Muse is the best band currently working

Started: 1/25/2015 Category: Music

Muse is amazing. They craft music. I've never heard anyone say they don't like Muse. I'll take their side any day.

Con can choose a band they believe is better than Muse and tell why they believe this to be true.

Focus on quality, performance level, lyrics, skill, etc.

I'll accept your challenge, knave of music; I propose that King Crimson, the longstanding grandfather of prog rock since 1968, is a better modern band than Muse.

Bring on the arguments naysayer!

Muse is a great band. They know how to cross genres like classic rock, alternative rock, progressive rock, and space rock. They have a miraculous sound that stretches from a more intense, brain-frying sound in their earlier albums to the orchestral-featured symphonies that sound like nothing else in this current world of music. In a time where many claim music is dead, Muse is a shining beacon of hope.

The members of muse all contribute so much. Dominic Howard does excellent drum work. Christopher Wolstenholme's bass lines are always innovative and surprising. Matt Bellamy has an astounding voice, calling back to the great Freddie Mercury. He also has a good deal of skill with the piano.

Muse is amazing at creating themes. Probably the best since Pink Floyd. The albums The 2nd Law, The Resistance, and Black Holes and Revelations, all have driving themes that make the listening experience so much more. The songs flow so well and the lyrics are sometimes twisted and sometimes poetic. Muse really channels Queen, Pink Floyd, David Bowie, and so many other artists, but while being inspired by these artists, they also create their own sound. A miraculous sound.

Muse may be a talented modern band, but their expertise may never truly match the longstanding legacy of King Crimson.

King Crimson first started off as an experimental band around 1968 in London, and has been considered to be the father of prog rock as a whole, creating their own musical genre emulated by generations of other prog rock bands to come - including Muse. Ever since then, they've grown older, and even let some new musicians on the team when others left the group. The years and passing down of experience from generation to generation of King Crimson has ultimately led to a refined sound which still emulates the quality of their earlier albums in the olden days.

As an example of one of their jams, here is an excerpt of their 2014 rehearses for Elstree. Notice the crazy drumming and the clever use of a flute solo in the second half of the excerpt:

One concert which I would recommend giving a listen is King Crimson's live performance in Japan in 2003, which you can enjoy here:

The introductory soundscape played by robert fripp is incredible, considering that he is capable of creating such a smooth and consistent ambient sound using a guitar. One would almost think he was playing a violin or a cello of some kind.

The band also continues to play some of its nostalgic songs, such as their haunting classic In the Court of the Crimson King as well as 21st Century Schizoid Man. No lover of music could possibly live and die without ever hearing In the Court of the Crimson King, with the imagery of various colors, tastes, sensations, and emotions all expressed in seven minutes of musical glory. Popular bands have written covers on this song. I mean, I can't believe that not many people know this song or King Crimson, or have never heard this song, or - you know what, have it here:

King Crimson version:

And I'm kicking myself, because I can't find a modern King Crimson version of 21st Century Schizoid Man anywhere, but some other modern band called Rx Bandits does a cover on it also. It just goes to show the influence King Crimson has had in the world of music:

Muse is a great band sure, but I think that King Crimson could easily be considered a better modern band than Muse.

King Crimson may have had their share of influences among many bands, but it seems most of their prime was in the past. They may still continue performing, but their modern influence seems to have faded. You even yourself claim not many have even heard of them, and I would argue Pink Floyd, Yes, and Jethro Tull are all more well known bands that had heavy influence on many progressive rock acts to follow.

Muse is very good at experimenting and creating new sounds. In their earlier days, they clearly had a frying sound, almost metal influenced. They knew how to mix prog rock with electronic in a way that is exciting and so pleasing to the ear. Take for example the song Plug In Baby. This song opens with a killer riff and a great bass line. When the chorus arrives, I get goosebumps. Matt Bellamy's voice is so powerful and smooth, it's astounding. This song effortlessly dances through several genres, but finds a perfect balance.

Then you experience their opera. Yes, Muse created a rock opera, Exogenesis: Symphony. It shows how well versed Muse is, that they are able to combine classical music with rock and create something we rarely see these days. This is an amazing piece of music. It's long, but it's so worth the listen. No band currently working would dare to create something like this. It's masterful.

Muse has great instrumentalists. The song Panic Station highlights the amazing bass work. I provided a bass cover to specifically highlight the sounds basslines hardly go for. In the song, Knights of Cydonia, we hear an amazing guitar solo, hailing back to the classics. The guitar sounds used range from a typical shredding sound to an almost surf-rock vibe. As for the drums, have a listen to the driving drum part on Apocalypse Please.

King Crimson had their time. They influenced and crafted, but over time, they've simply faded, despite the fact the band still remains. Muse is able to balance the current sounds of alternative rock with a throwback progressive feel, all the while mixing in operatic and electronic influences. There's simply no band quite like them. I guarantee that in the future, many will remember Muse as one of the best of this time period.

Impact94 forfeited this round.
Posted by LegendOfMatt888 1 year ago
Yes, it needs to be a band currently working.
Posted by UndeniableReality 1 year ago
I forgot that Muse was also a band, and not just an EEG headset =P
Posted by Esiar 1 year ago
Muse means to think. If you put an A in front of things, it means it is the opposite of.

Rock music is amusing.
Posted by Impact94 1 year ago
"Any" band? As in, the time period does not matter? Does the band need to still be playing?
Vote Placed by Paleophyte 1 year ago
Reasons for voting decision: Con forfeited the final round