Mother Teresa was not so saint-like.

Interesting topic as you don't hear it that often. I will be for the notion that mother Teresa was in fact quite immoral and unjust in her actions and ideas and therefore doesn't deserve the title of "saint". Round one is an ACCEPTANCE ROUND ONLY, followed by rounds of back and forth argument/rebuttal. Good luck and happy debating.

Worship the lady!

Interesting acceptance however I will use it as an invitation to show my argument.

Firstly I will state multiple points on why I believe Mother Teresa is not the saint-like, moral or just figure in which she is perceived and deserves to be criticized for many of her actions.

1. Issues regarding donations:
Mother Teresa's view was that if someone offers charity for the poor it should be accepted for their sake regardless of the giver. Charles Keating, an American banker known for the infamous saving and loan scandal, had donated up to $1.25 million to Missionaries of Charity. Despite pleas to return the money, Mother Teresa remained silent as a result of her "view". When Keating was brought to court mother Teresa asked the court to show mercy on him because he contributed a lot to her charities. This is a very selfish act as she is saying that if a man has done wrong then it's okay for people to forget about it because he has given a lot to charity. It also shows that she didn't care where the money came from or the implications of it, just as long as it was received.

2. Issue regarding use of donated money:
A report in a German magazine showed that in 1991, of all the donations aimed towards the Missionaries of charity, only 7 percent was used for the charity. ( I don't need to explanation the immorality of such a claim, it is self explanatory.

3. Immoral speakings/teachings:
In a time where countries like India were greatly suffering from a vast high birth rate and multiple diseases such as HIV, mother Teresa still condemned the use of any kind of contraception. This shows immorality as she preached for the prevention of some of India's main problems getting any better.

4. Quality of medical care:
In 1991, Robin Fox, editor of the British medical journal The Lancet visited the Home for Dying in Calcutta and described the medical care the patients received as "haphazard". He observed that sisters and volunteers, some of whom had no medical knowledge, had to make decisions about patient care, because of the lack of doctors in the hospice. Teresa was responsible for these conditions as she constantly visited the facilities and would therefore be very aware of the conditions and quality which existed. The order did not distinguish between curable and incurable patients, so that people who could otherwise survive would be at risk of dying from infections and lack of treatment. Mother Teresa did after all refer to the facilities as "Houses of the Dying".
In contrast to the conditions at her homes, it is well known that Mother Teresa sought medical treatment for herself at renowned medical clinics in the United States, Europe, and India. This is hypocrisy at it's highest and also an extreme contradiction to her perceived title of being "for the people". Many of this is shown in Christopher Hitchen's "Hell's Angels" documentary ( ).

5. Sincerity of helping people:
I feel that Mother Teresa's own words on poverty proved that her intention was not to help people. At a 1981 press conference she was asked: "Do you teach the poor to endure their lot?" She replied: "I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." ( How can she get away with boasting such an inhumane idea? Also writer Aroup Chatterjee stated that in Papua New Guinea none of the eight facilities that the Missionaries of Charity ran had any residents in them, and were purely for the purpose of converting local people to Catholicism. This is also a selfish and unjust act as it shows that Teresa had a higher interest in converting people to her religion than in helping the homeless or poor off the streets. This also shows that the public image of Mother Teresa as a "helper of the poor" was very misleading.

These examples are hardly the action or work of a saint-like person. I could go on but I won't as my aim is to try to prove why "Mother Teresa was not so saint-like" rather than showing every possible example of this. I feel I have showed ample evidence of her immorality, insincerity, unjust ways, selfishness etc. for my pro side. I look forward to your response.

namdamlanoitar forfeited this round.

It would appear that my opponent has deactivated their account...

namdamlanoitar forfeited this round.

No surprise here...

namdamlanoitar forfeited this round.
Posted by donald.keller 3 years ago
3. Immoral speakings/teachings:

This is completely subjective. While you feel it's wrong, she felt it was moral. Hold one to their Moral Code, not your's. I myself am against contraceptives for the most part. Who are you to say her morals were wrong because your code is different? She kept to her moral code in this respect.

The rest was fairly well rounded and made for a great argument.
Posted by neha.youva 3 years ago
Mother Teresa displayed not only the attributes of a Saint in her lifetime but of true humanity. Every human being has the compassion and strength to make the difference she did in this world. But we are conditioned by societal norms to conform. Saints like Mother Teresa are our source of hope and inspiration in today's world of insanity.
Vote Placed by Mikal 3 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: ff