LR4N6FTW4EVA
gahbage

My esteemed opponent should join lr4n6.

LR4N6FTW4EVA

Pro

You should. You are good at debate, and you don't do it competitively. If you did join, you would have practice and stuff, and you would do really well. Forensics has all sorts of cool opportunities, and you obviously like to debate. Even if you can somehow beat me in this debate, it just proves you should join.
gahbage

Con

I thank my opponent for this challenge.

Voters, my opponent has worded the resolution such that it can be applied to the reader, and not just the instigator. When I read the resolution, I am now against the motion that "My esteemed opponent should join LR4N6". And how can I not be? After all, my opponent is already a member of the LR4N6 team. How can he join it if he has already joined?

Regardless, I will debate the way my opponent has intended - I do not believe that I should join the LR4N6 team.

"You are good at debate, and you don't do it competitively."

I disagree. My win ratio is barely above the 50% point, and I frequently make mistakes in the way I go about interpreting and refuting an argument. I also forget to proofread my arguments, for example, and post quickly, not giving second thoughts to my rebuttals. Imagine how much worse this could be when I don't have the chance to look over my argument, and am constrained by time limits. I may be better than many people at debating, but then again, are many people good at debating?

Furthermore, I'm not sure if I would want to debate competitively. I mainly do this as a past-time when I'm bored. To be more specific, I'm not as interested with debating as I am with, say, basketball (the best sport).

"If you did join, you would have practice and stuff, and you would do really well. Forensics has all sorts of cool opportunities, and you obviously like to debate."

But I may not have time to handle this. Even now I am juggling the tasks of messing with my iPod, finishing my summer reading, and communicating with people - and school hasn't even started yet. Who knows what activites I'll get involved in?

"Even if you can somehow beat me in this debate, it just proves you should join."

On the contrary, it proves absolutely nothing. At the least, it would prove that I can debate better than you, but it does not, because this is merely one debate out of many possible resolutions.
LR4N6FTW4EVA

Pro

Okay, you are wrong, and I'll prove it.

"I disagree. My win ratio is barely above the 50% point, and I frequently make mistakes in the way I go about interpreting and refuting an argument. I also forget to proofread my arguments, for example, and post quickly, not giving second thoughts to my rebuttals. Imagine how much worse this could be when I don't have the chance to look over my argument, and am constrained by time limits. I may be better than many people at debating, but then again, are many people good at debating?"

It's better than my win ratio, and you have never gotten advice or anything from a trained coach, I have, if you did, your win ratio would be even better.

"Furthermore, I'm not sure if I would want to debate competitively. I mainly do this as a past-time when I'm bored. To be more specific, I'm not as interested with debating as I am with, say, basketball (the best sport)."

Many members of the debate team do not take it super seriously, and others do other extracurriculars. I did other extracurriculars last year, and I plan on doing so this year. Basketball (the team you didn't even make last year) would still fit in with your schedule.

"But I may not have time to handle this. Even now I am juggling the tasks of messing with my iPod, finishing my summer reading, and communicating with people - and school hasn't even started yet. Who knows what activites [sic] I'll get involved in?"

Wow (sarcasm) you're doing a lot. I'm doing a hell of a lot more but I still have ample time to debate, and still do all sorts of other stuff. This is an unfounded worry.

"On the contrary, it proves absolutely nothing. At the least, it would prove that I can debate better than you, but it does not, because this is merely one debate out of many possible resolutions."

It would prove that you are superior to me, and I am a fairly good debater on the team.
gahbage

Con

"It's better than my win ratio, and you have never gotten advice or anything from a trained coach, I have, if you did, your win ratio would be even better."

Still, it's my personality to not second-guess my rebuttals, and this would be a bigger problem when I'm not able to proofread my argument, or take my time with it. You know that I usually say some illogical (possibly an understatement) things when I have to debate in person with a quick response. I'd probably actually be more of a hindrance to the team than a help.

"Many members of the debate team do not take it super seriously, and others do other extracurriculars. I did other extracurriculars last year, and I plan on doing so this year. Basketball (the team you didn't even make last year) would still fit in with your schedule."

Even so, I just got a call saying I will be starting work ASAP, so that will most definitely get in the way.

"Wow (sarcasm) you're doing a lot"

Like I said, who knows what activities I'll get involved in?

"It would prove that you are superior to me, and I am a fairly good debater on the team."

