DenShazo15
Stanley-Ipkiss

Music from back in the day has more meaning than modern music

Started: 4/23/2012 Category: Arts

DenShazo15

Pro

Music from the 60's to 80's has had more meaning behind its lyrics than modern day music. Not only is modern music repetitive, it almost never has a moral or story behind it.

First round is to accept my challenge and to post opening arguments, second round is for main arguments, and third round for rebuttals.
Stanley-Ipkiss

Con

Hi. I would first like to say that this is my first debate on this website, so if I fail to follow proper debate formats let me know. Many of the debates I see on this site contain a definite, more clarified argument in the Round 1 post from the "instigator". My opponent has stated "Music from the 60's to 80's has had more meaning behind its lyrics than modern day music", so my argument will be "Music from the 60's to 80's does not have more meaning behind its lyrics than modern day music". I would like to begin my argument with the posting of the definitions of the word "meaning", as derived from dictionary.com
"Meaning"
1. what is intended to be, or actually is, expressed or indicated; signification; import: the three meanings of a word.
2. the end, purpose, or significance of something
3. the non linguistic cultural correlate, reference, or denotation of a linguistic form; expression.
b. linguistic content ( opposed to expression).
adjective
4.intentioned (usually used in combination): She's a well-meaning person.
5. full of significance; expressive: a meaning look.
I will be arguing that artistically expressed "meaning" is oftentimes solely dependent on one's interpretation of the work, or in this case, the lyrics of a song, and as a result, a particular songs level of "meaningfulness" may vary from individual to individual, thus making the measurement of the amount of meaningfulness impossible.
Secondly, my opponent states "Not only is modern music repetitive, it almost never has a moral or story behind it." I would ask my opponent to describe the ways in which "modern music is repetitive". If my opponent is arguing that many modern songs sound similar, I would like to point out that unless they sound similar in a lyrical fashion this argument is irrelevant. I also urge my opponent to elaborate on how he/she perceives "almost never". Furthermore, I would like to provide a definition for the word "story" (dictionary.com).
"Story"
1. a narrative, either true or fictitious, in prose or verse, designed to interest, amuse, or instruct the hearer or reader; tale.
2. a fictitious tale, shorter and less elaborate than a novel.
3. such narratives or tales as a branch of literature: song and story.
4. the plot or succession of incidents of a novel, poem, drama, etc.: The characterizations were good, but the story was weak.
5. a narration of an incident or a series of events or an example of these that is or may be narrated, as an anecdote, joke, etc.
If my opponent will include all definitions of the word story which are nouns, I will argue that the amount of songs that encompass singing or speaking which do not tell a true or false story, narrative, or plot or succession of events, is limited.
I understand that this is Round 1 so I apologize if this is extensively long for an acceptance/opening statement, as I said before, this is my first debate here. Thank you.
DenShazo15

Pro

DenShazo15 forfeited this round.
Stanley-Ipkiss

Con

Stanley-Ipkiss forfeited this round.
DenShazo15

Pro

DenShazo15 forfeited this round.
Stanley-Ipkiss

Con

Stanley-Ipkiss forfeited this round.
Posted by ianspigler 4 years ago
ianspigler
What's you're defintion of meanigful? That's a really vauge term.