TheMatt
Martley

Must Christianity Change?

Martley

TheMatt

Con

The debate title is based off a live tv debate with John Shelby Spong(A former Bishop and NT scholar/Theologian), and Albert Moheler(A Pastor/Theologian). I will be taking the side that Christianity must not change for the 21st century culture, my opponent will be arguing that it must change to fit with today's culture like John Shelby Spong. I would also like to thank my opponent for accepting this debate.

* I was hoping to debate a liberal Christian*
https://www.youtube.com...;

Round 1: Acceptance
Round 2: Opening Argument
Round 3: Rebuttals/Closing Statements(No new Arguments)
Martley

Pro

I accept this debate and thank you for the opportunity. However before we begin I request a clarification to your position.

1. Your Debate title is "Must Christianity change or die", you then say that you are taking a Con position that Christianity must not change. So am I to assume that you will be arguing that Christianity will die? Therefore I , as Pro, will be arguing that Christianity will change and therefore survive?

2. You say "my opponent will be arguing that it must change to fit with today's culture like John Shelby Spong". So am I required to only argue John Shelby Spong"s argument. Or can I argue my own argument?

3. Your link to the You Tube video did not work... Since this is the root of your debate, I would request that the video you are referring be made available for me.

I will allow Con to satisfy my clarifications in round 1 before the first argument.
TheMatt

Con

TheMatt forfeited this round.
Martley

Pro

Forfeit Accepted
TheMatt

Con

TheMatt forfeited this round.
Martley

Pro

Forfeit Accepted
Posted by Sagey 3 years ago
Sagey
Pro: I watched the video, and only gained 2 things from it.
Lee Strobel is an Idiot, and John Shelby Spong destroyed Albert Mohler.
Posted by Sagey 3 years ago
Sagey
Buddhism is getting popular, maybe Christianity can morph into Buddhism, because most of the teachings of Jesus Christ originated from Buddha.
Posted by TheMatt 3 years ago
TheMatt
@CarolHan I'm saying that Christianity must not change, to adapt to culture or society. The opposition will argue that it must change(For the non-religious or people critical of their faith)
Posted by SONOFGOD2013 3 years ago
SONOFGOD2013
What does liberal mean?
Posted by SONOFGOD2013 3 years ago
SONOFGOD2013
What does liberal mean?
Posted by YYW 3 years ago
YYW
On the subject of Christianity's place in the world, yeah, something's gotta give. Change the resolution to "Christianity must liberalize to increase its membership." or something generally narrower than the resolution, present.
Posted by CarolHan 3 years ago
CarolHan
question... is the con saying that Christianity will change or that Christianity has to die
Vote Placed by philochristos 3 years ago
philochristos
TheMattMartleyTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit. This could've been an interesting debate.
Vote Placed by Sagey 3 years ago
Sagey
TheMattMartleyTied
Reasons for voting decision: The Instigator did not mount any real argument and the video was actually detrimental to Con's case as Spong was destroying his nutjob opponent Mohler in their argument. And the biggest nutjob of the movie: Lee Strobel only stated nothing but fallacies. Clearly Con had no case. Pro and Spong are correct, Christianity much change or die!