NadjiGuemar
Ian159

Mother Teresa was either a lying, evil thief. Or a deluded one.

NadjiGuemar

Pro

For me, there are only two possible categories that we can place this woman. Either a deluded woman, that was tricked into carrying out the most horrendous acts against the worlds poor by an old, sinister, predator-protecting virgin. Or that she intentionally did the corrupt things she did from a standpoint of deliberate action. Either way, Mother Teresa was bad.

Ground Rules:
The only ground rule is that it isn't kosher, in this debate, to act as if our words are of that much importance. So restrain from saying things like "Thanks for the debate" and "back to pro", because it just looks like you're predicting an inevitability, and it's pointless.

Good luck.
Ian159

Con

According to Wikipedia,"Mother Teresa founded the Missionaries of Charity, a Roman Catholic religious congregation, which in 2012 consisted of over 4,500 sisters and is active in 133 countries. They run hospices and homes for people with HIV/AIDS, leprosy and tuberculosis; soup kitchens; children's and family counseling programmes; orphanages; and schools. Members of the order must adhere to the vows of chastity, poverty and obedience, and the fourth vow, to give 'Wholehearted and Free service to the poorest of the poor'." I believe that says enough as is. Can you provide an instance where is was proven, beyond reasonable doubt, that she stole something. She's donated to the poor multiple times and has won many awards in her life. She's opened homes for people suffering from Hansen's Disease. She was very religious in her life. When has she stolen? And to the lying claim. Have you lied? I have. I cannot think of anyone on earth who hasn't lied. It that such a bad thing? To what extent has it been proven that she lied? And, really, someone who opens hospitals and charities is evil?
NadjiGuemar

Pro

Thanks for the reply, however late it came.

My opponent has site a single wikipedia database that chooses to word this woman's actions in a positive light. since he has chosen to only give us a single point, it will be all the more simple for me to dismantle.

He says that, because she housed some AIDS patients, and some other suffering people, that she must have had a heart of true compassion. Admittedly, my opponent knows nothing of Mother Teresa or the goings on in her House For the Dying, as he begins his argument with "according to wikipedia". Now, I know how hard it can be to disinvolve yourself with popular icons like mother Teresa, as it was for all of us to do with Santa Clause, but listen to me with an open mind and your opinions will soon change.

I could site the $2.3 million she took from Charles Keating, which he took by fraud from the poorest people all around America so that she would write a letter to the courts demanding his fraud to be excused (To check this fact, visit-http://en.wikipedia.org...). Or I could talk about the $1.2 million she took from the Duvaliers, a dictator family of Haiti, who have given the poor as hard a time as they have ever gotten (To check this fact, visit- http://en.wikipedia.org...). But for the mercy of my opponent, I will remain on the single point which he made.

Mother Teresa's Homes for The Dying were not happy places for her victims. In 1994, Dr Robin fox (PhD in the Standards of Care) visited mother Teresa's Home For the Dying in Calcutta. That same year, on the 17 September, he wrote in his journal about a 10 year old boy suffering from Malaria and High Fever, he noted that the missionaries of Charity had given him, for treatment, Paracetamol and Tetracycline, which is a tablet for acne!There are hundreds of other examples of the indifference to the poor's suffering on the part of Mother Teresa (Visit-http://www.cracked.com...). So, don't try to get it passed through the intelligence of our audience that she did any real work for the poor.

Also, in 1898, whilst giving a speech in Dublin, Mother Teresa had herself proclaimed that her real agenda was nothing to do with helping the poor, and that it was really to stop contraception and abortion! She said that "suffering is a gift from god, I think it's beautiful to see the poor endure their lot." Any body that says these preachment's are any less than evil is deluded, and should emancipate themselves from the shackles of their own naivet".

A documentary showing the speech I mentioned will be included at the top right-hand corner of this argument.
Ian159

Con

I'm sorry, but I refuse to debate people who insult or personally attack me. Especially my intelligence. From your debate history, it seems you've used personally attacks often in your other debates. I am boycotting this debate and forfeiting all future rounds.

NadjiGuemar

Pro

NadjiGuemar forfeited this round.
Ian159

Con

Ian159 forfeited this round.
Posted by Ian159 4 years ago
Ian159
I will make a more formal argument on his fallacies in the next round.
Posted by Ragnar 4 years ago
Ragnar
"suffering is a gift from god, I think it's beautiful to see the poor endure their lot." -Mother Teresa
Pro I'm going to need a source on this one.
Posted by NadjiGuemar 4 years ago
NadjiGuemar
What are you talking about? (Ian159)
Posted by Ragnar 4 years ago
Ragnar
Wikipedia often cites their sources, it is far better to follow to trail to a piece of information that may not be changed at will by anyone on the net.
Posted by Ian159 4 years ago
Ian159
I would like to clarify what was actually spoken by Mother Teresa. You said:

"suffering is a gift from god, I think it's beautiful to see the poor endure their lot." Any body that says these preachment's are any less than evil is deluded, and should emancipate themselves from the shackles of their own naivet".

I don't understand if all of this was said by her, or if you are including a comment within the quotation. The quotation marks end at lot, signaling the quotation ends there, but then there is another one after the word naivet.
Posted by NadjiGuemar 4 years ago
NadjiGuemar
In my last argument, I meant to say *1989
Posted by NadjiGuemar 4 years ago
NadjiGuemar
Thanks for the comment, I think I can handle it.
Posted by glassplotful 4 years ago
glassplotful
While I would side with Pro on this argument, the debate subject could be worded better.

"Mother Teresa was either a lying, evil thief. Or a deluded one."

Evil is a subjective term.

"Mother Teresa was a liar" is much easier to prove, especially since there does exist easily-accessible proof.
Posted by NadjiGuemar 4 years ago
NadjiGuemar
He took money from her, that she took from dictators. He was selling a product, Mother Teresa was that product.
Posted by Ragnar 4 years ago
Ragnar
Please explain how her boss being a virgin (we hope), has direct baring on arguments about her?