tarkovsky
mee2kool4u369

Music Debate

mee2kool4u369
Started: 3/24/2012 Category: Arts

tarkovsky

Pro

Hello to everyone, and welcome to this debate. I was inspired by a similar debate going on so I thought I'd jump on the bandwagon and try it out for myself.

One song per round, ANY kind of music is acceptable. Whoever posts the best music wins.

All songs must be listened to, start to finish, by each voter, before they vote.

Look forward to some good music.

I'll start off with the recently popularized aria from Saint-Saens "Samson and Delilah". Here, exquisitely sung by Christa Ludwig, one of the the giants of the opera world, with a sturdy and powerful spinto coloratura, Ludwig shows us a deeply personal and altogether unforgettable interpretation of this famous aria.

mee2kool4u369

Con

Whitney Houston had it all. She was the queen.
tarkovsky

Pro

For my next song, I present the "Quando Corpus" from Pergolesi's "Stabat Mater"

In today's world of commercial repeats and ingratiating sell outs, nothing cuts through the spiritual void like the supernal, spiritually fecund music of Pergolesi. The lachrymose despondence combines with a melodic beauty of such spiritual force that it strikes the listener as cogent evidence of God himself. Enjoy.

mee2kool4u369

Con

This next song was huge and still is. It is the king of pop.

;
tarkovsky

Pro

I must admit, I open up our third round with unconscionable excitement as I extend one of my all time favorites pieces: "Mira O Norma" from Bellini's "Norma".

For me, Bellini is the veritable apex of music. The incontrovertible beauty of Bellini's music is, at once, enough to convince even those with the most passionate vehemence for opera. The childlike simplicity of his melodies summons even the most remote of emotions from the listeners past. Folks, it doesn't get better than Bellini.

mee2kool4u369

Con

Well if you are doing the whole opera take, then this little girl will defiantly shine.

tarkovsky

Pro

As much as I've enjoyed this debate and its eclectic mix of music, alas, it must end.

I leave this debate with the most tender, kind, honest song I know: Chopin's "Prelude No. 13 Op.28" as interpreted by Ivo Pogorelich. Enjoy and I hope everyone has had as much fun in this debate as I have.

Note: I couldn't find Pogorelich's interpertation on Youtube so I had to upload it myself.

=

mee2kool4u369

Con

I must end this debate with a bam. In order to do so I have selected the dub-step genre. Deadmau5 shall do this quite well.

This was a great debate. Thank you for debating with me.

;
Posted by tarkovsky 4 years ago
tarkovsky
I had fun mee2kool, great music! Have to say though, argh that Evancho! She's not an opera singer, she's a classical-crossover artist. She needs to be careful too as she has a bad case of the shaky-jaw that could be the premature end of her career as we know it.
Posted by tarkovsky 4 years ago
tarkovsky
I apologize for the video in the second round. It includes the Amen and that would be a second song (if going by the same standards used to credit the Quando Corpus as one song). I ask that voters ignore this section and only consider the accepted portions. Similarly, I'd ask voters keep in mind the sensitivity such music has and that it was, more or less, out of my control. I only wish to present the best interpretation the piece, and it so happened, by my judgement, it came with a little extra.
Vote Placed by TUF 4 years ago
TUF
tarkovskymee2kool4u369Tied
Reasons for voting decision: This debate is hard to judge. I can tell that tarkovsky definitely had a more classy taste in music. However, in order to get votes, you must appeal to those with that kind of taste. Was easier for me to appeal to the taste of Con's more modern aspect of music, (not saying pro's isn't modern, just taste wise.) Given that I could relate better, without getting extremely bored to american idol girls, and michael jackson, I am inclined to give this to con,with points to recognition of effort to pro
Vote Placed by 16kadams 4 years ago
16kadams
tarkovskymee2kool4u369Tied
Reasons for voting decision: con had better vids