Wallstreetatheist
OneElephant

Music Competition of Awesomeness

Wallstreetatheist
Started: 7/30/2012 Category: Arts

Wallstreetatheist

Pro

Music Competition of Awesomeness

Format
1: Acceptance, Clarifications
2-4: Instrument Shredding Badassery

Rules
1. Each of your rounds must be a different genre (e.g. Rock, Classical, Bluegrass). Our rounds function independently in this regard. Please state each round's genre in the argument space.
2. All music must come from your instrument. No pre-recorded tracks.
3. You can use effects pedals, but try to make the music come from the instrument, so it doesn't end up sounding like Megatron and a dragon having vigorous sex.
4. Post your round as one YouTube video that is under 5-minutes in length. In the video, state your DDO name, so we know it's you.
5. Name the song(s) you play in the round. You may use the character space to talk about the song(s), but no points will be derived from your descriptions.

Judges
Please, only vote if you are a musician or musically inclined. Judges should vote on three criteria on a score between 1-10, so the maximum score for each competitor's round is 30 and for the entire debate, 90. Only vote using the "Convincing Arguments" voting button (3 points).

Musicianship (Mood, Dynamics, Style, Control)
Presentation (Memorized, Comforatable, Captivating)
Selection (Difficulty, Quality)

Good luck, and kittens!
OneElephant

Con

I accept and wish my opponent best of luck.
Wallstreetatheist

Pro

Clarifications:

If you are a multi-instrumentalist, use each round's genre to your advantage. Jazz - Saxophone; Hawaiian - Ukulele; Bulgarian Wedding Music - Kaval.

My Music Selections

Hungarian Dance No. 5 - Johannes Brahms
This piece is a fast, challenging classical song that is difficult to get down on the guitar, especially when it's 86 degrees in your room and you're sweating like an obese walrus during mating season.

Romance of the Roses - Simon Salz
This emotional Spanish, Classical guitar song features the use of volatile dynamics and soft whispers. I enjoy serenading and marinading women with this song.

Enjoy! Good luck, OneElephant!

;
OneElephant

Con

ROUND 1: CONTEMPORARY POP

My Music Selections

Friday - Rebecca Black
My very own arrangement of the classic. Abridged due to video length constraints.

The A Team – Ed Sheeran
A song about a prostitute who overdoses on drugs. Also abridged due to time constraints, and loosely inspired by OrtoPilot’s brilliant cover of it.

Link provided in comments. Will also be posted by WSA during his round. Thanks in advance!

Wallstreetatheist

Pro

Round 2 -- Motown

Stevie Wonder - Sir Duke

Steve Halvonik, staff writer of The Daily Collegian, called the piece "pompous", describing it as "the big brassy salute to Duke Ellington" and "the most engaging song on the album." He praised its "up-beat tempo, punchy horn lines and syncopated rhythm" and pronounced it the "brightest album" of the year.

OneElephant's Youtube video is below mine!

;

;
OneElephant

Con

ROUND 2: TECHNICAL PIECES

My Music Selections

Invention No.13 in A Minor - Bach
Probably one of Bach's most renowned inventions, this piece features two distinct voices in the left and right hand. I think I sped up a bit near the end, though.

Etude – Kabalevsky
Technically challenging piece that features flying arpeggios all over the piano.

I think I'm getting slightly better with this video editing stuff. I actually finished early this time, and got the chance to fix the rotation, stretching, and quality issues. I added a bit of reverb with Audacity too, but I don't think it's really noticable.
Wallstreetatheist

Pro

Rap Round

Estelle feat. Kanye West - American Boy

I love this song due to it's tonal complexity and original chord progression. It changes keys three times in the chord progression E, C, F. It's difficult to solo over, but it's definitely a fun song to play. I hope you enjoy!

"The English have been pretty complicit in some of our most addictive entertainment (Iraq War, American Idol, Amy Winehouse). Estelle, a John Legend protégé, returns the favor with “American Boy,” her naive two-fold nod to the geography and ego-happy males from the Land Of Opportunity. Her mellifluousvoice–meticulously feminine, by the way–entitles her to a beachy song, one with bashful disco rhythms and a chaos-free three minutes. She thrives on economy, possibly even deleting the unnecessary Kanye West from the song altogether. Pretty rad, to say the least." –Rodney Dugue

OneElephant

Con

https://www.youtube.com...

ROUND 2: TECHNICAL PIECES

My Music Selections

The Little Shepard - Debussy
Part of a six movement suite called the "Children's Corner", which Debussy reputedly wrote for his daughter, Emma-Claude. The lullaby is characteristic of Debussy's post-romantic style, featuring interesting rhythms and lot's of accidentals.

This debate was fun to do. I hope I'll see another on sometime in the future.
Posted by xXCryptoXx 2 years ago
xXCryptoXx
Such a beautiful guitar <3<3<3
Posted by haert09 4 years ago
haert09
Hello My Dear,
I am well pleased to contact you after viewing your profile today through my mail contact mail address is
hamisikipkalye(at)yahoo(dot)com) give me your mail for easy contact send it directly to my mail box now and i will add you ok
God bless you.
Yours friend.
hamisi
Posted by MouthWash 4 years ago
MouthWash
I need an Obama mask. o.O
Posted by Wallstreetatheist 4 years ago
Wallstreetatheist
It actually is.. haha
I was the 1% for Halloween and my girlfriend was the 99%. I alternated between Obama and a rich investment banker who had to refurbish his yacht fleet for displaying the most morally repugnant people 1%.
Posted by Apollo.11 4 years ago
Apollo.11
I thought it was an Obama mask for a second...
Posted by Wallstreetatheist 4 years ago
Wallstreetatheist
Trick or Treat mo-fo
Posted by Wallstreetatheist 4 years ago
Wallstreetatheist
I had to look like Stevie Wonder for the Stevie Wonder song!
Posted by Apollo.11 4 years ago
Apollo.11
lol. The mask freaked me out for a sec...
Posted by Wallstreetatheist 4 years ago
Wallstreetatheist
Posted by Wallstreetatheist 4 years ago
Wallstreetatheist
The link can't be https.
Vote Placed by 1dustpelt 4 years ago
1dustpelt
WallstreetatheistOneElephantTied
Reasons for voting decision: Both did very good, but Pro won. Con won the Bach Invention and Pro won everything else. I agree with the other voter that Con wasn't as expressive, that was one of the reason he lost. I don't want to go into detail, if you want all the details PM me.
Vote Placed by FourTrouble 4 years ago
FourTrouble
WallstreetatheistOneElephantTied
Reasons for voting decision: Wallstreetatheist pretty much wins this in every voting category - if you have any questions, please feel free to ask me. I don't really feel like going into detail at the moment, but I'll just say that 1E was a lot weaker technically, and his playing wasn't really that expressive either.