My music is better

Started: 12/22/2013 Category: Music

Hello this debate will be a music debate, I would perfer an oppent who likes all types of music. Every round we will be posting a song.

Round 1- Acceptance.
Round 2- Metal Song.
Round 3- Electronic Song.
Round 4- 30's/40's/50's.
Round 5- Country.

If my opponent is not into one of those genres he/she can comment in the comment section and we can both agree on something else.

Hello, and thank you for beginning this debate. I happily accept your challenge.

I am a music lover. I believe that music is one of the major components of live that can be used to improve mental performance and clarity as well as overall happiness and well-being.

I just downloaded over five hundred classical pieces last night and ten albums in the past four days. I will say from the beginning, that I do have some limits as to what I am into. For instance, while I do like some country, it is limited to artists from the foundations of the genre, but that which I am into is a deep joy that I have had since childhood.

That said, I do not have the deep burning passion for country that many do. My musical passions lie within progressive rock, progressive metal, big band/swing, jazz, classical, electronica, downtempo, chill, and ambient. I have nothing but scorn and contempt for classic rock.

I look forward to what should prove to be a lively and fun debate.

Thank you for accepting this debate!
I hope people can discover some good music.

My metal song is Lightning & Snow by Woods of Ypres. They are a Doom Metal band, Doom Metal uses slower tempos, low-tuned guitars and a much "thicker" or "heavier" sound.

It is easy to understand the confidence you possess with regard to your musical sensibilities. I had never heard of Woods of Ypres before. But now that I have, I am impressed by their skill and interested in learning more about them. The doom metal bands that I listen to from time to time are Third and the Mortal [1] and Green Carnation [2], among others.

As I contemplate my selection from my own catalog as my response, I have to say I am at a bit of a loss with which band to respond. Within metal there are so many subgenres that it's difficult to respond with just one. But I will choose one song to respond with.

Metal is a subgenre of hard rock, which is in turn comprised of a number of subgenres itself. I am a huge fan of progressive metal, from bands like Porcupine Tree that explore the darker side of the human condition, to bands that make no use of vocals, rather letting their stratospheric, frenetically-paced music speak for them. Such bands are Animals As Leaders [3] and Scale The Summit [4].

Metal is typified by a number of elements. Complexity of chord progressions, odd time signatures, use of at least one guitar that may or not be tuned down, sometimes blistering guitar solos, blast beats, heavy bass lines and even keyboards. But metal digs much deeper into the human psyche, embracing the negative aspects of humanity. Rebellion, hate, fear, betrayal, anger, loss, unrequited love, despair, death, and on a more negative level, topics like necrophilia, torture, and cannibalism, all can be found in the lyrics by metal musicians as they forge their craft. Vocalists may use clean, soaring vocals, like Iron Maiden's Bruce Dickinson [5], or they may employ death vox, the primal, guttural sound that is often used by vocalists like Cannibal Corpses', George Fisher [6].

Or sometimes, the vocalist may choose to employ combine both singing styles into their music. This is often the case of Opeth's, Mikael Akerfeldt [7].

I have been a massive Opeth [8] fan for the past three years. Until I began listening to Opeth, I considered my favorite band to be the progressive legends, Rush. Although I still consider Rush to be my all-time favorite band, Opeth is currently my top pick. For me, Opeth filled a hole in my musical life that I had been missing for a very long time. Their music is light and dark, beautiful and grotesque, sacred and profane. Forged with elements of jazz, folk, and classical, their music has broad appeal and depth.

I am tempted to go with Animals As Leaders or Scale The Summit as my choice for response, but their music can sometimes be overwhelming to a new listener. After all, Animals As Leaders employ two 8-string guitars in the music, that affords them to the ability to forego the need for a bassist.

But I think I will stick with a selection from Opeth's formidable arsenal of songs as my choice of response. A song that is representative of their music and metal overall. A song of pain, hatred, and unrequited love. I offer a live performance of their song, The Moor, from their 1999 album, Still Life, as my response to Pro.

