Music Battle

Voting Style: Open Point System: Select Winner
Started: 4/11/2015 Category: Arts

This is another music battle but this time I want to change up the rules slightly. Instead of just posting your song/piece, in this debate you can say a few words in each round about why you like that specific artist and/or piece, and you're also welcome to comment on your opponent's pieces (reasons you like or dislike).

I accept :) Thanks to FT for instigating and I look forward to hearing his selections.

I'm gonna start off with Missy Mazzoli. The first time I heard her music was one of the most chilling experiences in my life. For those of you who've never heard her, she's a contemporary composer, and her music is just ridiculously beautiful and inventive. The song I'm choosing is from her first opera, "Song From the Uproar," and it's called "You Are The Dust."

I like to describe her music as high-tech neo-Classicism, and I think you'll see what I mean if you listen to it. I love it, and I hope you do too!

I'm generally not one for opera myself, but that was a really haunting piece, nice.

My first piece is an original composition by The Piano Guys called Arwen's Vigil. It was inspired by LotR and to date it's one of my favorite videos of theirs. The quote that goes with it is: "When Aragorn was abroad, from afar Arwen watched over him in thought" --Lord of the Rings. I thought this was quite fitting, especially since the serenity, elegance, and mystery of the piece really reflect Arwen as a character.

Also, if you haven't listened to The Piano Guys, do it--all of their performances are really beautiful and they put a lot of energy and heart into their work.

I had never heard that. It's a nice piece. Not crazy inventive or original, but I agree the performance had a ton of energy and heart, and that's always awesome to see. I loved the middle, where it built up beautifully and really brought out some powerful emotions.

Here's my next one, from my favorite jazz pianist, Brad Mehldau:

The piece is a jazz cover of a Radiohead song called Exit Music. Unfortunately, I could not find the whole thing on Youtube, so the video cuts off in middle of his improvisation, but it's still totally amazing.

Brad Mehldau is particularly known for his contrapuntal improvisation. Instead of playing chordal accompaniment with his left hand, which is what most jazz pianists do, he plays independent melodies. These melodies interact with other independent melodies in the right hand to create the harmonic progression. It's awesome to experience, as you'll see his left hand improvise freely as a solo voice, which then complements and provides "counterpoint" to the complex melodies played by the right hand. At certain points in the piece, he's improvising four independent lines (bass line, melody, and two guide-tone lines). It's one of the most difficult and mind-blowing things I've ever heard.

Another part of what I love about Brad Mehdau is that he's one of the most innovative jazz musicians ever, but he innovates from within a conventional jazz environment -- a trio covering popular songs. I love that idea, because you'll always recognize the songs, and they're very simple harmonically, which allows the freedom to do crazy stuff with the improvisations.

That counterpoint was very interesting and I've never heard of it before; it's pretty amazing. I'm envious of his coordination to be able to do that. I played piano once but dropped it to continue violin, and I was never spectacular at it :P Very cool piece.

I used this in my previous music battle, but I hope FT doesn't mind. It's a song written by Chen Xi and Dong Dongdong called "Where Has the Time Gone?" (translated from Chinese--DDO doesn't recognize Chinese characters) I first heard this when it was performed on Chun Wan, the show that happens each year in China to celebrate Chinese New Year. It's hard to explain my feelings about this piece exactly since it's in a different language. I think the Chinese is much more elegant and expressive than any English translation...the song is bittwesweet, recalling fond memories of raising a child to adulthood but at the same time lamenting that so much time has already passed so quickly, leaving the writer in old age before he has fully realized it himself.

Translation can be found here (it loses the rhyme and rhythm in translation, but just so you get the general theme):

For the final round, I give you Paco de Lucia.

Paco de Lucia - Minera/Fandango

Paco de Lucia - Entre dos Aguas

If you've never listened to Paco de Lucia, I promise this'll change everything you know about guitar and Spanish music. The first one is a solo piece that moves between two traditional flamenco styles. The second is a Spanish rumba, and it's the piece that put Paco de Lucia on the map in the 70s.

Going with FT's Spanish theme here, one of my last pieces is the first movement of Symphonie Espagnole by Edouard Lalo. I played this piece when I was in eighth grade; it made me feel pretty badass lol. I like the Spanish motifs throughout the piece. It's should I put it...sassy? Lol. I hope you like it, and if you do I recommend listening to the rest of the movements as well.

And my last one is Winter, from Vivaldi's Four Seasons. I like all of the movements. The first movement is crisp and seems to depict the flurries of snow falling from the sky. The 2nd movement is really gorgeous, peaceful, and deceptively simple. The 3rd movement is fast and furious again. Vivaldi gives us all the characteristics of winter--it can be soft and beautiful, or harsh and stormy. Winter is another piece that I have also played. A lot of people can play the notes but getting the right emotions into it is much harder.

Thanks to FT for instigating this debate. It was very enjoyable :D

Posted by RevNge 1 year ago
"Dong Dongdong"? I thought Ching Chong Wong was the worst Asian names could get..
Posted by Sapphique 1 year ago
Oh, I didn't notice that. Sorry.
Hope this one works.
Posted by The-Voice-of-Truth 1 year ago
Have y'all heard Ashokan Farewell? It is a beautiful song.
Posted by FourTrouble 1 year ago
Your link doesn't work -- can you post in comments?
Posted by Sapphique 1 year ago
Two in the last round is fine with me.
Posted by FourTrouble 1 year ago
I just realized this isn't 5 rounds. I forgot to change the setting. Do you want to do 2 pieces in the last round, or just leave it at 3 pieces total?
Vote Placed by Skepsikyma 1 year ago
Who won the debate:Vote Checkmark-
Reasons for voting decision: This was a hard decision, and I wish that I could split the points, lol. I liked the music about equally, with 'You are the Dust' and 'Symphonie Espagnole' both being new to me, and both of which I loved. In the end I gave the win to FT because his descriptions were more in-depth, and touched on a lot of the elements of what made his music so interesting.