dhbartlett12
Axiom

My first debate: something simple. "The Walking Dead" is the greatest show ever.

Axiom

dhbartlett12

Pro

The acting is par at best but the writing is great. Unlike any other show, the writers aren't afraid to make an episode were basically nothing happens. It is wonderfully suspenseful and it's character development is the best ever. A drama about people and not about zombies.
Axiom

Con

Walking Dead

Sounds like a fun debate, but I will debate seriously, as I do with all my debates. This is not a troll debate. T.V. shows are very, very serious. And of course, my opponent will not be able to uphold his BOP.

Firstly, I'd contend that half of my opponents entire opening statement deters rather than helps him. "The acting is par at best but the writing is great. Unlike any other show, the writers aren't afraid to make an episode were basically nothing happens."

My opponent states that the acting is part at best and the writers are unafraid to write a stagnant episode. He states his personal opinions in between, but on DDO--opinions get you used tissue paper and a pocketful of lint.

Let's examined the facts:

"The first season (of the walking dead) had an average of 5.24 million viewers." (http://en.wikipedia.org...(TV_series)

Compared to shows like Seinfeld this is pathetic. Seinfeld on its finale received 76 million viewers! 76 million! And according to TV Guide, Seinfeld is the greatest TV show of all time. It has received tens of awards, great acclaim and has a higher rating on IMDB. (http://en.wikipedia.org...)

The Walking Dead received 8.7 on IMDB. Which is impressive, but is dwarfed by such shows as Dexter, The Wire, Game of Thrones or Breaking Bad (All of which have more awards to their names and higher critic scores.)

The Walking Dead is also just LOST with zombies. And nobody likes a rip-off.
dhbartlett12

Pro

Can you talk to me bud? And what's a BOP?
You never talked about the fundamentals of the show, just the viewership. You did mention it is a rip off which its not. Lost started in 2004 while the Walking Dead comic series started in 2003.
Axiom

Con

BOP is burden of proof. It requires you as the instigator to give proof to your claim. If you do not, or if it is found insufficient, then the debate is given to Con.

Alright, as I have already posted sources and statistics I will provide my personal opinion as requested by the opposition. (I take all debates seriously, remember.)

The Walking Dead is a good show to be sure, it might even be great. But it is nowhere near the greatest show of all time by any stretch of the imagination. It doesn't have the ratings, the viewership, the awards, the critiques or reviews to warrant such an assertion.

My personal opinion: I found the show to be entertaining as the first season of Lost was entertaining. Hell, I loved the show, but not nearly as much as I loved Dexter, Game of Thrones, Lost or any other show of that genre.
Also, the fact (SPOILER ALERT!!!) that they kill of the best character at the end of the second season is terrible! It ruins the show. And Rick is just bad.
dhbartlett12

Pro

Rick is just great excuse me
Axiom

Con

That's obviously your opinion. Mine is that Rick is a mediocre character played by a sub-par actor. He cannot carry the script which was instead carried by Shawn.

Beyond that, you have faild to uphold your BOP. I accepted and responded under the stipulation that this discourse would be treated seriously so that I can count it as practice debating mundane matters. Your single sentence answers failed to do so.

I'd reccomend that you check out some other debates on this site to get a grasp of how things are done. Good luck in the voting and welcome to DDO :P.
Vote Placed by Maikuru 5 years ago
Maikuru
dhbartlett12AxiomTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro insults aspects of his own show and offers no credible or substantial benefits. Con gives us multiple criteria by which to judge and The Walking Dead wins none of them.
Vote Placed by ldcon 5 years ago
ldcon
dhbartlett12AxiomTied
Reasons for voting decision: Viewership seems reasonable...and isn't responded to.