theawesomedebate44
Craighawley215

Music can effect people

Craighawley215
Started: 10/30/2014 Category: Music

theawesomedebate44

Pro

I think that Music can effect people because, if your listening to an inappropriate song, the people listening will hear the person singing, and they'll think that the person really likes what they are singing about, and soon that listener could start doing those inappropriate things too.
Craighawley215

Con

I accept the debate, and wish my opponent luck.

For the record, I will not be arguing that music has zero effect on an individual. I will instead be arguing that music may affect an individuals mood/feeling/mental state, but that music is not responsible for a person's actions. For example, music may influence a person's happiness or anger, but will not influence a person to kill or to instantly change behaviors.

In the interest of fairness, I will allow Pro to post their full argument and sources, before posting any substantial arguments opposing them.
theawesomedebate44

Pro

First of all, music can effect peoples moods, and then it just might eventually change their mind that much
Craighawley215

Con

"I think that Music can effect people because, if your listening to an inappropriate song, the people listening will hear the person singing, and they'll think that the person really likes what they are singing about, and soon that listener could start doing those inappropriate things too."

By this logic, any music about murder would encourage listeners to murder, any music about drugs directly results in drug use, and a song about rape causes people to rape. This theory is simply not true, and there is no evidence to support it. Because this is your original stance, this is where your burden of proof rests, and in order to successfully win this debate, you must prove this stance.

"First of all, music can effect peoples moods, and then it just might eventually change their mind that much"

I will agree that music can affect people's moods. These three articles support that theory:

http://www.healthline.com...

http://bestbinauralbeats.org...

http://blog.bufferapp.com...

These three articles support the affects of music on an individual. However, suggesting that "it just might eventually change their mind that much" is too broad of a statement to warrant any serious argument. Over a sustained period of time, overexposure to anything may drive people to commit heinous acts, however, music only affects us as much as any other aspect of our setting. If music just might influence my behavior negatively, it also could potentially affect us in positive ways as well.

In the final round, the burden falls for you to prove that music directly affects behaviors, not only moods.
theawesomedebate44

Pro

theawesomedebate44 forfeited this round.
Craighawley215

Con

Pro submitted a vague topic, and never formulated a complete, strong argument in this debate.

Please vote Con
Posted by Sar92 2 years ago
Sar92

Your argument is extremely weak, I would not consider this a debate at all you have failed to actually have a rational discussion as to why you made such a claim in the first place. First define "inappropriate song," that's a pretty vague remark to make. Second, by making such a remark you are stating that human beings are actually stupid enough to let a song's lyrics affect their behavior negatively. Can music affect us? Yes, of course but not enough to make us behave "inappropriately," there are different environmental factors that determine that, such as the crowd you hang around, where you were raised, economic background,etc but even those factors are questionable because it is human nature to fight against those odds so instead of lashing out at people those factors can actually make you a better person. I believe music only has the power to affect your mood, for me it gives me a high I cannot explain. I notice when I listen to music it actually makes me happier and just provides me with a satisfaction I cannot even begin to explain to you.
Vote Placed by Zarroette 2 years ago
Zarroette
theawesomedebate44Craighawley215Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con rebutted Pro's argument and provided his own with sources, so arguments and sources to Con. Conduct to Con for Pro's round forfeits.
Vote Placed by Tweka 2 years ago
Tweka
theawesomedebate44Craighawley215Tied
Reasons for voting decision: FF and points are not rebutted
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
theawesomedebate44Craighawley215Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture and Con used effective sources.