crackofdawn_Jr
shadeofgrey

My Opponent was, or Currently is, on Crack

shadeofgrey

crackofdawn_Jr

Pro

Hello Jessica, thank you for joining DDO and taking part in (if you accept) your first debate. The resolution which I stand in affirmation of is that you DO or DID crack cocaine. We both have the burden of proof and if both of us fail to prove our point then we this debate is a tie.

Because this is your first debate on DDO I would like to give you the honor of posting your arguments first. Before you do that, I would like to ask a couple questions and give some definitions.

Crack- Also called rock. Slang. pellet-size pieces of highly purified cocaine, prepared with other ingredients for smoking, and known to be especially potent and addicting (http://dictionary.reference.com...)

Do you, or have you ever done, crack?

Do you speak any hispanic languages?
shadeofgrey

Con

Firstly, I strongly deny your claims of ever using crack cocaine.

To answer your second question, I do not fluently speak any Hispanic languages.

In order to win this debate, you must prove that I actually use or once used crack cocaine. You have the burden of proof because you are the instigator. I just need to disprove your statements.

I would like to present a few definitions:
Was: past of be
Is: present of be
(http://www.askoxford.com...)
It is then clear that the resolution is either true or false. This leads me to believe that my opponent clearly has burden of proof and that no such burden can be shared.

I now await your case.
crackofdawn_Jr

Pro

I would like to thank my opponent for accepting this debate.

<>

So in your own words, "the resolution is either true of ralse". This means that there is no middle ground for you OR me. I clearly stated in the first round that we both of the burden of proof and by accepting this debate you accepted my terms. If you DIDN'T want the BOP, you should've asked me to revise my argument before accepting. If I must prove that the resolution is true, then YOU must prove the resolution is false. If you fail and I also fail, then we both should get no votes for the convincing arguments section as we both obviously didn't make convincing enough arguments.

Some of the side effects of this drug are:

Changes in blood pressure
Heart rates
Breathing rates
Nausea
Vomiting
Anxiety
Convulsions
Insomnia
Loss of appetite leading to malnutrition and weight loss
Cold sweats
Swelling and bleeding of mucous membranes
Restlessness and anxiety
Damage to nasal cavities
Damage to lungs
Possible heart attacks, strokes, or convulsions
(http://www.cocaineaddictiondrugrehab.com...)

<>

My opponent claims that she doesn't and hasn't used crack cocaine, however, she is simply expressing denial. Denail is a commonly associated attribute of drug use and addiction. (http://www.drug-addiction.com...)

CONTENTION 1: Denial

My opponent denies that she uses cocaine and is thus in denial. Denial is a common trait that over 5 million drug abusers deal with every year (http://www.drug-addiction.com...). It's a major problem because to fix a problem you first need to acknowledge it.

CONTENTION 2: SYMPTOMS
Anxiety: My opponent is a very anxious person. Just last week she was worried about an interview for a class project and had a cold sweat and shivers. She was extremely anxious and very worried, much more than her fellow applicants.

Insomnia: The two major causes of Insomnia are Anxiety and Depression (http://www.mayoclinic.com...). My opponent is a very anxious person because of the crack and when she goes without the crack she becoems depressed. This often causes people to wake up early in the morning. My opponent goes to bed at 10:00 P.M. or later and she wakes up at 4:00 A.M. with only 6 or less hours of sleep. This is much less than what a healthy teenager needs, yet she still is able to be peppy and happy in the morning. The only explanation for this is she snorts crack early on as a pick-me-up for the day.

Loss of appetite leading to malnutrition and weight loss: My opponent is a very skinny person, probably from the effects of crack.

Cold Sweats: My opponent's hands are always very cold and clammy, even inside at room temperature. Also, see Anxiety.

Restlessness and anxiety: My opponent is a very restless and anxious person. See Insomnia and Anxiety.

CONTENTION 3: Divorced Parents

I talked with my opponent beforehand to make sure that it was okay to mention this. My opponent has divorced parents and her father has remarried. Around 40% of children in the U.S. have divorced parents and around 20-25% of these children suffer negative effects from this such as substance abuse (http://healthvermont.gov...). My opponent has divorced parents and so by statistics alone has AT LEAST a 1 and 4 chance of being a drug abuser.

