Movies are better than video games

DebatingAmericanGirl has forfeited round #2.

I will be arguing that movies are superior as a medium of art, storytelling, and entertainment to video games. I will be also be naming and explaining specific examples of films that I see as better than any game in history. Con must defend video games as the greater form of entertainment, and should also have examples at the ready.

Round 1 - acceptance
Round 2 - opening arguments
Round 3 - defense and rebuttal
Round 4 - final defense and conclusion

Good luck to whoever accepts!

Video games are works of art. They entertain, bring families together and best of all they are addictive.
Something draws your towards a game , that an film or an book can not. For example Black Ops 3, the most frequently bought in game stories throughout England for the whole of 2015. both more often then any other film.

This is the start of my argument
Good Luck !!
Reply When You Can
x x x

Thank you, Con. I will now present my opening argument, while refuting some points she made early on.

It's debatable whether or not video games are art, but the fact that film is an art form is indisputable. Movies are made to look beautiful, have complex stories, and be up to the viewer's interpretation. Video games, due to the limitations of technology, can't visually compete with real life or animation. Even the best-looking games are made exclusively by the richest companies, whereas any skilled indie director can create a decent-looking movie. Games often don't even have a story, and if they do, it's often generic, boring, and intrudes into the gameplay. Look at games like Halo, Call of Duty, Resident Evil, and Metal Gear. Do people play these games to immerse themselves in the cutscenes? Of course not, and people often complain about the length of said cutscenes. [1] [2]

Con makes this general statement: "Something draws your towards a game, that an film or an book can not. [sic]" What exactly is this something? I'm certainly more drawn to movies and books, and there are plenty of people who feel the same way. Perhaps you like games better, but that doesn't mean everyone does.

"For example Black Ops 3, the most frequently bought in game stories throughout England for the whole of 2015. both more often then any other film. [sic]"

There are three problems with this statement. First, there are no sources to support Con's information. Second, that probably isn't taking Netflix or DVDs into account, but because I don't have the source, I don't know. Third and finally, just because something sold better doesn't make it superior. Call of Duty sells well because it panders to the token demographic, namely boys aged 5-17.

The great thing about movies is that they will always try new, creative ways to entertain us. People will try tugging at our heartstrings, making us laugh, pumping our adrenaline, or giving an unexpected twist to make their movie stand out from the rest. Many people fail, but those films that succeed are remembered forever. Games, on the other hand, are allowed deliver the same formula over and over without any backlash. Going back to Call of Duty, look at Activision, the company that basically makes the same game every couple of years. They don't receive any major fan complaints and still manage to trick everyone into buying their new product whenever it comes out. Also take Pokemon, one of the best-selling franchises of all time. Every Pokemon game is structured almost the exact same way, but fans eat it up without even noticing.

The reason for this is very simple: because games are addicting. Con seems to think this is a good thing, but I disagree. Think of how much more productive some folks would be if they stopped playing World of Warcraft and integrated with human society. There is one tragic report (as one example of several) of a Korean man who died after playing video games for three days straight while neglecting food and water. [3] Naturally, most gamers aren't addicted to this degree and know when enough is enough. But you never hear about people dropping dead during a Netflix binge, do you? Rather than luring the viewer into a sort of trance, films have a clear beginning, middle, and end. They're entertaining, but not addictive or harmful as games can be.

There are some excellent games that I love, such as Earthbound, Okami, Morrowind, and every Sims game. But none of them can compare to a good movie. No game can make people laugh like The Hangover or Airplane. Nor can they make you cry like Schindler's List or The Color Purple. There isn't a single game with as much testosterone-filled action as Mad Max: Fury Road, and there isn't a game that depicts war as realistically as Saving Private Ryan. There are several games that try to spook you with cheap jumpscares, but none that can match the terrifying atmosphere of Alien. Overall, the best films elicit a great emotional response from the viewer, while the best games are usually mindless fun. To me, there's no contest which one is better.

Posted by JiffyCones 2 months ago
I am very passionate about videos games as an art form. I also take medication that causes me to be more irritable, thus the perceived emotion behind my comments.

Going back and reading your arguments with a clear head(free of prescriptive influence), I do concede I was mistaken in my accusations of your admiration, or lack thereof, of the subjects at hand.

I am new to this site, as I'm sure you can tell. On the matter of my debate skills(which I must bring up now), I am unsure of what I would need to cite and source to give my argument more merit. I personally believe my first-hand experiences with both mediums should suffice to some degree, but tips would be appreciated.

With that said, I hope we can have a discussion on this topic. I will readily accept your challenge, should you wish to proceed.
Posted by Phenenas 2 months ago
@JiffyCones If you're so misguided as to believe that I hate video games, take a glance at my final paragraph. "Infallible gift from God?" I don't know what type of unprecedented burst of emotion caused you to use that laughable rhetoric. If you examine my actual arguments, you'll notice that I said many movies fail, and only a few are really great, but I enjoy the best movies more than the best games. By no means am I anti-video game. I would be happy to challenge you if you feel so strongly about Jak and Daxter.
Posted by JiffyCones 2 months ago
I'm triggered by the anti-game arguments...Most can be applied to the movie industry too. Also, the fervor with which you tout movies as some infallible gift-from-God is laughable. The palpable vitriol that seeps from your condemnation of video-games reeks of ill-concieved superiority.

Perhaps you're an impressive troll, or maybe you're genuine.

I will tell you this: challenge me, and I won't fail to respond. If
Posted by Phenenas 3 months ago
@Akhaniel This debate is centered around the question of what is better in general: cinema or video games. You can use any situation or form of entertainment to add to your argument, but try not to focus too heavily on one specific topic. I do believe that seeing a movie is always better whether you're alone or with friends, and I'm prepared to argue that, but I wish for this debate to also cover ideas like artistic value and rewatching/replaying potential.
Posted by Akhaniel 3 months ago
There are various notions of how one perceives entertainment. Are you referring to any kind? Example: individual entertainment, shared entertainment or socializing (which is a form of entertainment on its own). Because each of the medium, movies and games, entertain us in various scenarios. Can I use any form of entertainment to substantiate my claim?