tejretics
FourTrouble

Music Battle

Voting Style: Open Point System: Select Winner
Started: 5/11/2016 Category: Arts

tejretics

Pro

This is a "music battle," where each debater puts their selected songs or pieces of music, and the judges post RFD's on who has the the most beautiful music. There must only be one piece/song per round, and debaters are free to say a few words on why they think their song is great. Debaters are also welcome to comment on why they like/dislike their opponent's piece, or anything relating to their opponent's pieces. In each round (except this one), debaters must (1) post a link to their song, (2) name the song and its artist, and (3) if they want to, comment on the songs.

Votes in this debate should not give any points to either side -- judges must only provide RFD's, without actually allotting points against "who do you think won the debate?"

First round is acceptance.
FourTrouble

Con

This is gonna be good. Gonna go through a range of styles.
tejretics

Pro

I'll begin by thanking FT for accepting. Let's get to it.

My first song is Rickie Lee Jones's "On Saturday Afternoons in 1963," a song from her debut album. It's a very soothing song that gives a sense of melancholic finality that most songs don't give us (i.e. musicians try and fail to do it). The song's rhythmic tune and its lyrics talk about blissful reminiscence of childhood back in the 60's.

I was introduced to the song last year, in a scene in the medical drama "House," when the eponymous character is walking across a lacrosse field, imagining a game going on as he remembers his days playing golf - something he isn't able to do anymore, thanks to a limb infarction in his quadriceps muscle.

This song serves almost as a reminder to why "nostalgia" was classified as a disease. According to Robert Hamilton:

"In the year 1782, while I lay in barracks at Tin mouth in the north of England, a recruit who had lately joined the regiment ... was returned in sick list, with a message from his captain, requesting I would take him into the hospital. He had only been a few months a soldier; was young, handsome, and well-made for the service; but a melancholy hung over his countenance, and wanness preyed on his cheeks. He complained of a universal weakness, but no fixed pain; a noise in his ears, and giddiness of his head. ... As there were little obvious symptoms of fever, I did not well know what to make of the case. ... Some weeks passed with little alteration ... excepting that he was evidently become more meager. He scarcely took any nourishment . . . became indolent. ... He was put on a course of strengthening medicines; wine was allowed him. All proved ineffectual. He had now been in the hospital three months, and was quite emaciated, and like one in the last stage of consumption. ... On making my morning visit, and inquiring, as usual, of his rest at the nurse, she happened to mention the strong notions he had got in his head, she said, of home, and of his friends. What he was able to speak was constantly on this topic. This I had never heard of before. ... He had talked in the same style, it seems, less or more, ever since he came into the hospital. I went immediately up to him, and introduced the subject; and from the alacrity with which he resumed it.. I found it a theme which much affected him. He asked me, with earnestness, if I would let him go home. I pointed out to him how unfit he was, from his weakness to undertake such a journey [he was a Welchman] till once he was better; but promised him, assuredly, without farther hesitation, that as soon as he was able he should have six weeks to go home. He revived at the very thought of it. . . . His appetite soon mended; and I saw in less than a week, evident signs of recovery."

The same feeling of melancholy escapes into the air from the subtle rhythm of the song.
FourTrouble

Con

Whitney - No Woman

https://www.youtube.com...

You probably don't know Whitney. Their album hasn't even been released yet. But they're great. Saw them live a couple days ago in Fort Collins, Colorado. My cousin is in the band. So hopefully you like them.
tejretics

Pro

Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb

https://www.youtube.com...

This song is absolutely awesome - not much else to say. Also, Pink Floyd is great.
tejretics

Pro

Yanni - Felitsa

https://www.youtube.com...

It's so clear that Yanni brings every ounce of emotion he can gather into the song. Playing any instrument isn't something mechanical, with a fixed structure. It's something that allows for the free flow of oneself into one's body. I've played the piano and violin before, and I know this -- to have true skill with either instrument, you should be able to exercise every bit of one's body and one's mind. Playing a piano, for instance, isn't just about the movements of fingers. It's about every touch upon a key being light, and slow movements as one finds a rhythm. And Yanni brings that rhythm. The serene smile on his face reflects the happiness that lies in sweet reminiscence of his mother, alongside the hint of sadness at her passing.

