerous. Please address the arguments I made in the argument above, which relate to the debate, instead of creating a completely new argument.
Posted by ecksdee123 3 months ago
ecksdee123
You're right, Pro.

Any dog owner could say that their dog doesn't bite, but that's from the owner's perspective, not from (most likely) a random person that the dog has never seen before.

I think two things matter: How the pit bull is raised/trained, and the nature of the dog itself.

I personally think that most dogs can be trained to be safe around strangers specifically, with few exceptions. However, if the owner trains the dog incorrectly in any way that could lead to an injury or worse, then I wouldn't deem the dog safe. Though I would still put the blame on the owner.
Aside from this, dogs of the same and different breed can and will be different no matter the circumstance.

So I wouldn't rule out a trained, but aggressive dog (not specifically pit bulls) that attacks a random person, for any reason, especially one that's justified.
Posted by Kira2003 3 months ago
Kira2003
That seems like a good point, I think that some people wouldn't be able to afford to move and if they have a good dog and the city just takes that dog away then they are killing innocent dogs.
Posted by Leaning 3 months ago
Leaning
Well unless they were able to prove that Pit bulls are a serious threat that regularly get's out of control, that doesn't seem right to me.

Maybe then it's a question on how much people have the right to community vote on the aesthetics of how people live. Home Owner Associations for example can regulate the color of your house in some areas, I've heard.
Posted by Kira2003 3 months ago
Kira2003
There is a town in the Deleware United States where they have a no pitbull tolerance law and that means, they do not allow dogs in their town not even in a car just passing through. I know of some other places that don't allow pit bulls if you don't move out of that city then they will take your dog and kill them.
Posted by Leaning 3 months ago
Leaning
Certain animals do have different requirements I've read though. Some dogs requiring more attention and all that, never heard of a law passed banning people from having the average pet unless they've gone through a class though. Some pet shelters won't allow you a pet if you're considered a risk though.

Dogs in general, people view as dangerous I'd say. Making salesmen nervous at the door, people having leash laws (Which I see as reasonable). Giving a bit of space on the sidewalk in passing.
Posted by Kira2003 3 months ago
Kira2003
That's the thing, any dog can be super aggressive it's all in how you raise them. I foster pit bulls in fact I even have a pitbull and he does well with all dogs. He was used for dog fighting with his old owner but I worked with him over the years and now he's a sweet boy that takes care of my friends baby. I used to have a golden retriever that did not react well to other dogs or people and would go after anyone that wasn't me or my boyfriend.
Posted by Leaning 3 months ago
Leaning
Popular depiction I suppose. Perhaps comparable to sharks.
Maybe Pit bulls are exceptionally aggressive, I'm not so sure myself.
Posted by Kira2003 3 months ago
Kira2003
That is a fairly good point! I do however guess that I used wrong wording when I said that they are dangerous. As you see most people say pit bulls are the most dangerous dogs and so they ban only pit bulls from certain cities and countries. What about the other breeds that bring harm to human nature? Why ban only one breed if they aren't even the highest breed of dog that is causing harm?
Posted by Leaning 3 months ago
Leaning
Dangerous: able or likely to cause harm or injury.
Well pit bulls are able to cause harm, maybe slightly more likely than other dogs (Aggressive)
But I don't really know dogs all that well.

Guns, would you agree? Are dangerous.
But then, that would be arguing all dogs are dangerous rather than one breed.
Would have to show Pit bulls are like a particularly dangerous gun, like one with no safety and a tendency to blow up in your hand. Which I'm not all that sure of.