The-Voice-of-Truth
Kylar

Mutualy Assured Destruction

The-Voice-of-Truth

Pro

I have created this topic before, and no one accepted, so I took screenshots of it last time. I will use those screenshots:

Forgive me if my sources are inaccessible. You can just loom up the definitions using my given websites.

Kylar

Con

I accept this challenge and I look forward to a great debate my friend :).
The-Voice-of-Truth

Pro

Thank you, Kylar, for accepting this Debate.

Arguments:

Contention 1: Precluding Nuclear Conflict
Mutually Assured Destruction, though intitially developed to ensure the mutual destruction of Russia, precluded a nuclear conflict with Russia.

MAD exisisted partially due to the fact that there never was (nor still is) an effective way to shoot down an ICBM or SBLM. Without an effective way to shoot down these missiles in the event of a nuclear strike and retaliation, all involved parties would suffer complete anhialation. Love-of-life was valued more than total destruction, thus, a potential military conflict did not occur.

Becuase of MAD, both sides were literally afraid to launch the first-strike. If one of the involved nations did so much as increase its nuclear-systems alertness, the other involved nation would launch nuclear missiles on warning (called fail-deadly). [1]
_____________________________________________________________________________

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org...;
Kylar

Con

Kylar forfeited this round.
The-Voice-of-Truth

Pro

The-Voice-of-Truth forfeited this round.
Kylar

Con

Kylar forfeited this round.
The-Voice-of-Truth

Pro

Sorry about the forfeitures. I was on Spring Break, and my opponent and I agreed not to post any further arguments. Thanks.
Kylar

Con

I am still on spring break, may we do this next week after Easter? I need time to recuperate, I am tired after a long vacation
The-Voice-of-Truth

Pro

Yeah. No problem.
Kylar

Con

Kylar forfeited this round.
Posted by The-Voice-of-Truth 2 years ago
The-Voice-of-Truth
I just realized that Spring Break is next week, and I won't be able to post arguments.
Posted by tejretics 2 years ago
tejretics
Today, there are anti-ballistic missile systems that can counter ICBMs. (I dunno about SLBMs, but it should work on the same principle)