NothingSpecial99
tejretics

Music Battle

Reasons for your voting decision - Required
The Voting Period Ends In
Started: 9/22/2016 Category: Music
Updated: 2 months ago Status: Voting Period

NothingSpecial99

Pro

This is a "music battle," where each debater puts their selected songs or pieces of music, and the judges post RFD's on who has the the most beautiful music. There must only be one piece/song per round, and debaters are free to say a few words on why they think their song is great. Debaters are also welcome to comment on why they like/dislike their opponent's piece, or anything relating to their opponent's pieces. In each round (except this one), debaters must (1) post a link to their song, (2) name the song and its artist, and (3) if they want to, comment on the songs.

Votes in this debate should not give any points to either side -- judges must only provide RFD's, without actually allotting points against "who do you think won the debate?"

First round is acceptance.
tejretics

Con

I accept - go for it.
NothingSpecial99

Pro

Kung Fu Piano: Cello Ascends - The Piano Guys

This piece takes the Oogway Ascends theme from the animated movie
Kung Fu Panda and combines it with Frederick Chopin's Prelude Op. 28 No. 20 in C minor while the artists themselves put in a little bit of their own music into this composition. The result I feel is a piece that is unique in its fusion of East and West and ultimately greater than the individual pieces its compsed of. As a person who grew up in a family of Chinese immigrants I feel emotionally connected to the piece.

Admittedly, I was never really good at describing or expressing how I feel in real life or in writing so I can't really describe how I feel listening to this piece, but enjoy. :)

https://www.youtube.com...

tejretics

Con

The Piano Guys - Let It Go

https://www.youtube.com...

What's funny is that I had already intended to post this song. It's cool that Pro picked the same artist as I did. In any case, this is a wonderful song that is in many ways deeply personal to me. I remember watching the movie "Frozen," in early seventh grade, in school. At the same time, there was a call for participation in an elocution competition held in my school. We were only allowed to participate in one competition of that sort each year (it's a specific set of competitions held by my school). I signed up because I wanted to sign up, but my English teacher at the time told me, "I think you're better suited to debate." That single sentence of advise forever changed my life. Because of that, I signed up for the debate competition that academic year much later. I didn't make it through the preliminary round/audition. But I was determined to improve. So I joined DDO.

I don't need to state the level at which DDO changed my life, drawing out new interests, teaching me to articulate a persuasive argument, and actually changing me at various levels, as a person. It changed my school life entirely, too, my interests in school. It improved my grades for the better. The next year (i.e. early this year) I was selected for the same debate competition and came out on top in the first round, though I lost in the second round. I trained myself even more. In April, there was an inter-school debate competition in which I came out as #1, over all the people who'd beaten me before. I qualified to the debate at the global level, and made it through... on the same day I listened to a variant of this song. In the global round held this year, outside of India, I won prizes... and this song played in the awards ceremony, as if a reminder of what had brought me there. This specific version, by the Piano Guys. I hope you like it.
NothingSpecial99

Pro

I do really like Con’s piece. It is one of my favorite pieces and I debated with myself whether to use that piece or the one I posted. I feel that the Piano Guys did a very good job integrating Vivaldi’s Winter with Frozen’s Let it Go making the transitions between the two pieces

Anyway, moving on. This next piece is Crystallize by Lindsey Stirling. The strange thing is, I remember back in 2010 when I was just entering middle school, seeing the artist compete on America’s Got Talent. She made it through the auditions, but was voted off pretty early in the competition. The judges told her that she wouldn’t make it. However, a couple of years later, she refined her style and became a huge sensation on YouTube beginning with this piece. Seeing an artist from their humble beginnings and watch as they rise to the top, you sort of feel a more personal connection.

About the piece itself. I usually do not like what dubstep has to offer. The seemingly random noises sound like cacophony to my ears. However, I give the genre credit as it can be energizing and can get you excited. This piece I feel produces a finely-tuned balance between dubstep and the beautiful sound of the violin and the energy that dubstep brings. I already planned out my music line-up since before I started this debate and to add to the weird string of coincidences between me and Con, the video was filmed in the same place as his Piano Guys piece.

Well enjoy. :)

Crystallize – Lindsey Stirling

https://www.youtube.com...

tejretics

Con

Radiohead - No Surprises

https://www.youtube.com...

Once more, this is very personal to me. I'm one of the few people who has actually been through a major natural disaster, which caused evacuation (though it was not life-threatening). It happened last year, during the 2015 South Indian floods, causing 1.8 million people to be displaced. On 13 November, low-lying parts of the city where I live were inundated, and I live in such a "low-lying part," causing my evacuation. At that time I was able to see genuine human suffering, displacement, death, tragedy, and chaos. And, above all, fear. Fear is a powerful force that should not be underestimated in any situation. During the floods, I volunteered at an animal welfare center where I saw with my eyes the carnage the flood had on innocent animals. At this point, I was deeply emotionally disturb, a disturbance I revealed to no one.

I didn't begin listening to music actively until about that time, because I realized that music could do a lot for my emotional disturbance. One of the first songs I listened to - which resulted in the emotional comfort in question - was Radiohead's "No Surprises," which is why the song is so deeply personal to me. It is an excellent song, and I hope you enjoy it. It is a song that granted me comfort in a time of sadness, and I hope it does the same to other people, because that's what music can do to you. It can relieve you, and help you. I discovered that by real experience, and many millions or even billions of people have in the past.
NothingSpecial99

Pro

Great song by Con. I can definately see why such song would provide comfort in such a situation. I too can somewhat relate as I too volunteer at an animal shelter. While the situation never got near as bad as Con describes it, I too am sympathetic to the suffering of animals. My family ended up adopting two cats from the place.

