TN05
IX

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is gay

TN05

Pro

This debate is on the resolution "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is gay". Pro (myself) will be arguing MLP is gay, while Con (my opponent) will be arguing that MLP is not gay. BOP is entirely on Pro.

Rules:
*First round is for acceptance
*Second round is for opening statements (no rebuttals)
*Third round is for rebuttals/new points
*Fourth round is for closing arguments (no new points)
*No personal attacks
*Violating the rules results in forfeiture
IX

Con

I accept this. I assume that we will NOT be using the definitions of "gay" as "homosexual" or "stupid." Or, for that matter, anything BESIDES "happy."

Well played. Well. Played.
TN05

Pro

I would like to thank IX for accepting this debate. I agree to stick with 'gay' or a similar term as the only definition used (using the definition of 'bright, lively' or 'brilliant in color' would be incredibly unfair. :P). I propose Dictionary.com's third definition for "gay" be used (having or showing a merry, lively mood: gay spirits; gay music. cheerful, gleeful, happy, glad, cheery, lighthearted, joyous, joyful, jovial; sunny, lively, vivacious, sparkling; chipper, playful, jaunty, sprightly, blithe. serious, grave, solemn, joyless; staid, sedate; unhappy, morose, grim; sad, depressed, melancholy.) or, barring that, the first definition in the Mirriam-Webster dictionary (happily excited: merry: in a gay mood; keenly alive and exuberant; having or inducing high spirits; a bird's gay spring song).

Now, defining whether or not My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is gay is rather simple: it must be proved to be generally gay, fitting with the supplied definitions. Now, let us look at some real-life ponies:

These don't look too gay. Lets compare them to MLP:FiM ponies:

As we can clearly see, real-life ponies look significantly less gay - they are not nearly as gay as the ponies from MLP:FiM. The colors and demeanor of the MLP:FiM ponies, in particular, give the impression that they are much more gay than real ponies. Therefore, we can say that the average MLP pony is more gay than the average real-life pony. This is significant, because most people would agree ponies are not humans so comparing the average pony emotion with the average human one would be unrepresentative of gay-ness in the context of a pony.

As you can see, the MLP ponies are on average much more gay than real ponies. Now, we can go on to scenery. Here is an example of a real-life map of a major country, the United States:

That doesn't look too gay. Let's compare this to a map of the pony country Equestria:

The quality is quite a bit reduced on it, but even with that this still looks much more gay. The colors and atmosphere of the Equestria map are much more gay and, in turn, suggest the MLP:FiM country of Equestria is much more gay than the real country of the United States.

Now, let's move on to 'bad guys'. Here are some real-life bad guys:

As you can see, none of them look very gay. Let's look at an MLP:FiM 'bad guy':

At a close glance, this villain appears to be much more gay than real-life bad guys. The black and blue look much more gay than the black-and-white of Hitler and Stalin, and she appears much more happy than any of the three 'bad guys'.

These represent only a cursory examination of the overall gay-ness level of MLP:FiM. I have left out important aspects which are obvious, such as title suggesting gayness (Friendship is Magic) and the gay-sounding names of the main characters (Rainbow Dash, Twilight Sparkle, Pinkie Pie), the overall gay appearance of the main characters, or the much gayer house. However, even a brief glimpse of its material shows that MLP:FiM is very gay, at the very least in comparison to the nature of real-life ponies, environments, and bad guys.
IX

Con

I concur with my opponent's definitions.

Additionally, my opponent does a very good job in providing comparative images to show that, after a cursory examination, MLP: FiM appears to be more gay than real-life ponies, environments, and villains. However, his arguments show only that: a cursory examination. They only show one instance, and one (most likely deliberately rigged) axis of comparison between MLP and the real world. Furthermore, as my opponent conceded, they only show gay-ness in comparison. It would likely be abusive for me to attempt to place alternative BoP on my opponent, though, so I shall attempt to refrain from doing so.

In refutation, I argue the following (please note that this turns my opponent's arguments. Cross-apply it to them):

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is a show that, while having the façade of gay-ness, is actually insidious and utterly non-gay underneath its gay exterior.

I offer the following rationale:

MLP, according to [1], is "at heart a 'self-help' show." That means it deals with such decidedly non-gay issues as "being ostracized," "losing [one's] friends," and being overly tolerant to a personally-damaging fault. Furthermore, MLP deals with issues like bigotry (in the case of the episode Bridle Gossip [2]); spreading rumors ([2], [3]); disregarding one's responsibilities ([4]); and pride ([5], among others), among many, many, many other "ideal-teaching" lessons.