CONTENTION 4: No Money

My opponent never has any of her own money. She often runs out of texts and will not buy more for a week or two. She often tells me how she works to clean her house and how she babysits and does many other odd jobs. So, the question is, where does this money go to? To put it simply, drugs, specifically crack. Drug users often have to spend so much money on their drugs, that they cannot afford to get much else unless they steal or commit other crimes. My opponent, as far as I know, does not steal and that is why she is often out of money.

CONTENTION 5: Grades

At the beginning of the year, my opponent had almost all A's and did better than me in school. However, as the first semester closed and up until now her grades have slipped below mine. My opponent and I have the same classes, yet her grades are unexplicably slipping. The only explanation is crack because it is a well-known fact that drug abuse causes a lowering of grades in the majority of abusers.

CONTENTION 6: Hispanic

My opponent is of hispanic descent and is therefore more likely to use crack.(http://alcoholism.about.com...)

I await my opponent's response.
shadeofgrey

Con

I thank my opponent for his timely response.

I would like to state that my opponent merely argued how it is MORE LIKELY that I use crack. It was not proved to be 100% fact. All the symptoms listed could just as easily be symptoms for something completely different. For instance, generalized anxiety and social phobia both fit these symptoms.

Symptoms of generalized anxiety and panic attacks include:
-Irrational fear or dread, elevated heart rate, palpitations
-Muscle tension, headache, chest pain
-Insomnia
-Diarrhea, GI distress, IBS, nausea
-Chest pressure, shortness of breath, tearfulness
-Jumpiness, irritability, shakiness, sudden changes in body temperature, hot flashes
-Depression
When anxious, you usually don't feel tired or hungry (http://www.womentowomen.com...).

Many people with social phobia are preoccupied with concerns hat other people will see their anxiety symptoms (i.e., trembling, sweating, or blushing); or notice their halting or rapid speech; or judge them to be weak, stupid, or "crazy". Having one's mind going blank are also not uncommon
(http://www.surgeongeneral.gov...).

I will now argue every point made by my opponent in terms of generalized anxiety, social phobia, or the validity of his information.

Argument against Contention 1: Denial
- "My opponent denies that she uses cocaine and is thus in denial." By saying this, my opponent is claiming that everyone who denies using crack is in denial and is therefore a drug abuser. This is clearly not the case.

Argument against Contention 2: Symptoms
- Denial: my opponent claims I am "a very anxious person". This characteristic is a MAJOR part in both generalized anxiety and social phobia. In concern to the interview I had the previous week, Social Phobia describes a marked and persistent fear of social or performance situations in which embarrassment might occur (http://counsellingresource.com...). I was this way because I was afraid of being rejected from the position.
- Insomnia: see symptoms of generalized anxiety. My opponent states "The two major causes of Insomnia are Anxiety or Depression." Anxiety being a major cause leads me to believe that there is an even greater chance of either generalized anxiety disorder or social phobia, which is also known as social anxiety disorder.
-Loss of appetite leading to malnutrition and weight loss: It was stated that I am skinny from the effects of crack. Once again, this is also a symptom of generalized anxiety disorder. See symptoms of generalized anxiety list.
-Cold sweats and shivers: In concern to my cold sweats, see symptoms of generalized anxiety to find sudden changes in body temperature as a symptom.
- Restlessness and anxiety: see Anxiety.

Argument against Contention 3: Divorced Parents
- I do have divorced parents. It has been this way since I was 5 years old. The divorce of my parents is a normal way of life rather than a stressor to me because that is just the way I grew up. The divorce of my parents has never been a problem that would lead me into a drug-filled life. If my opponent chooses to argue that it has been stressful to my life, I could just as easily tie it to generalized anxiety. People with generalized anxiety anticipate disaster and are overly concerned about health issues, money, FAMILY PROBLEMS, or difficulties at work (http://www.nimh.nih.gov...).

Argument against Contention 4: No Money
- I would like to point out that my parents pay for all things to do with my cell phone (including texting). I do not run out of money. I would also like to point out that I currently have $380 saved up in cash. I do not like wasting money, rather I am one who believes in saving.