My final piece for this music battle:

Christina Perri - A Thousand Years

Don't really have a personal story or anything to accompany it. It is just a great song. Enjoy! :)

https://www.youtube.com...;
tejretics

Con

Paramore - The Only Exception

https://www.youtube.com...

Music is one of the best ways to remember things. As years go by, your music tastes keep changing, but if you listen to a song which you once loved, it takes you on a flashback to that moment. That reminiscence is a golden moment, a moment to treasure, especially if that period of your life was among the best you've experienced. That's what this song does for me. In my life, 2016 has probably been the most eventful year, to the extent that events that happened barely a few months ago seem like they happened years ago. In June, as I mentioned above, I went to an academic competition -- a decathlon, of sorts -- which was among the best experiences of my life. It was the same week as Brexit, and on DDO, there was vibrant discussion on the topic, an escape from the usual drama that fills the forums. This was the song I used to listen to then, and listening to it now sends a sort of flashback to one of the best weeks -- if not the best week -- of my life.

It's a great song, too. This isn't "deeply personal" or anything, it's just a song to enjoy. The artists (Hayley Williams and her band, Paramore) crafted the song using a vibrant fusion of alternative rock, and soft/folk rock. I typically don't like soft or folk rock, but when it goes along with alt-rock, it really sounds amazing. The words don't have much meaning to them, but they do reflect strongly about DDO. I discovered the song on DDO, on the comments section of the debate between Bsh1 and Zarroette on same-sex marriage. I listened to it while reading about Brexit. It comforted me at the angst, the distress and fury I had in response to the ghastly shooting at Orlando. It comforted me, it nurtured me, and it continues to remind me of a week of refreshing energy, talking to people from all around the world and experiencing different cultures. All this, while doing what I like best - debate. It's a truly awesome song, and I hope all of you like it.
Posted by NothingSpecial99 1 month ago
NothingSpecial99
@tejretics
I'm sorry that you probably didn't like my second piece. However, I think you'll like the artist's acoustic covers much more.

https://www.youtube.com...
https://www.youtube.com...
https://www.youtube.com...
Posted by tejretics 1 month ago
tejretics
That is the worst logic I've ever heard. Like, by far.
Posted by fire_wings 1 month ago
fire_wings
You should never make funny names
Posted by tejretics 2 months ago
tejretics
>Perri's name is funny, so I don't count it

lol
Posted by dsjpk5 2 months ago
dsjpk5
Fixed.
Posted by NothingSpecial99 2 months ago
NothingSpecial99
Other than their awesome music, I'm also a big fan of their style of music videos filming at some of the most beautiful places in nature.
Posted by tejretics 2 months ago
tejretics
Yeah, I've heard of it thanks to the piece you linked in the debate.
Posted by NothingSpecial99 2 months ago
NothingSpecial99
@tejretics

Just curious, have you heard of the Piano Guys Wonders project. Their goal is to film a music video at all seven wonders of the modern world as follows:

Great Wall of China: (Kung Fu Piano: Cello Ascends)
Christ the Redeemer: (The Mission/How Great Thou Art)
Chich"n Itz": (The Jungle Book/ George Frederic Handel's Sarabande)
Machu Picchu: Not done yet
Petra: Not done yet
Roman Colosseum: Not done yet
Taj Mahal: Not done yet

I don't know about you but I really look forward to what pieces they will play at the other wonders.
Posted by tejretics 2 months ago
tejretics
The original version is one of my mom's favorite songs.
Posted by NothingSpecial99 2 months ago
NothingSpecial99
@tejretics

Yes I do like their version a lot
Vote Placed by Subutai 2 months ago
Subutai
NothingSpecial99tejreticsTied
Reasons for voting decision: Round 2 - I liked pro's song much more than I did con's, particularly comparing the cello parts; pro's song sounded like a modern interpretation on a romantic classical piece, whereas con's song just sounded like a basic modern classical piece, and I find the former much more beautiful than the latter. Round 3 - I find dubstep neither enjoyable nor beautiful, so this round basically automatically goes to con; I didn't love con's song, but I did like it pretty well. Round 4 - As a big Paramore fan, my judgment here is probably a little biased; however, I did enjoy pro's song more than I thought I would given the type of music it was; nevertheless, I must vote con here.
Vote Placed by fire_wings 2 months ago
fire_wings
NothingSpecial99tejreticsTied
Reasons for voting decision: This will remain in a tie. Both had Piano Guys Music, and they are both pretty good. I liked the last round of Pro's, but the name "Perri", I keep thinking of Perry the Platypus, so that doesn't have such a good mark, and Con's round 3, the flood does have surprises, so I don't know why he picked that song, but the song was pretty good. And Pro's round 3, and Con's round 4 are both pretty good. Piano Guys are same same, Perri's name is funny, so I don't count it, and Con has a weird explanation for it, but in the end with the music quality, Con wins.
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 2 months ago
dsjpk5
NothingSpecial99tejreticsTied
Reasons for voting decision: I didn't like either song in the first( really second) round. After that, I found Pro's dubstep piece annoying, and definitely not beautiful. On the other hand, Cons offering by radiohead was soothing, and thus beautiful. Finally, the third round was AGAIN a tie. Both pieces were soothing and introspective. Both were equally beautiful.