xXCryptoXx
TN05

Music Competition Debate

TN05
Started: 6/7/2014 Category: Music

xXCryptoXx

Pro

This debate should be impossible to accept.

If anyone finds a way to accept this debate without my permission they will therefore forfeit the debate and all 7 points will go to me.

This debate is.... DADADA! A Musical competition!

Here are the rules:

1. First round is for acceptance.

2. Each round we will post a video of us playing a song.

3. The song can either be an actual song, or be one you created.

4. Playing an instrument in the video is required; singing in addition to playing is optional. Any instrument may be used, and any song may be played.

5. All videos will be uploaded to Youtube

Voting Rules

These rules will set the standards for all voting. Any votes that do not adhere to these standards will be removed.

1. Source points will go to whoever sounded better. Do not take the music itself into question, rather how well they played the song. For example, if you hate heavy metal and someone plays heavy metal, do not take away arguments points from them just because the type of music they played is music you don't like. Judge them off how well they performed the song

2. Arguments points go to song difficulty. Whoever all-together played more difficult songs will win this point. Singing should be taken into context when awarding this point.

3. No other points will be rewarded for any reason. Any vote that adds points outside of the listed voting points will be removed. If there are any questions or concerns about these rules please post them in the comments section.

Post in the comments section if you would like to accept this debate.

Let's do this thang!

TN05

Con

xXCryptoXx

Pro

https://www.youtube.com...

-

This is my cover of On the Bus Mall by the Decemberists

Ignore the awkward faces I make while I play.
TN05

Con

https://www.youtube.com...

This is a bass cover of Red Barchetta by Rush.
xXCryptoXx

Pro

Awesome playing and song choice Tn05!

I'm a bit of a Rush fan myself so that was pretty awesome.

-

https://www.youtube.com...

This is a cover of Keep Your Head Up by Ben Howard.
TN05

Con

Thanks! My and my bass intructor work on a a ton of Rush songs, Red Barchetta is just the most recent one I've learned. Good job on your songs as well, although I can't say I'm familiar with either of them. :P

https://www.youtube.com...

My next cover is of "Clocks" by Coldplay.
xXCryptoXx

Pro

xXCryptoXx forfeited this round.
TN05

Con

I'm a bit disappointed, but I'll close this off with a final bass cover. This is "Livin' on a Prayer" by Bon Jovi.

https://www.youtube.com...;
Posted by TN05 2 years ago
TN05
Thanks! I really lucked out finding it. I went to go get a new bass and that was the first and only one I tried.
Posted by NiamC 2 years ago
NiamC
TN05,
Nice bass guitar!
Posted by Blade-of-Truth 2 years ago
Blade-of-Truth
R2
Difficulty - Goes to Con. Red Barchetta called for more variety and range in terms of hand movement and sound. On the Bus Mall seemed like a basic rhythm and not one that had the same amount of range or variety in terms of chord usage.
Sound - Con. Unfortunately, the guitar really drowned out the Pro's voice. Although basing this vote off of voice quality is unfair, it should be noted that with Con, I felt like the sounds mixed perfectly. The bass didn't drown out the voice nor the other instruments in the cover.

R3
Difficulty - Pro. What cost pro the win in the last round, is precisely what cost Con the win in this one. It was the range and natural complexity that comes with piano that earned Pro this one. Con had a good cover as well, but the lack of range is what cost him this one.
Sound - Pro. Unlike last round, the sounds merged wonderfully in his cover of 'Keep Your Head Up'. There was no battle for dominance going on between the voice and instrument. In regard to Con, it was a little difficult to hear the bass over the cover. It just wasn't as clear as the first round.

R4
Difficulty - Con. Unfortunately, Pro forfeited, so there is nothing to compare this too. Regardless, his cover of "Livin' on a Prayer" by Bon Jovi took him all over the place! His hand movements were impressive, clearly the song calls for a wide range of chord usage and it was a win well earned.
Sound - Clear! The bass mixed perfectly in terms of loudness compared to the cover. The presentation was great and I really enjoyed the little continuation at the end haha.

