Opsianos
Beginner

Music Challenge #2

Voting Style: Open Point System: Select Winner
Started: 1/10/2017 Category: Music

Opsianos

Con

Right...so, the last one that was 7 months ago (wow, time flies) pretty much flopped due to me being unable to submit recordings. So, here goes another one!

Rules and Conditions

1. Each person must provide ONE original performance of any music per round IN ROUNDS 2 AND 3; round 1 being simply for acceptance, and round 4 being a backup round in case if anything goes wrong (taking a page out of Smithereens' book). Only you (yes, you) are to be playing or singing (exception being instrumental accompaniment). Your submission must be in the form of a video or a recording; preferably uploaded to a video-sharing website such as YouTube or Vimeo.

2. There is no limit to the type or duration of music that you select (do try to be reasonable, though).

3. Your performances will be all that are judged; all written content of any sort will not be taken into account when deciding the winner.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

That's it! Each person will submit a total of two videos/recordings; one for each of the second and third rounds. As for voting, simply pick whose music you enjoyed the most; no explanation is needed (but appreciated). The point of this debate (if you can call it that) is not necessarily to win, but to share your music with the DDO community. You cannot automatically accept this debate, so if you would like to, please say that you would in the comments.

Good luck to my opponent, Beginner, and I eagerly await his acceptance. Hope you enjoy the music!
Beginner

Pro

Yaaaaaaaaaas :D:D

Let's go. >:)
Opsianos

Con

Thanks, Beginner.

My first piece is Liszt's piano adaptation of Verdi's Rigoletto opera (originally intended for a vocal quartet), called the Rigoletto Paraphrase in English. The piece itself is highly progressive and rather technically demanding, with rapid chromatic scales and chord sequences spread throughout. Maintaining expression and balancing the harmonies was also pretty difficult--although I'm not sure how well my phone was able to capture that with its poor audio quality.

As for my performance, it definitely wasn't the best--the recording here was most likely around my tenth take in a row (I've been playing this nonstop for an hour by then) due to mostly technical difficulties or me screwing up too badly a couple of times, so I was pretty tired by then and sweating in the hot weather. Also, I'm not sure if you can hear it, but my home phone started ringing in the middle as well, which was extremely annoying. I wish I could make a better one, but I won't be able to record again for the time remaining this round. Anyway, despite its flaws, I hope you enjoy it!

Back to you, Beginner. GLHF!
Beginner

Pro

I had to use my laptop since my phone sucks. So the audio is even worse, but you get more of it. Yay.

Anyway, I'll spare you the gory details of the hours of pointless labor and the state I was in by the time I gave up. Here's one of wayyy too many recordings that I'm not going to bother spending a few hours filing through. I'm sure I have a better one somewhere in the middle of the footage, but I'm no longer in the mood to even hear this piece anymore.

With that said, here it is. Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata Mv. 3. Or part of it. I'm too much of a pleb to learn the whole piece. Enjoy.

On to you Ospianos! :D
Opsianos

Con

My second selection will be Animenz's piano arrangement of Swordland, from the anime Sword Art Online's soundtrack. Regardless of your views on the anime, the song itself is definitely a challenge to learn, but also very fun to play. Warning to viewers: This may be the worst audio quality you will ever experience, and I apologize for it. I really need a camera and not a phone that's entirely cracked with three layers of tape over the mic...so in other words, it is definitely not pleasant to listen to, regardless of the pianist's ability. I hope you'll listen to it anyway, though.

Anyway, that's it for this challenge, unless something goes awry in Beginner's round. Despite technological issues from both of us, it was still fun to do, and I hope to make another one of these soon! Thank you for being a great opponent, Beginner, and thank you all for listening!
Beginner

Pro

I managed to get this one on my phone. Finally got it figured it out. Yay me! :D

Alas this is it. The last piece for this debate. I may not have been able to play the piece in its entirety nor was I able to play it without making one or two little mistakes every time (yeah frustrating), but here it is anyway: a short segment of Liszt's Grande Etude no. 3, La Campanella.

Thank you everyone for listening, and thank you again, Opsianos, for setting up this debate. It's a shame that you didn't have a better audio device. You are a fantastic pianist, and I'm a bit miffed that you didn't get to share your talent to its full extent. Let's do another one of these in the future! :)
Opsianos

Con

As the rules state, this signals the end of the music challenge. Again, thank you all so much for listening, and thank you Beginner for taking up the challenge (seriously, major applause to you). Remember, voting is simple; you only need to pick whoever's music you enjoyed the most. You don't even have to pick, but voting and comments will be greatly appreciated as support to music in general within the DDO community.

That is all!
Beginner

Pro

What Ops said. Goodbye everyone! ^^
Posted by TUF 12 months ago
TUF
I definitely will. You did great
Posted by Beginner 12 months ago
Beginner
Oh also TUF, you should check out the piece I played in the second round played all the way to the end (i only play 30% of it) by an actual professional pianist. Here's the one by Evgeny Kissin, which is my personal favorite rendition. Have a listen:
https://www.youtube.com...
Posted by Beginner 12 months ago
Beginner
IMO, Opsi's swordland would've been a lot better if the quality of audio didn't go all haywire and statikky when he hit multiple notes at higher decibels of volume. I would've put it at number 1 (because SAO and animenz are awesome!) That's just my opinion though.

Thanks for the unofficial judging, TUF. ^^
Posted by TUF 12 months ago
TUF
https://docs.google.com...

Here is my RFD. I appologize. I spent too long on the RFD and now missed my chance. I should have voted then just edited the doc, knowing it was running out of time. Oh well. Sorry guys.
Posted by TUF 12 months ago
TUF
I was just barely late.
Posted by TUF 12 months ago
TUF
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooo
Posted by Vaarka 12 months ago
Vaarka
Aw, no one voted
Posted by Beginner 12 months ago
Beginner
Yeah. In other news, I learned to play the last 2 minutes (the last 6 pages) of the moonlight sonata between last night and this afternoon. Yay me. :D
Posted by Opsianos 12 months ago
Opsianos
No votes, shame.
Posted by Beginner 1 year ago
Beginner
Mmmm.