Nightlocke
TheRussian

Music is helpful to your concentration.

TheRussian

Nightlocke

Pro

I have always been complained at about how I need to "turn off my music and get to work," but I don't believe that is necessary. I believe that music helps your mind to concentrate on a task being performed. I dare anyone to try and convince me otherwise.
TheRussian

Con

I accept your dare.
I believe that listening to music while working has no benefits and, if anything, decreases your productivity.
A research project done by the University of Phoenix concluded that test scores of test takers that were listening to music while studying were lower than those of the people that studied in silence. The difference is not very significant, BUT it is evident that listening to music while studying does not help concentrate.
Similar experiments were conducted in several universities and none of the results imply that listening to music increases productivity or helps concentrate.
http://www.phoenix.edu...

I await my opponent's response.
Nightlocke

Pro

Thank you, I've been hoping someone would enjoy this. I agree with part of the study as Heavy Metal, Hard Rock, Core music and such can be detrimental to be ability to study as to the fact that it can create increased senses of anger. Pop, Hip Hop, R & B, and such genres don't cause the same effect, though can still be distracting. It depends on the person as the study pointed out, though I would also like to point out that the study admitted to only using vocal music in the studies. I believe that there is a lot to be said for the quality of the test, and I believe that the quality is lacking at time. More studies have to be done for instrumental music, though I haven't seen a study say that instrumental music (Classical, Swing, Jazz, Ect.) is detrimental to the process of studying.

http://www.mindthesciencegap.org...
TheRussian

Con

The source my opponent provided seems to only further prove my point. It says that "Surprisingly, the results actually found no significant difference between test scores with liked music, disliked music, and changing state speech."
The article also says that the students who were in silence also had higher scores.
This only further proves that listening to music while studying does not improve concentration or productivity.
http://www.mindthesciencegap.org...
Nightlocke

Pro

While yes it does say that, let's not try to cut this part out.

"Furthermore, we should also note that these studies only looked at music with vocals, and not music that was purely instrumental. Research from the University of Dayton found that students performed better at spatial and linguistic processing if Mozart was playing in the background. So maybe having instrumental music can help performance, since it doesn"t have any distracting vocals. Again, think about it like you"re trying to work while someone"s talking to you (or just consider that maybe you"ll feel like singing along instead of doing your work!)"

Obviously there is a variable that has not been explored and there renders the data that my opponent is trying to use as inconclusive while only allowing more room for possible growth for my theory. It also concludes that it still matters more on the person than anything else, so that would bring this to a draw if anything as it helps some but may not help others.

Either way, I would like to thank my opponent for a good debate.
TheRussian

Con

At this point, since I have established that most music genres decrease scores, my opponent's only remaining argument is that listening to classical/instrumental music would increase scores. This, too, will be refuted.
The following source said that while listening to instrumental music is better than listening to music with lyrics, studying in silence is still the best option. Students who studied in silence scored 90%, those who listened to instrumental scored 83% and those who listened to music with lyrics scored 72%.
http://takelessons.com...

In conclusion, it is obvious that listening to music while studying is in no way helpful to productivity/concentration and, if anything, is only detrimental.

Thank you for the good debate.
Vote Placed by FuzzyCatPotato 2 years ago
FuzzyCatPotato
NightlockeTheRussianTied
Reasons for voting decision: Sources better, proved point.
Vote Placed by ArcTImes 2 years ago
ArcTImes
NightlockeTheRussianTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro didn't meet his BoP. Furthermore, Con's,sources show that music is not beneficial for,concentration.