Argument against Contention 5: Grades
- My opponent has greatly mislead you in his statements concerning my grades. Firstly, I will begin with saying in the beginning of the year, I DID have all As (forget the "almost"). This, according to my opponent's own argument, strikes any claims that I was once on crack. Secondly, my grades have only occasionally been higher than my opponent's. Thirdly, my grades have certainly NOT been slipping. On my last report card, my lowest grade was a 96. My opponent knew this fact.

Argument against Contention 6: Hispanic
- Although I am in fact Hispanic, I am only half-Hispanic. I am also half-Hungarian.
-I would also like to use this section to reveal that both generalized anxiety and social phobia are more likely to affect me.
- Social phobia typically has an onset in the mid-teens (http://www.mentalhealth.com...). I am in fact 15 years old.
- Generalized anxiety often hits people in childhood or adolescence. It is more common in women than in men (http://psychcentral.com...). I am also a female.

I would like to suggest that because neither one of us is able to produce sufficient proof that we change the direction of this argument and go about it in a way as to who makes a more likely argument. My opponent is unable to solidly prove that I am on crack. By doing it this way, both my opponent and I then have the possibility of gaining points where points would otherwise not be given.

I am eager to hear my opponent's argument.
crackofdawn_Jr

Pro

I thank my opponent for her well-thought response.

<>

If something is 100% proven, then there's no point in debating it. We had this conversation at school, and you agreed with me on this point. I'm proving that it's MORE LIKELY you use crack and you're proving it's LESS LIKELY you use crack.

So in the previous round my opponent's whole argument was based on her having Social Phobia. Social Phobia is caused by problems with neurotransmitters in the brain called dopamine and seretonin.
(http://www.anxietytreatment.ca...). Crack works by signaling these 2 brain signals to create pleasure for the user. However, by using it over and over again the cocaine damages these neurons and they tend to stop sending a signal at all or signal at a reduced rate (http://en.wikipedia.org...). This causes less pleasure, anxiety, and depression. So in effect, social phobia is a side effect of crack cocaine. This means that by admitting she has social phobia she has admitted to a side effect of the drug she is taking.

<>

You misunderstand me, what I was saying is that people who take crack tend to be in denial. This is only used as an add-on piece of evidence for the other contentions.

<<- I do have divorced parents. It has been this way since I was 5 years old. The divorce of my parents is a normal way of life rather than a stressor to me because that is just the way I grew up. The divorce of my parents has never been a problem that would lead me into a drug-filled life. If my opponent chooses to argue that it has been stressful to my life, I could just as easily tie it to generalized anxiety. People with generalized anxiety anticipate disaster and are overly concerned about health issues, money, FAMILY PROBLEMS, or difficulties at work (http://www.nimh.nih.gov......).>>

But you have moved from Virginia to Texas last year after your father remarried. Many people would say this would be a major cause of stress and anxiety that you tried to solve with crack.

<<- I would like to point out that my parents pay for all things to do with my cell phone (including texting). I do not run out of money. I would also like to point out that I currently have $380 saved up in cash. I do not like wasting money, rather I am one who believes in saving.>>

So your parents pay for everything and you only have $380 saved up? You've made around $11 a week for a year cleaning your house and doing other chores. This alone makes $530 and when you add in the fact you worked for your mother's company in Virginia over the summers, babysat, and birthday money you should have way over $380 dollars. Who knows, maybe you even steal from your parents as this is a common habit of most drug abusers.

<>

I agree that neither of us can solidly prove our side. However, I believe I have provided sufficient enough evidence to prove my point over yours.

It's been a great debate! Glad to have you on DDO!
shadeofgrey

Con

I thank my opponent's clear response.

"So in the previous round my opponent's whole argument was based on her having Social Phobia."

My opponent missed the point of my last argument. I was not saying that I must have Social Phobia or General Anxiety Disorder. I was trying to make a point that there are SO MANY other possibilities that my "symptoms" show signs of.

A MAJORITY of the side effects my opponent listed for cocaine do not relate to me in any way such as changes in blood pressure, heart rates, breathing rates, nausea, vomiting, convulsions, swelling and bleeding of mucous membranes, damage to nasal cavities, and damage to lungs. On top of that, there are other common physical side effects that many people would notice (but don't) if I used cocaine.

Short-term cocaine effects include:
Increased blood pressure
Constricted blood vessels
Dilated pupils
Mental alertness
Increased energy
Increased heart rate
Decreased appetite
Increased temperature
(http://www.cocaine-effects.com...)

