1dustpelt
KeytarHero

Music debate

1dustpelt
Started: 3/13/2012 Category: Arts

1dustpelt

Pro

I thought this may be fun. Whoever has the best music wins. You may only put one piece each round.

I'll start. Voters, you have to listen through the whole thing before voting!

KeytarHero

Con

I would like to thank Pro for instituting this interesting debate.

I decided to go with a piece by Claude Debussy, a French composer. This piece was composed in 1910 during the impressionistic period, which was a period of approximately 20 years at the beginning of the 20th century. Like the impressionistic period in painting, music composed during this impressionistic period was representative of stories, or ideas, just generally giving you a picture to associate the music with.

I was either going to go with this or Reverie, my two favorite pieces by Debussy. In the end I decided on La cathedrale engloutie (The Sunken Cathedral). This piece of music was inspired by the Breton legend of Ys, a myth in which a cathedral, submerged underwater off the coast of the Island of Ys, rises up from the sea on clear mornings when the water is transparent. Sounds can be heard of priests chanting, bells chiming, and the organ playing, from across the sea. [1]

If you listen closely you can hear the legend being told in the music Debussy has composed. From the gentle beginning, the cathedral rises from the water, slowly emerging from the fog. In the majestic, profound middle section, we have an idea of the grandeur of this cathedral. And finally the music calms as the cathedral is once again submerged, the "organ" behind heard as if from underwater and the bells finally being the last thing heard as the music fades away.

Please enjoy.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org...

;
1dustpelt

Pro

I thank my opponent for accepting. The next piece will be Bach's Concerto for Two Violins in D minor 1/3. The Concerto for 2 Violins, Strings and Continuo in D Minor, BWV 1043, also known as the Double Violin Concerto or "Bach Double", is perhaps one of the most famous works by J. S. Bach and considered among the best examples of the work of the late Baroque period. Bach wrote it between 1730 and 1731 when he was the cantor at Thomasschule, in Leipzig, Germany.[1] Later in 1739, in Leipzig, he created an arrangement for two harpsichords, transposed into C minor, BWV 1062.[1] In addition to the two soloists, the concerto is scored for strings and basso continuo. Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org...(Bach)

;
KeytarHero

Con

For my next piece, I decided to go with German composer Johannes Brahms.

One simply can't think of the Romantic period of classical music without thinking of Brahms. As a clarinetist myself, I have performed this piece in its entirety (all four movements). The piece in question is Brahms' Clarinet Concerto No. 1 in F Minor, Movement 4, composed in 1894.

Brahms composed this sonata, as well as three other works for clarinet (a Clarinet Trio, the Clarinet Sonata No. 2 in E-Flat Major, and a Clarinet Quintet) near the end of his life. He had retired, but after hearing the wonderful playing of clarinetist Richard Mulhfield, was inspired to come out of retirement and compose these four chamber works for clarinet in rapid succession. [1]

It was Mozart who first realized the potential of the clarinet, so when Brahms composed his wonderful works for the clarinet, there wasn't much soloistic music being written for it. We clarinetists owe Mozart and Brahms a debt of gratitude for writing such wonderful music and showing how diverse and wonderful the clarinet actually is.

Romantic music was known for its use of emotion to great effect, to evoke feeling for those listening. This version on YouTube has the music in case you'd like to follow along (provided you can read music). But notice how the performers do not stick strictly to the 4/4 time, sometimes speeding or slowing then returning to the tempo of the piece. This is known as rubato, and is a method employed to add emotion to the piece so that it doesn't become stale.

Again, please enjoy.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org...(Brahms)

1dustpelt

Pro

Fugue in G minor, BWV 578, "Little", is a piece of organ music written by Johann Sebastian Bach sometime around his years at Arnstadt (1703–1707). It is one of Bach's best known fugues and has been arranged for other voices, including an orchestral version made by Leopold Stokowski.[1]

It is a common misconception that the Little fugue in G minor is so-called because it is unimportant. In fact, early editors of Bach's work attached this title to distinguish it from the later Great Fantasia and Fugue in G minor, BWV 542, which is longer in duration.