All of these lessons are dressed up in the outward façade of gay-ness that my opponent has provided examples of, however this does not mean that the entirety of the show MLP: FiM is gay.

My opponent's arguments deal solely with the outward appearance of the show (names, places, characters, art styles, etc.) and do not even mention the rest of the show's constituents (e.g. plot, life lessons, character personalities).

In addition to the decidedly non-gay issues brought up under a gay façade, FiM's characters are also portrayed in a very mature way: they deal with real-world problems, and their personality flaws are relateable to many watchers of the show. Examples of personality flaws include: antisocial tendencies (exemplified by Twilight Sparkle); insecurity (Pinkie Pie); impatience (Applejack);
envy (Rarity); pride (Rainbow Dash); and detrimental timidity (Fluttershy). One character in particular, Pinkie Pie, may be suffering from a medical condition known as Disassociative Identity Disorder or Mulitiple Personality Disorder (extrapolated from data on Pinkie Pie's character page [6] and the WebMD page on DID/MPD [7]).

These topics are most assuredly not gay. Any exterior appearances of gay-ness are outweighed by the show's inner lack of gay-ness due to its discussion of mature, deep topics. Therefore, the resolution stands negated.

Citations:
[1]:http://www.roundstable.com...;
[2]:http://mlp.wikia.com...;
[3]:http://mlp.wikia.com...;
[4]:http://mlp.wikia.com...;
[5]:http://mlp.wikia.com...;
[6]:http://mlp.wikia.com...
[7]:http://www.webmd.com...;

Thank you~
-IX
TN05

Pro

I'll respond to my opponent's remarks individually:

*If my opponent finds issue with my US map, I would ask he find a different one to compare. However, it is very clear - even without the map - that the United States does not have many gay areas like Equestria does.

*My opponent makes several interesting points about underlying plot details beneath the surface of MLP:FiM. Yes, it is true the entire plot of the show is not gay, and the characters are not gay at all times. However, is the subtitle of the show not "Friendship is Magic", an undeniably gay slogan? Like many shows and movies, MLP:FiM reveals the main point of the show in its slogan, and you can recognize the main objective from it. Let's compare this to other works of fiction with plot give-aways in the title:

*Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back is about the empire striking back on the rebels for destroying the Death Star
*Home Alone II: Lost in New York is about the main character getting lost in New York
*The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring focuses on the forming of the Fellowship and their early adventures

This is a clear trend towards giving the main purpose of the plot is given away in the title. My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, being a gay title, gives away a generally gay plot about the magic of friendship. At the very least, one could argue the plots my opponent presents are the show telling you "If you want to be gay, don't do X. If you are doing X, here is how to be gay again". In that case, it would be a self-help show on how to be gay.
IX

Con

IX forfeited this round.
TN05

Pro

It appears my opponent has forfeited his round, unfortunately. Vote Pro!
IX

Con

IX forfeited this round.
Posted by TN05 4 years ago
TN05
Well, it looks like Con left Debate.org entirely! Not sure why, this was a good debate. :(
Posted by TN05 4 years ago
TN05
Posted by TN05 4 years ago
TN05
Yeah, I didn't think you would get stuff from the comments, I just wanted to make it clear that trying to help any side in a debate through external means is not really appropriate. :)
Posted by IX 4 years ago
IX
@TN05
Don't worry--I already had my arguments formulated. I'm just getting them down in written form. If anything appears like I drew inspiration from any of the comments, please point it out and have everyone disregard it.
Posted by TN05 4 years ago
TN05
It isn't really fair to try to help any debater from the comments section.
Posted by Sui_Generis 4 years ago
Sui_Generis
Oh! Oh! Oh! Con! Show pictures of evil-looking bad pony, and laughing dictators. Show depictions of bad areas of equestria, and of happy places on earth. Bring up the negative aspects of friendship, and the negative instances of "magic"...
Posted by Beginner 4 years ago
Beginner
PRO's summative round 2 paragraph is super-epic. :D:D **
Posted by TN05 4 years ago
TN05
MassiveDump - I intended to use all of them except those relating to homsexuality or stupidity.
Posted by TN05 4 years ago
TN05
I'm fine with that; I don't like refining the term used, but I'll do so to get the debate going.
Posted by MassiveDump 4 years ago
MassiveDump
Could you please provide which definition on your source specifically will be used, or are you using all of them?