BittersweetMemories
MrJosh

Movies based on Books should follow the plot line completely.

MrJosh
Started: 3/11/2015 Category: Movies

BittersweetMemories

Pro

Movies which were based on books, such as Percy Jackson, should follow the plot line completely, otherwise it should not be called the same title. By "movies based on books," I mean a movie made after the book is published and has the same title. The movie should follow the plot line because that is what the book fans are looking for, and it is unfair to the author if the plot is changed. He or she spent all that time writing the book only for the entire plot to be changed in the movie is just plain unfair.
MrJosh

Con

I would like to thank PRO for instigating this debate. PRO's position is that movies based on books should follow the same plot line as the books on which they are based. I will be taking the position that there should be no requirement. PRO's arguments are that not doing so is unfair to the author and that this is what the fans want. I will address these two assertions and then make my own case.

Is it Fair to the Author?

Right off the bat, this assertion is absurd as authors are paid by the producers [1]. If you don't want to take the chance that your work will be adapted by the producers and directors, don't take the deal. Also, authors are often consulted when adapting their book to the screen [2]. How can it be unfair if they have input on how the material is transitioned to the different artistic medium?

What the Fans Want

Is it Fair to the Author?

What the Fans Want

PRO also makes the case that since the fans want the movies to stay true to the books, this is what should be done. Who cares what the fans want? Producers are in business to make money, and if changing the story a bit will bring in more money, then they are doing their job. Also, PRO is ignoring the numerous times movies turned out better than the books on which they were based [3]. That the fans want it, does not mean it should be so.

Movies are Art

Like painting, music, and writing, film-making is an art form. PRO suggests that we stifle the creativity of the artist by forcing them to express another artist's vision. This is an absurd suggestion. Aside from the fact that many things that occur in books do not work on the big screen (such as narration and discussions about a character's feelings), tying the hands of film-makers would prevent them from actually practicing their craft which would stunt them as artists., and hurt film-making as a whole.

PRO's assertion that film-makers should be required to follow their script material religiously is absurd. I have shown why fairness to the author and what the fans want are not arguments that lead to requiring this to be, and I have also explained that since film-making is an art form, doing so would be harmful to the medium. I look forward to PRO's comments in the next round.

References:

[1] https://savvybookwriters.wordpress.com...
[2] http://www.seacoastonline.com...
[3] http://www.gamesradar.com...

BittersweetMemories

Pro

First of all, I would like to thank CON for accepting a challenge like this. Honestly I never thought anyone would actually accept it.
Yes it is true that the authors are paid to have it put on the screen as a movie, BUT, to have the entire plot changed would equal writing a different book.
Also, I do acknowledge that movies are art, yet if a movie and book share the same title, the reader and watcher would expect it to be somewhat similar, yet, in some movies, for example Percy Jackson and The Lighting Thief, the plot line is changed. The main goal of the movie was to attain 3 magical pearls and then travel to the underworld, while, even though the pearls do exist in the book, they were mentioned in less than 1 whole page of the book, and were freely given to Percy, the protagonist, by a naiad.
This greatly disappointed the fans, and many considers the Percy Jackson movies as an embarrassment of the fandom and rejects movie fans.
Also, CON said "if changing the story a bit will bring in more money, then they are doing their job." I would like to contradict that. People do indeed care about what the fans think, because they are the ones who spent their money to go to the movie. According to www.hypable.com, there will no longer be a third movie in the Percy Jackson franchise because it received too much hate from the book fans, who were the main viewers, to be able to continue. This proves that the thoughts of fans do matter.
Source: http://www.hypable.com...

Lastly, I believe that if you don't want to "stifle the creativity of [an] artist by forcing them to express another artist's vision," simply choose another director who would make less changes. The book already has a plot, creating a new plot would simply cause an uproar which could have been easily prevents. Complaints about how movies "messed up" books are flying all over the internet. For example, "Lily's eyes are not green!" -Harry Potter; "Where is Madge?" -Hunger Games; "Edward's eye didn't get stabbed with a butterknife!" -Divergent. Stay true to the book could prevent all that.
MrJosh

Con

I would like to thank PRO for his comments. I will address them presently.

