crazypenguin
Zero

Multipe Fire Drills at Schools do more good than harm

Con Tied Pro

crazypenguin

Con

I would like to start off by saying that multiple fire drills at schools do more harm than good because everytime a fire alarm goes I know me and my classmates will go "Oh another fire drill" Since we have done so many fire drills none of us actually think that it is real just a drill so we never take it seriously.

thanks
Zero

Pro

Greetings to my fair audience and to my diligent opponent.

In response to the instigator saying:

"I would like to start off by saying that multiple fire drills at schools do more harm than good because every time a fire alarm goes I know me and my classmates will go "Oh another fire drill" Since we have done so many fire drills none of us actually think that it is real just a drill so we never take it seriously."

If anything though, you students are in the mode of following the "fire drill" code of conduct, are you not? In other words, you are all well used to walking out of the building every time a fire drill occurs. If this is indeed the case, then wouldn't having multiple fire drills only make you more well prepared on how to respond to a real fire drill?

On the other hand, if you were to have a fire drill every once in a while, you wouldn't be as familiar with how to deal with a fire drill. In other words, things are less likely to go as planned when there are not multiple fire drills. Rather, anarchy amongst your ranks is more likely to occur as you students wouldn't be as nearly as familiar in actual dealing with a so-called "fire."

I'll have more to my case when my opponent answers my questions.

END OF ROUND 1.
crazypenguin

Con

Thanks for taking this debate,

First I will rebutt my oppenents points

"If anything though, you students are in the mode of following the "fire drill" code of conduct, are you not? In other words, you are all well used to walking out of the building every time a fire drill occurs. If this is indeed the case, then wouldn't having multiple fire drills only make you more well prepared on how to respond to a real fire drill?"

Since we are in the mode of following the fire drill code of conduct then everytime the fire alarm rings, we think it is still a fire drill because we are so used to following the fire drill code of conduct. Also everytime we go to line up all of us are talking walking in a blob etc. because none of us are taking it seriously as a real fire.

Actually we would be prepared for the fire becasue of the couple of fire drills we had but also would be more serious because you never know if its a real fire because it doesnt happen often, or if its a fire drill because we have a couple during the school year so your always on your toes when the fire alarm sounds.

Thanks,
Zero

Pro

Now for my rebuttal:

"Since we are in the mode of following the fire drill code of conduct then everytime the fire alarm rings, we think it is still a fire drill because we are so used to following the fire drill code of conduct. Also everytime we go to line up all of us are talking walking in a blob etc. because none of us are taking it seriously as a real fire."

Thank you for the clarification. Ladies and gentleman, my diligent opponent has made it quite clear as to what this "harm" is in having multiple fire drills. He is of the belief that students merely socializing as well as walking during the drill is problematic. I shall respond to both of these "problems" in detail:

RE WALKING: Actually, walking during a fire drill should be encouraged. Honestly now, what point would there be in all of the students running (assuming the fire hasn't gotten to the point where there is no choice but to run, which is typically unlikely given that the school's smoke detectors would detect the fire long before it got to that point)? If anything, the instigator would be encouraging students to trample over one another and behave in a disorderly behavior (because lets face it, why would students RUN in an orderly line).

RE TALKING: Again, not a problem. The instigator is of the flawed impression that socializing with one another while moving outside the building is a problem, but given that this in no way impedes students from actually getting out of the building, this is no problem at all. If anything, it is beneficial given that it will encourage students to be more relaxed during a fire. After all, the last thing we'd want our kids to be doing is having nervous breakdowns and responding in an "out of control" manner while the fire occurred. This would no doubt be extremely harmful.

"Actually we would be prepared for the fire because of the couple of fire drills we had but also would be more serious because you never know if its a real fire because it doesn't happen often, or if its a fire drill because we have a couple during the school year so your always on your toes when the fire alarm sounds."

Firstly, in acknowledging that he'd be prepared, he is acknowledging that the previous fire drills in the past have done plenty of good, therefore negating the resolution (keep in mind, he should be AGAINST the idea of multiple fire drills). You are automatically obligated to vote in favor of the contender because of this. Furthermore, it is unlikely that the students would be able to detect a real life fire before the smoke detectors. Unless the smoke detectors fail, most of the students in a decently sized school building would likely be directed out of the building before even realizing that there was an actual fire.

Most importantly, it is common knowledge that school fires don't occur often, so it is highly unlikely that students would be "ON THEIR TOES" as the instigator puts it. Kids aren't so foolish as to not see that these fire drills would be done without actual being real. There's nothing to indicate that students would immediately start "freaking out" every once in a while the fire drill was initiated. Ergo, Mr. crazypenguin's theory is revealed for the baseless conjecture it is!

For a brief overview, not only is it shown that the instigator is in favor of my stance, but the so-called problems he listed as being where this "harm" comes from has been swiftly refuted. Not to mention that I've covered why his "proposal" doesn't bring about the benefits he presumes. Therefore, this looks to be nothing more than a unanimous vote in favor of the contender.
crazypenguin

Con

crazypenguin forfeited this round.
Zero

Pro

It is most unfortunate that our diligent instigator could not pick up his sword and continue this one on one duel of ours. Such a pity. Alas, he hasn't respond, therefore, my previous arguments go unquestioned.

BOTTOMLINE: The contender wins this debate not only because the instigator had ended up agreeing with the enormous good multiple fire drills do in school during the previous round, but also because none of his reasons can be considered as truly being harmful; if anything, his reasons are positive attributes that favor my side of the resolution. Thus, it would be within your best interest to vote in favor of the contender. Thank you.
Posted by Rezzealaux 9 years ago
Rezzealaux
Zero-sama should be getting all the votes.
Posted by Zero 9 years ago
Zero
Crazypenguin, would you mind offering a reason for decision concerning the vote you made for yourself? If not, I have no problem. Just for the sake of discussion, I am rather interested.
Posted by Zero 9 years ago
Zero
I'm purchasing some pizza for my brother and shall return within 30-45 minutes.
Posted by Zero 9 years ago
Zero
For those reading, the titles "CON" and "PRO" are irrelevant. Be it far better to simply to negate whatever position my opponent takes on rather than cheaply rely on the technicalities that may be derived by accidental bumblings through this website's machinations.
Vote Placed by sdcharger 9 years ago
sdcharger
crazypenguinZeroTied
Vote Placed by TheSkeptic 9 years ago
TheSkeptic
crazypenguinZeroTied
Vote Placed by crazypenguin 9 years ago
crazypenguin
crazypenguinZeroTied
Vote Placed by burningpuppies101 9 years ago
burningpuppies101
crazypenguinZeroTied
Vote Placed by padfo0t 9 years ago
padfo0t
crazypenguinZeroTied
Vote Placed by Logical-Master 9 years ago
Logical-Master
crazypenguinZeroTied
Vote Placed by Im_always_right 9 years ago
Im_always_right
crazypenguinZeroTied
Vote Placed by LakevilleNorthJT 9 years ago
LakevilleNorthJT
crazypenguinZeroTied
Vote Placed by Xera 9 years ago
Xera
crazypenguinZeroTied
Vote Placed by Renzzy 9 years ago
Renzzy
crazypenguinZeroTied