124275
3_LITTLE_birds

Multiculturalism shouldn't be endorsed as much as it is.

124275

Pro

I disagree with the idea that people should be forced into multiculturalism.
3_LITTLE_birds

Con

Your use of the term "should" denotes that you think it is unethical for others--you don't specify who--to support the idea of multiculturalism. I like this definition of multiculturalism from dictionary.com; "The view that the various cultures in a society merit equal respect and scholarly interest." Although I am technically "con" in this debate (because of the way you phrased your argument), I believe the burden of proof is on you to prove supporting multiculturalism is somehow unethical.

In the USA, we live in a multicultural society. Cooperation helps societies to achieve greater ethical goals e.g. curbing the spread of a disease. Supporting multiculturalism enhances understanding of different cultures and thereby helps people of different cultures to cooperate more effectively to achieve ethical goals.
124275

Pro

I don't think that it is unethical. What I ment was that the effects of multiculturalism are not all positive. For example, political correctness is partially caused by multiculturalism. I think that people should be able to say what they want (within reason) and not be constrained by a small number of people taking offence. It is obviously bad to offend people but it can be nessesary when talking about some issues and nother being abe to speek yourban truefully feelings is the oposited ofor ourban rIghtfield tof freedom of speech.

Secondly, I don't think that all cultures and religions can live together without compromise. For example, Muslims and Christians. Many, but not all, Muslims want to be able to carry out shariah law however they are unable to do this in wertern countries as most western people dislike it. It isn't multiculturalism if all cultures need to change to keep everyone happy.

An important issue in this debate is racism. I disagree with racism although it is almost enviable when a multicultural society is made too quickly. There are many examples of this in the United States. One example is in Los Angeles where there is a large black white divide.
3_LITTLE_birds

Con

I entirely agree with you about political correctness often being taken too seriously. I am a strong advocate for freedom of speech, and I think it is best that people can speak freely so we can understand how they think and discuss differences.

You think that it is impossible for all cultures and religions to live together without compromise, but there is always compromise in every society. Cultures and religions, as you point out, are not uniform, and even within nations that appear to be dominated by one culture, differences must be dealt with, often with compromises. Life as we know it involves putting up with each other. Believe me, some of the people from my culture piss me off the most. Religion, when practiced correctly, should only serve to make accepting others easier.

Racism is something that multiculturalism, as inadequate as it is, strives to defeat. When one is taught the reasoning behind the seemingly strange behaviors of another culture, often it becomes less strange. I'm not saying that every culture is right in all its traditions and philosophies. However all cultures seem to have in common what they take seriously, even if they deal with the issues in very different ways, for example freedom, truth, murder, sex crimes, happiness, and death. Ethical philosopher James Rachels says that, "The difference is in our belief systems, not in our values."

Racism is not inevitable, I think France is a good example of an ethically diverse country that has historically been very accepting of different races, particularly those of African descent. There are reasons why racism is reinforced in many countries. From the moment what is now the USA was colonized, non-whites and immigrants were treated as lesser to serve the needs of those in power. Poor whites were treated slightly better than these others and developed an unfounded, warped sense of pride. Unfortunately, this game that the powerful used to distract the less powerful has festered in American society to this day.
124275

Pro

Of course it would be good if multiculturalism worked but there are major differences between cultures as I said before. For example, the Quran says that if a person leaves Islam, they are to be killed and non-bilievers are treated as second class citizens. This can be easily seen in Europe with the massive influx of Islamic migrants.
3_LITTLE_birds

Con

The Quran and the Bible are very similar. They both contain some horrible things that no one ever practiced, e.g. Jeremiah 19:9. Just like Christians, most Muslims are moderates and ignore awful verses like the ones you refer to, for example the Jordanian people. Europe has had no documented problems caused by refugees. It is only a small, ignorant portion of European society that dislikes the refugees. There wouldn't be any refugees had the USA and some of its European allies overthrown regimes in the Middle East without thinking of the consequences. This is exactly why we need multiculturalism--to dispel the myths that the media and those with military-industrial-complex agendas would have us believe.
124275

Pro

124275 forfeited this round.
3_LITTLE_birds

Con

3_LITTLE_birds forfeited this round.
3_LITTLE_birds

Con

Looks like we both forgot about this one. Thanks for the debate!