Overall, it is evident, for me, that R2 is Con's, R3 is Pro's and R4 is Con's with the condition that there was no submission by Pro in R4.

Honestly, I would really enjoy seeing a rematch someday in the future!! Both of you did a great job :)
Posted by TN05 2 years ago
TN05
@MyDiinsaurHands - I would suggest not voting, in that case. No offense at all but the rules are meant to reward skillful playing more than whether a voter likes the song.
Posted by MyDinosaurHands 2 years ago
MyDinosaurHands
Many of the rules ask that I judge based on skill and not necessarily how much I liked it. I'm not really that musically knowledgeable, should I be voting on this debate?
Posted by bladerunner060 2 years ago
bladerunner060
Despite Pro's failures to follow his own rules, I will abide by his request that I not score conduct. However, as per those rules, judges are to take into account who "altogether" played the hardest songs. By having forfeited a round, Pro was behind the 8-ball in terms of total difficulty.

On the Bus Mall by the Decembrists vs. the Bass cover of Red Barchetta by Rush. While On the Bus Mall is an excellent song, I think it's pretty clear that Red Barchetta is more difficult to play.

Ben Howard's Keep Your Head Up vs. Clocks by Coldplay. It is impressive that Pro switches instruments completely here, and I think that gives him the slight edge on the difficulty aspect.

The final round had only a submission by Con. Bon Jovi's Living on a Prayer, vs. No submission from Pro. That gives Con a clear win, here.

Between the 3 rounds, there's the solid win for Con in R1 and R3. R2 was a narrow victory for Pro (though, again, props for the multiple instruments!).

As such, I'm awarding arguments to Con.

Source points go to Pro, narrowly, largely for his playing of 2 instruments. That takes talent. Both contenders played very well though!
Posted by TN05 2 years ago
TN05
I understand that problem 100%, don't worry. YouTube can be a bit irritable sometimes.
Posted by xXCryptoXx 2 years ago
xXCryptoXx
Sorry, Youtube wouldn't upload my video and I tried multiple times and time just got away from me.
Posted by xXCryptoXx 2 years ago
xXCryptoXx
Well I mean it obviously has to be played well. I saying playing a hard song with a few mostakes warrants more points than playing Jingle Bells flawlessly.
Posted by TN05 2 years ago
TN05
I guess that's what he's saying... I'll wait to see what he plays but I have some really tough songs under my sleeve.
Vote Placed by Mikal 2 years ago
Mikal
xXCryptoXxTN05Tied
Reasons for voting decision: I can't give points to pro due to the FF it would not be fair. I feel he could have won this due to the variety of stuff he played and with the vocals. He had so hard songs, and used multiplied instruments. Con had much more skill in general with just one instrument. His playing was perfect with the base especially in livin on a prayer and he played some very difficult songs. I think the edge would have went to pro due to musical variety but it could have flipped con just because of the skill level he had on a base. I can't award a winner due to the FF , id feel like a dik, so conduct to con. Nm im having to remove conduct due to pros rule
Vote Placed by iamanatheistandthisiswhy 2 years ago
iamanatheistandthisiswhy
xXCryptoXxTN05Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Difficult to vote for a winner, as I am not a bass player. As such I cant comment on Con's performance. However, I will give conduct points to Con as Pro forfeited. Onto Pro, I loved the piano piece. It was great and I think you conveyed the emotion of the song. Regarding the guitar song, I think you missed a few changes and could have added a few different chords to give it the edge it deserved. But nonetheless great work to both of you. BTW I know you don't want me to vote outside of argument points, but I just don't think its fair for me to choose a winner when the context was not complete and I have bias as I cant judge bass playing sufficiently.
Vote Placed by Blade-of-Truth 2 years ago
Blade-of-Truth
xXCryptoXxTN05Tied
Reasons for voting decision: RFD in Comments.
Vote Placed by bladerunner060 2 years ago
bladerunner060
xXCryptoXxTN05Tied
Reasons for voting decision: RFD in comments.