BillyDrumMajor
tmar19652

Music credits should be mandatory for every high school student

BillyDrumMajor

BillyDrumMajor

Pro

Music should be mandatory in high schools. All students should be required to take 2 years (or somewhere around that number) of music classes. When learning about music, cognition is improved. Foreign language skills are also exercised, as well as math. The benefits are endless and the downfalls are few. This is the first debate I've started myself and I'm intrigued to see what others think on the subject.
tmar19652

Con

2 Years worth of Music classes is a crazy burden to place on any student. That is over 17500 hours of music classes, which would not only waste an insane amount of time and money, but college students would spend more time on music than their own area of expertise/major.
BillyDrumMajor

Pro

I believe you may have read incorrectly. I stated HIGH SCHOOL students should be required to accomplish 2 years of music.
tmar19652

Con

I'm sorry. Either way, High school Students should not have to spend 17500 hours or 50% of their time on music when other subjects, such as math and science are much more important.
BillyDrumMajor

Pro

At my high school, we do 8 credits per year. That means 1/16 of your high school career will be spent studying music, which utilizes most other core subjects that will be studied in high school and will therefore prove useful in other areas of study.
tmar19652

Con

While what you say is true, replacing 1/16 of someones high school career with 2 WHOLE YEARS of music education will only lengthen the high school process, waste enormous amounts of money/time and delay entry to the workforce. 17500 hours of musical education in high school is a laughable concept, and an impossible position to defend.
Posted by Skeptikitten 3 years ago
Skeptikitten
Neither side made an actual debate here. They just stated their opinions. Poorly.
Posted by BillyDrumMajor 3 years ago
BillyDrumMajor
If anyone would care to look at accurate numbers, please look at voxprojectus' reason for voting.
Posted by BillyDrumMajor 3 years ago
BillyDrumMajor
I'm sorry con. I did not realize you were incapable of logical inferences. In the future I'll be sure to explain myself more thoroughly.
Posted by tmar19652 3 years ago
tmar19652
Excuse me, but pro never defined years as school years, so i feel that i was justified in my interpretation of years to hours.
Posted by BillyDrumMajor 3 years ago
BillyDrumMajor
My purpose isn't to improve the quality of work in students who are already successful such as yourself, but to raise the bar in a blanket statement to improve the quality of work in students who have not succeeded in the past.
Posted by Coinsruledude 3 years ago
Coinsruledude
Two years of required classes is too much, especially with the amount of classes high school students need to pass in order to graduate. If a student WANTS to take music classes, fine. Make it an elective for THEM, not mandatory for EVERYONE. Some kids just aren't interested in learning it, like I wasn't.

I haven't taken a legitimate music class in over four years, and I'm glad I haven't been forced to. I'm doing fine in school, by the way, so it hasn't affected me in any adverse ways.
Vote Placed by DebaterAgent 3 years ago
DebaterAgent
BillyDrumMajortmar19652Tied
Reasons for voting decision: um... not what I was looking for
Vote Placed by autodidact 3 years ago
autodidact
BillyDrumMajortmar19652Tied
Reasons for voting decision: while music was a big part of my schooling and i was voted most likely to be a singer in the yearbook, i cant help but wonder what about kids who cant hear? pros argument was nonexistent and con had bad conduct.
Vote Placed by MassiveDump 3 years ago
MassiveDump
BillyDrumMajortmar19652Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Countering an obvious bias from voxprojectus.
Vote Placed by voxprojectus 3 years ago
voxprojectus
BillyDrumMajortmar19652Tied
Reasons for voting decision: I found myself frustrated that CON focused so much on the amount of time involved. By my math, there are 180 days in a school year in my state. Two years of music would mean, at most, less than 400 hours for both school years. Only by mendacious misrepresentation of what PRO meant by "year" which should have been obvious, could you arrive at your strange conclusion. 17500 would be every day including weekends ALL day. Come on now. Be reasonable.