Actually, so far, I believe you have won more debates against me than I have against you. These are our four debates:

Abortion debate: 10-10 tie
The chicken came before the egg: 0-12 you
Ray will get laid before Ethan: 4-5 you (I have no idea how >.>)
Heal care debate: 2-5 me

So you're 2-1-1, and I'm 1-2-1. I'm reluctant to admit it, but right now you are superior to me. (In debating.)
LR4N6FTW4EVA

Pro

"Still, it's my personality to not second-guess my rebuttals, and this would be a bigger problem when I'm not able to proofread my argument, or take my time with it. You know that I usually say some illogical (possibly an understatement) things when I have to debate in person with a quick response. I'd probably actually be more of a hindrance to the team than a help."

You are better than two people that are our mutual acquaintances that joined the team. That's pretty much all you need. In real debate, you practice and prepare your argument and rebuttals, so you are very prepared at a competition, and never at a loss for words.

"Even so, I just got a call saying I will be starting work ASAP, so that will most definitely get in the way."

If you are working right after school ends on Tuesdays and Thursdays maybe, debate practice is over at 3:30. Even so, you can stop by in the mornings before first period for 5 minutes to show her (the coach) your case, or you could just work with either me of sweatingjojo, as we are the two VPs of debate.

"Like I said, who knows what activities I'll get involved in?"

I know, debate!

"Actually, so far, I believe you have won more debates against me than I have against you."

Ray will get laid before Ethan: I was bound to win that one of course. You should not have challenged me in that one. All the contender has to say is that you can't prove it.

The chicken came before the egg: Again, dumb idea, everyone knows the egg came first.

Abortion debate: You tied me in your first debate, that's good.

Health care debate: You beat me soundly in our second serious debate.

Hot button issue: I had an easy side to defend, and we tied, that's not bad.

JUST JOIN THE GODD**N team!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
gahbage

Con

Well, regardless of my skill level (Why am I convincing you I'm not good at something? Anyway...), if I do not have the time to debate, then I surely should not join the team. And since my schedule, as of now, can have me work at any given time (except school), it would be quite a risky gamble to bet that I would not have it after school. For example, what if I decide to join the team, and then I am scheduled to work during practice time? It will have been a wasted effort. And I would rather keep my job, because I could use the valuable experience (and money).

But even if i didn't work during practice, that would leave me little free time. And I would have to spend most (if not all) of that time on homework. Leaving me virtually no free time.

Therefore I urge a CON vote, because I should not make a commitment that I may not be able to fulfill, and even if I do fulfill it, I will have little time for anything else.

And for the record, you don't have to censor "damn". =P
Posted by dairygirl4u2c 8 years ago
dairygirl4u2c
it's like pro is saying "you are good at debate and should join. okay, you say you're not and shouldn't, but i say you're wrong."
if he was good at debte,,, isn't he right here?

well, i can see he'd be wrong at one point, but generaly he's right.
but the irony is irrefutable.
Posted by LR4N6FTW4EVA 8 years ago
LR4N6FTW4EVA
I can't stop you. You just have to figure out how to make him.
Posted by gahbage 8 years ago
gahbage
@ jojo or LR4N6: Can I be baby Obama?
Posted by PublicForumG-d 8 years ago
PublicForumG-d
I don't know how you're measuring ability by a bunch of fundie trolls that post on this website.

Good debate requires the ability to persistently and exhaustively prep, the ability to emotionally yet factually orate, and above all the ability to persuade.

This is not a good indicator of win ability.
Posted by gahbage 8 years ago
gahbage
I knew I was missing a debate! (Talk about not proofreading my rebuttals)

Our "Hot button Issue" debate is tied 2-2. For some insane reason...
Posted by Sweatingjojo 8 years ago
Sweatingjojo
False.
25 characters are the win.
Posted by LR4N6FTW4EVA 8 years ago
LR4N6FTW4EVA
She is doing LD I believe actually. Unless you are talking about some new person that I don't know about.
Posted by Sweatingjojo 8 years ago
Sweatingjojo
Not to mention, Gahbage has a willing debate partner for PF. Not I, not lr champion. A female, who is also new. Although not the one who is joetehgirl, but the other asian.
Posted by Sweatingjojo 8 years ago
Sweatingjojo
The forensics team of our school, whose initials is LR.
Posted by PoeJoe 8 years ago
PoeJoe
Forgive my ignorance, but what is "lr4n6"?
Vote Placed by gahbage 8 years ago
gahbage
LR4N6FTW4EVAgahbageTied
Vote Placed by Sweatingjojo 8 years ago
Sweatingjojo
LR4N6FTW4EVAgahbageTied
Vote Placed by brian_eggleston 8 years ago
brian_eggleston
LR4N6FTW4EVAgahbageTied