Vinsanity
Cody_Franklin

Mrs. Calen is Satan

Cody_Franklin

Vinsanity

Pro

A teacher at my high school is evil. Her name is Ms. Calen. Notice the fact that it is Ms. Calen and not Mrs. Calen, because no one in their right minds would marry Satan.

I will explain myself more clearly when someone accepts this debate. Thank you to any opponet who accepts this debate.
Cody_Franklin

Con

First of all, I'd like to point out that, while you say your teacher is Satan in the resolution, the first words in your post are "A teacher at my high school is evil." While Satan is evil, it doesn't logically follow that everything that is evil is Satan.

Secondly, keep in mind that while you say "it is Ms. Calen and not Mrs. Calen", the resolution clearly specifies Mrs. Calen, so you're definitely contradicting yourself there.

Third, the idea that your teacher is Satan is purely subjective, and there is no objective proof that your teacher, Mrs. Calen, is Satan. While your opinion may agree with this resolution, your beliefs are not instrumental to the debate; because, obviously, if all your opinions were accepted as fact, there would be no sense of fair play, since you could say anything and it would automatically become true.

Fourth, if Biblical Scripture is to be believed, the incarnation of Satan on Earth would also come with Armageddon; and, considering that Hellfire and Brimstone are not raining down, and that the final battle of Good and Evil is not happening at this time, it shows that your teacher cannot be Satan.

Fifth, while I agree preliminarily with this idea that your teacher may cause students to suffer, keep in mind that

1. This isn't necessarily on purpose; many kids don't like school, but that is the choice of the kids, not the fault of the teachers; they are there to help willing kids learn, not to be every student's best friend.

2. Even if this Mrs. Calen was deriving enjoyment from making your school experience a miserable one, that does not make her what you claim. Humans can be sadistic, yes, but that is still not definitive proof that she is indeed Satan.
Vinsanity

Pro

I would like to apologize for causing confusion. To clarify, I was saying that a teacher at my school, Ms. Calen is Satan. I thank my opponent for accepting this debate.

1) "if Biblical Scripture is to be believed, the incarnation of Satan on Earth would also come with Armageddon; and, considering that Hellfire and Brimstone are not raining down"
I think you have not read scripture very carefully. In Revelations the order goes as such: 1st: Trumpets will sound and the people who have gave their heart to God will rise to Heaven. 2) There will be a 3.5 year period of Tribulations. In which everything will be fine and a leader will arise. 3rd) 3.5 period where that leader will claim to be Jesus, and everyone shall follow him, but he will betray the people and cause Hell on Earth.
http://scriptures.lds.org...

The 2nd period of Tribulations is when Hellfire and Brimstone would be raining down. Who's to say that the trumpets haven't already came, but we don't remember it. In that case we could be living in the first Tribulations right now. Ms. Calen could possibly be that leader, because next year she said she is trying to get into congress.

Once again I think my opponent and wish him luck with his argument.
Cody_Franklin

Con

I don't tend to read scripture much. That much I can say is true.

So, first of all, the point of the Trumpets in Revelations is to make sure that God has our complete attention; if those trumpets had sounded, everyone on Earth would know about it.

Plus, if this is the first period of Tribulations, also keep in mind that you would not KNOW whether or not Ms. Calen was indeed Satan, because her identity would be secret (also apply the scripture you quoted; "and everyone shall follow HIM"; from what you give us, the incarnation of Satan on Earth would most definitely have to be a male; which, Ms. Calen is not.

Even from the evidence you give to us, however, there is no definite proof that Ms. Calen actually IS Satan; you explain Tribulations, but give no reason as to how that applies to your Ms. Calen: In fact, you say, and I quote, "Ms. Calen could possibly be that leader". You yourself mention that she could POSSIBLY be that leader, but the topic you offer requires definitive proof, beyond reasonable doubt, that Ms. Calen absolutely is Satan.

It's evident that you are making flawed assumptions based on certain events; since Ms. Calen is working for Congress, you assume she is trying to take America, and then the world, by the throat; however, I'd like to point out that there are plenty of corrupt Congressmen that are probably far worse than your Ms. Calen. Her reasons for going to Congress could be as much to pass reforms and clean up Congress as it could be to take over the world.