I was introduced to this song by two friends of mine - one of them my closest friend, and the other a relatively distant one. Let's call them X and Y, for their privacy (the latter has a DDO account too). X and Y were, before I came to know Y (my closest friend) very well, best friends and they were like brothers... they shared everything with each other. They drifted apart due to Y distancing himself slightly from X, which X didn't like at all. X -- a relatively immature person back then -- decided that he wouldn't ever like anything Y did anymore, and that close connection they had (like brothers) was lost. I don't like the idea of losing friends, and I've tried to convince Y to make it up with X for a while since. And Yanni's "Felitsa" is, right now, the only thing that connects them - I have little doubt that it's important to my closest friend. So it is, by extension, important to me.
FourTrouble

Con

Joanna Newsom - Time as a Symptom

https://www.youtube.com...

This song is my favorite off Joanna Newsom's latest album, "Divers." For those who haven't heard her before, give this a shot. It's not easy to get into but it's perfect in all ways, the melodies, harmonies, lyrics, everything.

The lyrics in this particular song are about the way love brings our own mortality to the fore. At some point, she sings, "Love is not a symptom of time. Time is a symptom of love." The idea is that when you're in love, there's so much joy, but it's always pointed towards death, because there's someone in your life that you can't bear to lose. And for the first time, death stops being abstract. It becomes real. So time becomes real, a symptom of love, as Newsom describes it. It's a beautiful song, a powerful philosophical reflection on the moment, and poetic as fvck. I hope you enjoy it!
tejretics

Pro

Dewayne Everettsmith - It's Like Love

https://www.youtube.com...

This is a beautiful piece; I hope you like it.
FourTrouble

Con

Hedwig and the Angry Inch - The Origin of Love

https://www.youtube.com...

This song is from the rock musical and movie Hedwig and the Angry Inch. Good movie worth checking out if you haven't seen it.
Posted by tejretics 6 months ago
tejretics
>conduct to con for being nice and putting his cousin's song.

lol
Posted by Wylted 6 months ago
Wylted
Like I said, bring it fool
Posted by Wylted 6 months ago
Wylted
Actually the sound on this one might be better quality https://youtu.be...
Posted by Wylted 6 months ago
Wylted
https://youtu.be...

As requested
Posted by tejretics 6 months ago
tejretics
btw FT, I really liked "No Woman"
Posted by tejretics 6 months ago
tejretics
Wylted's vote is mostly spot on, though :p
Posted by tejretics 6 months ago
tejretics
lol @ Wylted's vote
Posted by FourTrouble 6 months ago
FourTrouble
lol post your uncle's song, let's see it.
Posted by Wylted 6 months ago
Wylted
I will do a song battle with FT. Your cousins songs, vs my uncle's songs
Posted by tejretics 6 months ago
tejretics
I've already posted, nevermind.
Vote Placed by fire_wings 6 months ago
fire_wings
tejreticsFourTrouble
Who won the debate:--
Reasons for voting decision: I like beautiful and soothing music. I like relaxing music, not the heavy songs. I liked Tej's 2nd round, it was very soothing. FourTrouble was nice enough to put his cousin's music, and the song was great, but kinda too loud. Tej's Pink Flyod song was good, awesome, not really soothing though. I liked tej's music overall, it was more soothing, but I would give conduct to con for being nice and putting his cousin's song.
Vote Placed by Sapphique 6 months ago
Sapphique
tejreticsFourTrouble
Who won the debate:--
Reasons for voting decision: Great debate by both of you. Tej: My favorites from your rounds are probably Felitsa and On Saturday Afternoons in 1963. Eventually I might want to try my hand at making a cover of Felitsa ^.^ FT: It's so cool that your cousin is in a band :D Time, As a Symptom grew on me, I think. It was a bit odd at first but I came to like it. I also really liked The Origin of Love. Thanks to both of you for introducing me to new music :)
Vote Placed by Wylted 6 months ago
Wylted
tejreticsFourTrouble
Who won the debate:--
Reasons for voting decision: Neither of you had a michael Jackson song. You both lose. Actually FT wins for being a nice enough guy to pimp a close friend or relatives song for them. Congrats FT