[1] The Third and the Mortal,
[2] Green Carnation,
[3] Animals As Leaders,
[4] Scale the Summit,
[5] Bruce Dickinson,
[6] George Fisher,
[7] Mikael Akerfeldt,
[8] Opeth,

Wow! I didn't expect quite a response and very nice song choice by the way.

Just like metal there are so many different genres of electronic music.[1]

I wanted to do some dubstep or trance but I wanted to share something new.

One type of electronic geners that has intrested me recentaly is Video Game electronic songs. Using the sound from video games.[2]

So the song I pick is Be Gone Mr. Gawne by Bossfight

Again, you have offered another group that I have never considered before. Like I said in my acceptance, this is going to be fun.

During my early days at Penn State, I was very much a Rush fan, but still limited in my experience with progressive rock/metal. I was even a Springsteen fan, for reasons that are now alien to me. But it was during my days at a Penn State branch campus that I met a friend who would expose me to so much more music that I would never have considered. He was a disk jockey at the time who was very into electronica, chill, and downtempo music. The groups that he exposed me to were vast, but the ones that really left an impression on me and found their way into my mp3 collection are Goldfrapp, Olive, Morcheeba, Zero 7, Hooverphonic, Moby, Daft Punk, Royksopp, Massive Attack, and although I don't consider them to be electronic, Portishead, which I grew wildly fascinated with, among many others.

Growing up with music filled with guitars, bass and drums, I would have never thought that I would come to love synthesized music. This new fascination led me to discover the online radio show, Hearts of Space, and the staggering array of artists and genres. The moment I discovered HOS, I felt like a kid in a candy store. Artists like Brian Eno, Daniel Lanois, Lanterna, Jon Durant, Jon Hopkins, and two of my favorite ambient bands, Marconi Union and Hammock, are now in my mp3 collection as well, and it is still growing.

As you rightly point out, there are many subgenres within electronica, perhaps even more than metal. Hardcore, trance, house, and and even some techno have found their way into my collection, but I never came to appreciate dubstep, much to my DJ friend's dismay; he's a massive Skrillex and Tiesto fan. Instead, I have focused on the soundscapes of ambient and downtempo within the electronica genre.

As was my choice with deciding on a metal band as a response, I have great difficulty in trying to select just one band. There are just so many great artists in the genre that you just don't know which way to go. On one hand, I want to respond with a deep ambient track, but ambient often has the tendency to not just relax listeners but put them to sleep, like Tor Lundvall's, Last Light. However, I still tend toward the calming atmosphere of downtempo when I do listen to electronica, so I will stick with something that neither too fast or slow.

I'm going to forego sources for this round since there are so many artists it would be just as easy to look them up without the need for citing them properly.

With that, I have made my selection. This was a very difficult decision for me, but this song has such a deep, immersive sound that it was hard not to. It's too bad FC/Kahuna aren't around, anymore. They were just too good to leave so suddenly. I offer their track, Hayling, as my response.

Bon appetit!

Thank you for responding with such a good song.

I love old music I love everything about it, but I have sort of stopped listening to it because of other genes. But I still listen to it though.

I think I like it so much because my Mum used to play it around the house and later on in life it made me start liking it.

The song I choose is I Don't Want To Set The World On Fire by the The Ink Spots.

I'm practically slamming my head my desk. I'm going to lose my debate composure for just a moment.

I Don't Want To Set The World on Fire is sooooo good.

I've regained my composure. I think.

Again, you've made it very difficult to come back with a response, but I think my response is a good one, nevertheless. Great, in fact. This song is timeless, uplifting, and just beautiful.

From time to time, my wife and I will have a discussion about what time it would have been best to grow up in. She thinks that today is the best time to be living, but I absolutely disagree.

