Mattliff
DylanA

Music and art should not be cut from education

Mattliff

Pro

More and more schools continue to cut funding to the art and music departments. However, sports and athletics suffer very minimally. Why is this? Neurologically, both are beneficial and are important to have as opportunities to students. Although statistically more students are involved in athletics than not, all should be given the opportunity to be involved with what they want.

Please understand that this is my first debate so this may seem a bit amateur.
DylanA

Con

Yes, the arts (of all forms) are beneficial to young people, however, I feel it's not the school's job to provide them. School is simply a place to learn the academics, that's what the tax payers pay for. This won't be the end of art for young ones, but it shouldn't be taught in public schools. If you drive around an average town chances are, you'll see many places where arts are taught, such as a music lessons place, a theater studio, etc. Not to mention in the time of the Internet there are a lot more ways to learn about various types of art and gain just as much knowledge as you would in a class.

Not to mention, art is one of those things that should not be taught in a classroom setting. The marking is too bias, for such as subjective discipline. It would often lead to teachers imposing their bias and trying to say there is one way to do thing, for a one size fits all teachers like to do. This doesn't help the actual student, unless they happen to do things the same way as the teacher, naturally.

This is my first debate too so we'll see how it goes.
Mattliff

Pro

Mattliff forfeited this round.
Mattliff

Pro

Mattliff forfeited this round.
DylanA

Con

Good debate...
Posted by Mattliff 3 years ago
Mattliff
I want to apologize for my absence. I was looking forward to this debate and missed it completely >_< if DylanA (or anyone) would like to have this debate where I will actually participate, message me. Again, I apoligize.
Posted by MrVan 3 years ago
MrVan
I think it's a great debate topic! ^.^ I'd accept the debate myself if I didn't agree with you and could think of any genuinely good contentions.