Music education should be put in high schools

Started: 3/19/2013 Category: Arts

First round for acceptance and opening statement.

Second round for points

Third round for rebuttal

I believe music is an important part of education and should not be taken out of our schools (high school and below)

Ok this will be fun!

I believe that high schoolers are old enough to decide if they want to join a sport, music, club, etc. You have gone through music education your entire life, and you should know the basics. Once you are in high school, you focus on college and what you want to do for a job. Many kids decide that they want to be a lawyer, doctor, nurse, etc., and you don't need to learn basic music notes when you are in court or operating on someone. You also learn how to read notes and to play the recorder in elementary school, so it shouldn't be mandatory for a high schooler.

I was mainly refering to schools funding voluntary band membership in schools

1. Incintive to get good grades
Music education is benificial because it gives most students an incintive to obtain and maintain good grades. Many school systems require a 2.5 GPA to participate in music activities. If a student enjoys music this gives students a reason to get good grades.

2. Teaches teamwork and preserverence
Music education teaches teamwork because a band or choir is a giant team that must come togather to create music. It requires collaboration to play well and teaches students to work together. It also teaches perserverence through repitition. It takes patience to play a part over and over again to make it perfect.

3. Teaches a trade
Although music is a very competitive career field, music education in high school teaches a student skills needed to become a musician if they so choose

4. Scholarships to collage
Many collages give scholorship for music ability. Many students pa for collage by playing an instrament they learned in highschool

5. Keeps kids out of trouble
Music programs often have rehersals and concerts during the weekend and after school. If students are at these activities, they are less likely to be getting into trouble.

6. Improved learning
It has been proved that students involved in music have improved learning and grades than student that are not. In an analysis of U.S. Department of Education data on more than 25,000 secondary school students (NELS:88, National Education Longitudinal by Text-Enhance" href="">Survey), researchers found that students who report consistent high levels of involvement in instrumental music over the middle and high school years show “significantly higher levels of mathematics proficiency by grade 12.” This observation holds regardless of students’ socio-economic status, and differences in those who are involved with instrumental music vs. those who are not is more significant over time.;

“A research team exploring the link between music and intelligence reported that music training is far superior to computer instruction in dramatically enhancing children's abstract reasoning skills, the skills necessary for learning math and science. — Shaw, Rauscher, Levine, Wright, Dennis and Newcomb, "Music training causes long-term enhancement of preschool children's spatial-temporal reasoning," Neurological Research, Vol. 19, February 1997

Ok I am sorry I was thinking General Music because that is what music education technically is. I didn't know you were talking about band. Sorry!

Trystanharpold forfeited this round.

I guess we are done! Thanks anyways!
Posted by Trystanharpold 3 years ago
hey, cool yo jets, I do go to school and have a
Posted by swimmergal 3 years ago
Posted by jdog2016 3 years ago
music education IS in my school...