I think of what it must have been like to watch the foundations of our nation being laid out in the hands of the Founders, and I can't help but think it the most exciting time in our nation's history.

I think about the industrial expansion from the east to the west, and I'm stunned and I stand in awe of those who made it happen. Morgan, Frick, Carnegie, Tesla, Ford, et al., have all made our lives better, in spite of fact that they were most likely some of the most vicious, cut-throat men that ever graced our nation (with the exception of Tesla, of course).

I think of the turbulence of the 60's. Even though I wasn't born yet, it had to have been an exciting time laced with wild desperation. The 60's gave us some of the greatest music ever recorded.

But when I think of the 30's and 40's, that's the time I think it would have been best and most exciting time to live. On one hand, it was probably the darkest episode in our nation's history after American slavery due to the financial ruin that embraced our country. My father is old enough to remember stories of people digging up groundhog holes just to find the poor creature so those people could have meat. And the late 30's and early 40's saw WWII, in which my great uncle served.

On the other hand. the 30's and 40's saw the expansion of two of my favorite topics -- science fiction and comic books. These two decades also gave us some of the greatest, uniquely American music that will ever exist. Although jazz took off in the 1910's, it gave rise to big band in the 20's and 30's, and then swing in the 30's and 40's. And every time I get into a car that has satellite radio, I don't even waste my time with metal or ambient. I go straight for the good stuff!

And I can't think of another song that encapsulates the glory of the era like In The Mood, by Glenn Miller, who went MIA during WWII somewhere over the English Channel. In The Mood is just timeless and uniquely American.

Haha! Sorry about that, great song you picked!

There are alot of country geners out there picking a song form so many geners was hard.

I started liking country after I had a Western movie frenzy, So when it comes to country songs, I really like the ones where they tell a western style sotry.

So I pick Big Iron by Marty Robbins

Cygnus I really enjoyed our music sharing deabte, hope we could do something like this again soon.

Good luck!

This is no joke, I had Marty Robbins in mind as a response. That is, until you posted Marty Robbins. A White Sport Coat and a Pink Carnation. You're good. You're good.

As I mentioned in my acceptance, any country that I listen to intentionally is old. Usually pre-1980. I have always referred to Marty Robbins, Patsy Cline, and Johnny Cash as the Trinity of country music. But I also said that the country that I do listen to has been a deep joy to me since childhood.

The song I choose as my response is a sentimental one for me because it is one that my dad played for me in his tape player in his truck as we would drive around, usually to my grandparents' house. Every time at the beginning of the song, without fail, my dad would say, "Now, I want you to listen to this song. It's important." At the time I kind of blew him off and didn't take him seriously. That is, until I got older and realized that all the while when I thought my dad wasn't the brightest bulb in the box, I came to realize that my dad is a genius. All the lessons he ever tried to teach me, all of the times he tried to teach me to garden, all the times he tried to teach me how to fish, all the times he tried to teach me how to balance a checkbook, or even marriage; after all that time, I have come to realize that my dad is an absolute genius.

This song is a bit prophetic and I think a sad commentary on American society today. It's not the greatest country song ever written. That song would be Big Iron by Marty Robbins. But I think it's still an important song, nevertheless.

It's been a lot of fun having this debate and I would be delighted to do it again some time.

And with that I offer, Are the Good Times Really Over (I Wish a Buck Was Still Silver), by Merle Haggard.

Posted by MoonGod 2 years ago
Hahahahaha sorry man!
Posted by Cygnus 2 years ago
Okay, I just logged in and getting ready to respond. What th...

No fair...UGH...

I Don't Wa...UGH! Such a good song! Soooo good.

Vote Placed by Romanii 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: I'm honestly not that great at judging music, so I can't quite decide whose music was really better. Arguments to Con only because he gave much more thought out and insightful explanations of his choices. Sources obviously to Con as well because he cited much more and many more reliable sources than Pro.
Vote Placed by KingDebater 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Pro had better music but con has more reliable sources.