RationalMadman
Zeph

Music Battle: Inner Struggle

Started: 11/11/2012 Category: Arts

RationalMadman

Pro

As someone who enjoys inner stuggle songs, I thought I would like to compete my favourites with someone else's.

May the best music fan win!

;
Zeph

Con

Hello, PRO! This is my first debate on DDO...though it isn't an actual debate, I am excited nonetheless. As I understand, we need to post our favorite songs per round.

I call your Chris Brown and raise you an Ellie Goulding then.
RationalMadman

Pro

That song is nothing to do with an inner stuggle.
;

This is about one's struggle to control an addiction to sex and drugs.
Zeph

Con

I would like to thank PRO for providing a quick reply to my Round 1 and would like to take a moment to thank him for a rousing first debate.
____________________________________________________________________
PRO's Claim: "That song is nothing to do with an inner stuggle."

Clearly, PRO did not intently listen to the lyrics of the song as they state in the very first stanza of the song:
"I had a way then losing it all on my own
I had a heart then but the queen has been overthrown
And I'm not sleeping now, the dark is too hard to beat
And I'm not keeping now, the strength I need to push me

You show the lights that stop me turn to stone
You shine it when I'm alone
And so I tell myself that I'll be strong
And dreaming when they're gone
'Cause they're calling, calling, calling me home
Calling, calling, calling home
You shine it when I'm alone
Home"

As we can see, PRO's argument that this song is not about an inner struggle is clearly moot as the lyrics point out a person going through the darker stages of depression and someone who is continuously prodding at her depression makign it worse and worse, but in the end she will be able to fight through it. I listened to this song whenever I was going through depression myself. Shine on. :D
________________________________________________________________________________________________
ROUND 2 SUBMISSION

Now this song can be seen from two different angles. From the angle I see it, it is a teenage boy who is struggling to meet his parents expectations, but continually fails to. Or there is the adult side of a spouse failing to meet his or her mates expectations, could be an abusive relationship. It is all dependant on how the listener perceives it. Though regardless, a classic, great Linkin Park song. Enjoy!

I thank PRO for his time and look forward to the Round 3 rebuttal and submission :D
RationalMadman

Pro

I read the lyrics specifically to check before I said that. I do honestly not see how they represent that of an inner stuggle.

This is a struggle of depression.

;
Zeph

Con

As PRO has failed to prove why exactly the lyrics from Round 1 do not resemble a inner struggle and uses his own personal view of the song as his determination, it is assumed he concedes his own argument.
______________________________________________________
Round 3 Submission
Stand in the Rain by Superchick

Once again I thank PRO for this very light hearted debate and look forward to his next submission.
RationalMadman

Pro

Although I concede the assertion that your first song is invalid (since I realise one could extremely abstractly see it as an expression of internal expression). I only concede the point not the debate

I should not at all lose any voting points by default for conceding a point I made (and which I sitll firmly believe).

Please vote based on meaning and the song, not our debates. Thank you.

This song needn't have an intro. It's that epic. Suicide.

Zeph

Con

Thank you PRO for a very timely response to the rebuttal and I very much appreciate you conceding the point the the Round 1 song could very easily be seen as an inner struggle. I also do believe that the voters should not deduct points for his concession. It would have been different had he not.

Round 4 Submission
You Found Me by The Fray

This can be simply put as an Inner Struggle to find God. Now before you go and call me religious, please note that I post this not to push religion or whatever, I like it, and it represents a very wide and popular struggle to find God that many, many people go through.

Thank you very much PRO for this debate. I look forward to our final round and look forward to more songs that pique my interest. ;
RationalMadman

Pro

This is how I shall conclude.

;
Zeph

Con

This debate has been truly an amazing one and has certainly broadened my music perspective and I hope it did the same for everyone else as well.

As for my Round 5 Submission, here it is.

Round 5 Submission
Breaking the Habit by Linkin Park

Now I understand that this is a band repeat. But I STRONGLY believe this is the quintessential song on Inner Struggle.

Do enjoy the music and best of luck to PRO.
Posted by darkcity 4 years ago
darkcity
nice idea, no need to type too much and probably not much referencing ; -)
Posted by RationalMadman 4 years ago
RationalMadman
yes
Posted by darkcity 4 years ago
darkcity
How does this debate work, is it just about post a song each round?