Barcs
misuraco101

Mozilla Firefox is a better web browser than Microsoft Internet Explorer

Barcs
Started: 10/24/2009 Category: Technology

Barcs

Pro

I affirm the resolution. I will post arguments to suggest that Mozilla Firefox is a better piece of software, overall, based on security, plugs ins, ease of use, memory consumption, stability, compatibility, settings and other additional features. Round 1 will be for my opponent to accept and ask any questions. In round 2, I will begin to present my argument. My opponent must present evidence to suggest that Internet Explorer is better.

I thank my opponent in advance for accepting this debate.
misuraco101

Con

Mozilla Firefox is so over rated. half of the stuff on there i cant figure out. you have to be a computer geek to figure that web browser out. I dont know about everyone else but im in high school and i have alot of homework and i dont have enough time to figure it out. so yea thats my opening agrument
Barcs

Pro

I thank my opponent for accepting this debate and look forward to it.

Mozilla Firefox vs. Internet Explorer:

Security:

Internet Explorer currently has the market share, which means more people use it in the business world and at home. This means that hackers write the majority of scripts and other malicious software specifically targeting Internet Explorer. One major flaw of IE's security is that it manages it's security profiles based on zones. Basically it uses the same security for almost every site, unless you specifically choose otherwise. This allows far too many bad sites to have access to modify IE. Firefox's immense number of plug ins also contribute to its superior security.

Plug ins:

Firefox is greatly superior in the plug ins department. Noscript is a fantastic plug in that allows the user to choose specifically which scripts are allowed to run on a specific webpage, instead of allowing them all by default. Adblock plus is a very easy way to block the majority of ads that you come across on the web. This makes web browsing faster, easier and more secure. Another great plug in is Flashblock. This blocks all flash by default and in order to enable it, the user must click on the flash symbol and it will play. This is also great for avoiding ads. There are tons more, and I will mention them in round 3.

Ease of use:

On a standard broadband connection, Firefox can be downloaded in less than a minute, and installed in less than 3 minutes. No restart is required. With Internet Explorer, the user has to go through Windows Update, which takes at least 15 minutes and requires a restart. Once installed, Firefox retains its original menus at top, while later versions of IE have gotten rid of the menu and made it more difficult to find settings and options. This is typical of Microsoft. Clearing the cookies and temp files is simple in firefox and requires 2 clicks, unlike IE.

Stability:

As with most Microsoft products, IE is filled with bugs. As a computer tech, I cannot count the amount of times users have accidentally downloaded viruses and spy ware that hijacks the browser and makes it unusable.

Compatibility:

Firefox is compatible with all the latest versions of Windows, Linux and Mac OS. Internet Explorer is only compatible on Microsoft Windows.

Settings: In Firefox, you can change almost anything. If the user types "about:config" in the address bar, they can access a myriad of settings. You can even make it faster and change the way Firefox behaves. In internet explorer you are much more limited with what you can do, with the exception of the regular security settings.

I look forward to my opponents case for Internet Explorer. I will present more evidence in Round 3 as well as negate my opponents argument. Thank you.
misuraco101

Con

misuraco101 forfeited this round.
Barcs

Pro

Another great feature of Mozilla Firefox is the crash recovery. Two days ago, my computer accidentally reset. At the time I had 2 separate Firefox windows open, both with multiple tabs. When the computer came back up, I opened Firefox and it asked me if I would like to restore my session. I clicked on "yes", and both windows with all of the tabs came back up.

Even though my opponent didn't post, the real purpose behind this was to teach people about Firefox. As long as you have a decent anti-virus program and a decent firewall, Firefox, equipped with the plug ins I mentioned above is virtually untouchable.

Thanks.
misuraco101

Con

misuraco101 forfeited this round.
Posted by RoyLatham 7 years ago
RoyLatham
Barcs, I don't get it either. Con offered no reasons to support his opinion and then forfeited. How did he score points?
Posted by Kane-W 7 years ago
Kane-W
Posted by Barcs 3 minutes ago
"How exactly am I losing this?"

:ninja:
Posted by Barcs 7 years ago
Barcs
How exactly am I losing this?
Posted by Barcs 7 years ago
Barcs
It does eh? Probably another thing they jacked from Mozilla like tabbed browsing.
Posted by Kane-W 7 years ago
Kane-W
IE has crash recovery too so :p
Posted by FireXtol 7 years ago
FireXtol
I refuse your argument and propose Opera FTW.
Posted by ReganFan 7 years ago
ReganFan
For someone like myself who is afraid of change internet explorer is comforting.
Posted by Danielle 7 years ago
Danielle
It sucks that all e-mails on DDO only come out as a wall of text with Firefox.
Posted by Xer 7 years ago
Xer
OK, Mr. Literal.
Posted by Puck 7 years ago
Puck
Renders the statement somewhat pointless then.
Vote Placed by Barcs 7 years ago
Barcs
Barcsmisuraco101Tied
Vote Placed by Xer 7 years ago
Xer
Barcsmisuraco101Tied
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 7 years ago
RoyLatham
Barcsmisuraco101Tied
Vote Placed by Eros 7 years ago
Eros
Barcsmisuraco101Tied
Vote Placed by Kane-W 7 years ago
Kane-W
Barcsmisuraco101Tied