larztheloser
CrazyPerson

Music Composition Battle

larztheloser

larztheloser

Pro

This debate is similar to the many "who can draw the best picture" or "who can take the best photo" debates on this site. The key difference is that instead of a picture, you have to compose and record an original piece of music. Voters judge based on who wrote the "best" music overall, in the same way you'd judge a better picture.

Music can be of any style - rap, pop, classical etc is all allowed. The music should be original, and no music written prior to this competition should be used. Vocals are allowed but not required. Sampling is allowed, so long as the composition remains original.

The maximum length for each song is around three minutes. I won't stress about a few seconds, but try to avoid composing a 20-minute overture.

Before each round, both debaters must post a theme for the other debater to compose a piece of music about. For example, if the theme is "danger", the lyrics or the music should be evocative of danger in some way. Try to keep the theme generic enough to allow for multiple musical interpretations. The theme need not be abstract like danger ie "mountain" is an ok theme.

In the actual debate round, you must post a link to a place where people can either listen to or download your music (in MP3 format if possible - I usually use Supload for this purpose but there's lots of places available). You can add 2000 characters of commentary if you wish.

This first round is a rule-stating and opening-theme stating round. Con must NOT post a composition, but rather just give a theme for me to write a piece of music. There are three rounds, so there will be four compositions in total of three minutes each for voters to listen to - meaning voting can be done in just 12 minutes! If there are any questions about the structure, please post them in the comments before accepting.

Since I failed my music exams in high school, I expect even the most amateur musicians will be able to beat me, but I'll try my best anyway. Good luck to anybody who takes me on
CrazyPerson

Con

The topic is Fear.
larztheloser

Pro

Alright, here's my composition. A low-quality version (highly compressed) can be heard by listening to that YouTube video. For a higher-quality version, go to this link: http://kiwi6.com... (supload was playing up unfortunately). The song is 2:46, including about 4 seconds of intentional silence.

I hope you all like it. I spent a marathon four and a half hours writing and arranging it. My speakers aren't really good, so I hope the quality's OK. Principal influences on the song were Hans Zimmer, Gustav Holst and Don Davis. I was trying to write something that makes your heart stop - I don't think I'm dead yet so it didn't work, but I think some sections of this song come pretty close for me.

My opponent's theme for this round will be "presidential election".
CrazyPerson

Con

I hope the video works here -

An original - 'Presidential Election'
larztheloser

Pro

And I'm done! Again, you can either listen to the Youtube video or download/listen to the MP3 at http://kiwi6.com.... My opponent indicated in the comments that my theme was "the war in Iraq".

I tried to be fairly broad in scope with this piece, covering lots of different aspects of warfare. I also tried to incorporate musical elements from every culture that ever conquered Iraq, to my knowledge. Mostly it's just brass with a somewhat crazy middle-eastern melody inspired by the Iraqi/Palestinian national anthem, but sounding NOTHING like it. Enjoy! The song is 3:01 in length, I was going to cut it at 3:00 but it sounded odd for some reason.

My opponent's final theme will be "teddy bear".
CrazyPerson

Con

CrazyPerson forfeited this round.
Posted by TUF 3 years ago
TUF
Great music, I liked fear
Posted by CrazyPerson 5 years ago
CrazyPerson
I'm sorry man i basically puss eyed out, 'teddy bear' was too much! therefore on the grounds of intelligent strategy leading to forfeit, you have won.
Posted by larztheloser 5 years ago
larztheloser
Anyone who wants to challenge me to another music composition competition is most welcome - I had fun even despite the forfeit.
Posted by phantom 5 years ago
phantom
Pro does a great job catching the theme in his composition, and I like that type of music, but con is very clever with his lyrics. Not sure who's winning.
Posted by CrazyPerson 5 years ago
CrazyPerson
Oops sorry - It is "The War in Iraq"
Posted by larztheloser 5 years ago
larztheloser
What's my theme for the next round?
Posted by larztheloser 5 years ago
larztheloser
Hey CrazyPerson, just a reminder (since you're new - just in case) that you've got less than a day left to get your composition up. I definitely wouldn't want you missing the deadline in this debate, since it's a bit of an experiment in whether this music-composition-battle format actually works. Looking forward to hearing what you've been working on!
Posted by CrazyPerson 5 years ago
CrazyPerson
Sorry i'm new to this site but -it's pretty cool.
Posted by larztheloser 5 years ago
larztheloser
The good news is you've got three (:
Posted by CrazyPerson 5 years ago
CrazyPerson
Ok, i might need a day
Vote Placed by Wallstreetatheist 5 years ago
Wallstreetatheist
larztheloserCrazyPersonTied
Reasons for voting decision: FF and larz put much more effort into his compositions than that CRAZY PERSON!!
Vote Placed by phantom 5 years ago
phantom
larztheloserCrazyPersonTied
Reasons for voting decision: Just based off of the style of pros compositions, he was more creative. I also enjoyed his music more and he did very well in captureing the theme. That being said, con did a great job with the lyrics of his one song, but points go to pro.