KeytarHero

Con

For my next piece of music, I've decided on a piece by Franz von Suppe:Ein Morgen, ein Mittag und ein Abend in Wien Overture (Morning, Noon, and Night in Vienna Overture).

Looney Tunes fans may recognize this as the central theme to the Bugs Bunny cartoon, Baton Bunny.

Please enjoy this wonderful piece of music.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org...

1dustpelt

Pro

For the next piece, will use George Fredrick Handel's Sarabande, which has always been one of my favorites.
Sarabande is part of the Keyboard Suite Handel wrote.
The Keyboard suite in D minor (HWV 437) was composed by George Frideric Handel, for solo keyboard (harpsichord), between 1703 and 1706. It is also referred to as Suite de pièce Vol. 2 No. 4. It was first published in 1733.

KeytarHero

Con

For my next piece of music, I will use a piece by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, the Overture to The Marriage of Figaro.

The Marriage of Figaro was a comic opera composed in 1786 by Mozart, based on a stage comedy by Pierre Beaumarchais. Although the play by Beaumarchais was at first banned in Vienna because of its satire of the aristocracy, considered dangerous in the decade before the French Revolution, the opera became one of Mozart's most successful works. The overture is especially famous and is often played as a concert piece. The musical material of the overture is not used later in the work, aside from two brief phrases during the Count's part in the terzetto Cosa sento! in act 1. [1]

Please enjoy.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org...;

;
1dustpelt

Pro

Antonio Vivaldi - Violin concerto in C minor RV761 - I. Allegro

I can't find any information on this one.
May voters vote whoever has the best music!
KeytarHero

Con

For my final piece of music, I've decided to use Adagio in G Minor by Tomaso Albinoni.

Please enjoy.

;
Posted by tarkovsky 4 years ago
tarkovsky
Very tough decision here, Pro had Sarabande, and Con had Adagio in G. It would be very very VERY hard to decide if I could vote.
Posted by KeytarHero 4 years ago
KeytarHero
Yes, well, I guess it's all going to come down to which composer(s) or piece(s) they like the best. lol This is really more of a subjective debate.
Posted by 1dustpelt 4 years ago
1dustpelt
Yeah. The romantic period was good too, but I like Baroque better.
Posted by KeytarHero 4 years ago
KeytarHero
While I enjoy Baroque, my favorite period was the Romantic period. But Baroque music tends to be more fun to play because I enjoy more technical music.
Posted by KeytarHero 4 years ago
KeytarHero
Actually, while Bach was from the Baroque period, all the periods of music (Renaissance, Baroque, Classic, Romantic, Impressionist, 20th Century, Contemporary) are classed under the umbrella of "classical" music. That separates it from other styles like pop, rock, R&B, etc.

I think I'll just match you. Whatever style of music you post, I'll try and post one from that style.
Posted by 1dustpelt 4 years ago
1dustpelt
BTW, Bach's not classical, he's Baroque. I <3 Baroque! :D
Posted by 1dustpelt 4 years ago
1dustpelt
@KeytarHero All styles. What determines the best music, well, if it sounds good. Kind of like the word debates.
Posted by KeytarHero 4 years ago
KeytarHero
Sorry, that was two questions. lol
Posted by KeytarHero 4 years ago
KeytarHero
I'll take this debate. It will be a nice diversion from the debates I normally take.

One quick question before posting in the first round -- are we just looking at classical music, or all styles (I love classical, so if it's just that then I won't mind). Also, what determines what is the "best" music?
Vote Placed by TUF 4 years ago
TUF
1dustpeltKeytarHeroTied
Reasons for voting decision: Both were pleasant to listen to and classy. I choose pro for the win because I simply enjoyed listening to his more, but give Con points for recognized effort.
Vote Placed by THEBOMB 4 years ago
THEBOMB
1dustpeltKeytarHeroTied
Reasons for voting decision: To be completely honest, Con won this with the Debussy. I loved all these pieces, but, Debussy is my favorite. :D
Vote Placed by WriterDave 4 years ago
WriterDave
1dustpeltKeytarHeroTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro had this in the bag with Bach until Con came back with Marriage of Figaro. I'd say Vivaldi won in overtime.