If I used crack, my pupils would most definitely be dilated. This is an obvious sign of cocaine use. My opponent has not mentioned this because he has never seen my pupils dilate in such a way. If he said such, it would be clear proof of cocaine use as it is not caused by many other things. My pupils do not dilate and have not dilated because I do not use or used cocaine.

"Social Phobia is caused by problems with neurotransmitters in the brain called dopamine and seretonin."

My opponent makes it seem like this is solid proof. This might not even be true! Although some studies suggest involvement of dopamine and serotonin, other studies have not supported the idea that these two neurotransmitters are related to social anxiety disorder (http://www.anxietytreatment.ca...).

Once again, my opponent does not relay the true idea of my life when he says I, "have moved from Virginia to Texas last year after your father remarried." My opponent does truthfully say my father remarries but, he remarried when I was 6 years old. That happened almost 9 years ago.

"So your parents pay for everything and you only have $380 saved up? "

I am a teenage girl. I go shopping and to the movies every weekend. The $380 is my spending money. I said "in cash". I have thousands more saved in my bank account. I just like to stay at around $380 in cash. Each week I get $10. That's all. I only baby sit our neighbors every couple weeks. I don't get an extravagant amount all the time.

"I believe I have provided sufficient enough evidence to prove my point over yours."

I would disagree and say you did not prove your point over mine. I did so.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would really like to thank my opponent for offering this debate as my very first one to participate in. He is also my friend and was the one who encouraged me to join DDO. So, I give a special thanks to him. Thank you to everyone and anyone who votes in either favor.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
Posted by wjmelements 8 years ago
wjmelements
I agree. CON did a really good job with this.
Posted by trendem 8 years ago
trendem
This was a lulzy debate. I'm voting Con because Pro's arguments suffered from a grave fallacy that Con adeptly pointed out: the fallacy of affirming the consequent. Pro's argument in syllogistic form is:

(a) Cocaine users suffer from syndrome X.
(b) Con suffers from syndrome X.
CONCLUSION: Con is a cocaine user.

This is analogous to:
(a) All cocaine users breathe.
(b) Con breathes.
CONCLUSION: Con is a cocaine user.

Or more generally:
(a) If it rains the streets get wet.
(b) The streets are wet.
C: It rained.

The argument excludes alternative explanations, such as the streets were washed etc.
Posted by mongoose 8 years ago
mongoose
v Then why are you debating an unreliable person? LOL.
Posted by crackofdawn_Jr 8 years ago
crackofdawn_Jr
Lol, good job SOG, I would just like to point out that because of your crack use nothing you say is reliable. ;)
Posted by Rob1Billion 8 years ago
Rob1Billion
shadeofgray have you considered getting some help for your problem? I know some really good therapists that would love to sit you down for a one-on-one...
Posted by Rob1Billion 8 years ago
Rob1Billion
Pro is handling himself very well here, and is drawing my vote. He already asserted that he knows Con personally, so he is a primary source for verification of the thesis presented. I can see the denial quite clearly...
Posted by Icarus57 8 years ago
Icarus57
Rue ror Ralse?
Posted by wjmelements 8 years ago
wjmelements
No it doesn't....
Posted by snelld7 8 years ago
snelld7
True or ralse sure sounds funny lol
Posted by crackofdawn_Jr 8 years ago
crackofdawn_Jr
For one mistake? I have to say, that's ridiculous.
Vote Placed by ninjaraygun 8 years ago
ninjaraygun
crackofdawn_JrshadeofgreyTied
Vote Placed by crackofdawn_Jr 8 years ago
crackofdawn_Jr
crackofdawn_JrshadeofgreyTied
Vote Placed by Epicism 8 years ago
Epicism
crackofdawn_JrshadeofgreyTied
Vote Placed by colormecourtney 8 years ago
colormecourtney
crackofdawn_JrshadeofgreyTied
Vote Placed by mongeese 8 years ago
mongeese
crackofdawn_JrshadeofgreyTied
Vote Placed by trendem 8 years ago
trendem
crackofdawn_JrshadeofgreyTied
Vote Placed by mongoose 8 years ago
mongoose
crackofdawn_JrshadeofgreyTied
Vote Placed by LB628 8 years ago
LB628
crackofdawn_JrshadeofgreyTied