Writing a Different Book

PRO has asserted that changing the entire plot of the story is equivalent to writing another book. If this is the case, the producers of a movie have not changed a book at all, but instead have written an entirely new story, which invalidates PRO’s complaint.

Same Title

PRO has asserted that readers/moviegoers would expect that if the name is shared then it should be “somewhat similar.” This is just not the case. To illustrate, there are numerous movies that share names, but have little or nothing similar about their story [1].

Disappointing Fans

PRO claims that making a movie that differs from the book disappoints fans. While I admit that this is often the case, so what? So long as the movie is successful, why must movie producers stay true to the source material?

Making Money

In the previous round, I asserted that producers are doing their job when their movies make money. PRO attempts to contradict me by claiming that “People [producers, I presume] do indeed care about what the fans think…” I concede that this is sometimes the case. However, PRO fails to realize what I actually wrote. I wrote that so long as the movie makes money, it is OK. If the producers make a bad movie, for whatever reason (poor writing, poor effects, poor promotion, etc.), they will not be doing their job, and then I would agree that they should have done something different.

Artistic Creativity

PRO tries to get around my argument about stifling creativity by simply hiring a different director. This misses the entire point. Whoever is making the film would be making someone else’s film.

Staying True

Throughout this debate, PRO has focused on the Percy Jackson movies, complaining that they were not true to their source material. This seems to anger PRO, and he feels it should not have been done. However, PRO has provided no real reason that movies should be required to be true to their source material. PRO’s entire argument boils down to angering the fans, which, as was addressed earlier, doesn’t matter unless it affects profits. In which case, it is the profits that matter, not the fans.

I look forward to PRO’s closing thoughts.

BittersweetMemories

Pro

BittersweetMemories forfeited this round.
MrJosh

Con

Throughout this debate, PRO has argued that movies ought to be made a certain way, but the only real argument brought to bear is that this is the way the fans allegedly want it to be. In the previous two rounds, I have demonstrated that movie producers should not be under any such compulsion, for purposes of artistic creativity, profit, or even making the story more accessible to fans. Since PRO has chosen not to advance any further argument's this round, I will close simply by stating that PRO has not bet the burden held by the initial claim of the debate.
Posted by SB1359 2 years ago
SB1359
You said it!
Posted by DJ26 2 years ago
DJ26
Dang it, if I had found this earlier, I would have voted. I agree with you, instagator. Percy Jackson forever (the books).
Posted by SB1359 2 years ago
SB1359
Ah, what a shame. I agree with the Instigator, but the Contender had better evidence...
Posted by SB1359 2 years ago
SB1359
I REFUSED to watch any more Percy Jackson movies,they are a disgrace! I can see both people's points, but like the Instigator says, it's too much of a let down to the fans to MAJORLY change the plot line.
Posted by MrJosh 2 years ago
MrJosh
My apologies; in my copy/paste haste, I failed to highlight my references for the second round:

References:
[1] http://www.listal.com...
Posted by BittersweetMemories 2 years ago
BittersweetMemories
@Dishough dude...say that to the Percy Jackson fans.
Posted by Dishoungh 2 years ago
Dishoungh
So, movies aren't allowed to interpret another piece of art? How contradictory to the artistic value of movies? As long as the movie is good anyway, who cares?
Vote Placed by Varrack 2 years ago
Varrack
BittersweetMemoriesMrJoshTied
Reasons for voting decision:
AgreeBefore Tied
Agree After Tied
Conduct Con FF
Arguments Tied
Sources Tied
Vote Placed by Illegalcombatant 2 years ago
Illegalcombatant
BittersweetMemoriesMrJoshTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro tried to justify the resolution on the grounds of such things like unfair to author, fan expectations, stifle creativity. Pro was unable to defend in light of Con's objections such as author freely enters into agreements + receives compensation & fan expectations vs profit motive. Creative stifle argument didn't seem to hold up to Cons objections + 1 round forfeit by Pro.
Vote Placed by Wylted 2 years ago
Wylted
BittersweetMemoriesMrJoshTied
Reasons for voting decision: Ff