Until you can offer hard evidence supporting the that Ms. Calen IS (not "could possibly be") Satan, this round needs to go to the CON.
Vinsanity

Pro

1) "If those trumpets had sounded, everyone on Earth would know about it."
I'm not saying people wouldn't hear it. I'm sure everybody would know about it. I'm saying that those trumpets already sounded. Then God made us forget, to test our resistance to Satan.

2) "the incarnation of Satan on Earth would most definitely have to be a male"
The scripture does say HIM, but Satan can take on many forms. For example: In Genesis Satan took on the form of a snake that was neither male, nor female. http://www.allaboutcreation.org...
That means that Satan can live in a woman, man, or animal.

3) "The topic you offer requires definitive proof, beyond reasonable doubt, that Ms. Calen absolutely is Satan."
If this statement is true, and you are con to Ms. Calen being Satan, then that means YOU require definitive proof that Ms. Calen ISN'T Satan.

I thank my opponent for having this debate with me, and I wish him luck
Cody_Franklin

Con

First of all, I'd like to point out that God wouldn't make us forget; God has used thousands of years to test resistance to Satan; the point of sounding the trumpets is to signal Mankind that the end is coming; even if what you say were true, that in no way proves that Ms. Calen is Satan. So on the whole, your argument there doesn't apply.

2. The Bible points out that NOBODY knows who will bring Satan to Earth, or at what time; so looking to scripture, your argument cannot be true, because to assert that your teacher is Satan goes against scriptural evidence. Plus, while he took the form of a snake in Genesis, a snake is not going to be leading the world into oblivion; and, obviously, the Biblical use of the word 'him' denotes that some male would rise up as the incarnation of Satan. Therefore, Ms. Calen cannot be Satan.

3. All you're doing is turning my statement around on me; you don't actually answer the argument. I'm not going to get into a burden debate, suffice to say that since you are both instigator AND pro, thus, you have the primary burden of proof; if you cannot prove that Ms. Calen is Satan, I oughtn't have to provide evidence to the contrary. What you're essentially arguing is "Because the CON can't prove me wrong, I have to be right." And obviously, this is not sound logic. In short, you have to prove it true; if you don't, then you've done my job for me in proving it false.

Still, by trying to turn my own argument against me, you still fail to provide ANY instance that could prove Ms. Calen to be Satan; no classroom examples, no personal experiences, nothing. The only thing you did bring up, Ms. Calen going to Congress, was addressed by me in my last post, but you completely dropped it; so, even when you tried to provide justification of your position, it still fell through since you did not extend it through.

Also, you drop the point I make about your admission that "Ms. Calen could possibly be that leader", and that you yourself are admitting that you cannot absolutely prove the resolution to be true.

To tie this round together, there are a few things you need to keep in mind while voting:

1. He drops several of my arguments in his last post.

2. His admission that Ms. Calen is only possibly Satan, not that she IS Satan.

3. He fails to link many of his arguments to the resolution, either offering a Red Herring (A logical fallacy where one debater attempts to capitalize on an insignificant argument or detail of the resolution); this came on his first point dealing with the trumpets.

4. The BIGGEST argument, is that he not only tries to weasel out of his burden as both the writer and proponent of this resolution (instigator and PRO), but he tries to pin the burden of absolutely disproving the resolution on me; and, of course, I have already explained the problem here in great detail.

5. Finally is the fact that, in all the argumentation he presents, he never proves to you, or even attempts to prove, that his teacher, Ms. Calen, is Satan; he calls her evil, mentions possibilities, and tries to argue scripture; but no where in there does he link it back to his position; so even if the previous four points I brought up do not appeal to you, then you all will still vote on this crucial fact.

Now that all is said and done, it's clear that this round goes CON.
Vote Placed by Lexicaholic 8 years ago
Lexicaholic
VinsanityCody_FranklinTied
Vote Placed by pcmbrown 8 years ago
pcmbrown
VinsanityCody_FranklinTied
Vote Placed by mongoose 8 years ago
mongoose
VinsanityCody_FranklinTied
Vote Placed by Cody_Franklin 8 years ago
Cody_Franklin
VinsanityCody_FranklinTied