mongeese
diety

My opponent has just lost The Game within the past ten minutes.

mongeese

Pro

My opponent has recently lost the game.

The Game - http://en.wikipedia.org...(mind_game)

"There are three rules to The Game:
1. Everyone in the world is playing The Game.
2. Whenever one thinks about The Game, one loses.
3. Losses must be announced to at least one person."

Thank you to whoever accepts.

I lost The Game.
diety

Con

:)

What the heck, I'll do this just to poke fun.

You say "just" lost the game.

just via merriam webster - very recently

http://www.merriam-webster.com...[3]

Well, as a matter of fact, for you to win I have to think of the The Game as recently as 10 minutes prior to someone observing this debate. Oh, and if I was thinking of the game before that 10 minutes and stopped, the resolution is false, and I win.

Wait a minute.... How can you even know or prove that I was thinking about the game within the past 10 minutes?

Also, this isn't true as an absolute. The past ten minutes now will be different from the past ten minutes in the future. The resolution may be true at the very instant I post, but it won't necessarily be true lets say a year from now when we forget about this debate. Or even tonight when I go to sleep. Or this week when I take exams. Or what if I were to die? My mind won't be on this 24/7 and even though the resolution may sometimes be true, it's not an absolute statement.

On top of that, you have the burden of proof, and have absolutely no way to empirically prove I was thinking about "The Game" at any given time. Or better yet, EVERY given time.

I've lost the game. But not necessarily within ten minutes prior to someone viewing this debate. You thought you had an easy win, and you would've had you not added the "last ten minutes" part.

The resolution is negated

Thank you

:)

P.S.: Mongeese, please do not copy my smiley face. You know that's how people know me.
mongeese

Pro

'Well, as a matter of fact, for you to win I have to think of the The Game as recently as 10 minutes prior to someone observing this debate. Oh, and if I was thinking of the game before that 10 minutes and stopped, the resolution is false, and I win."
Not really. You just have to have thought of The Game up to ten minutes prior to the start of our debate.

"Wait a minute.... How can you even know or prove that I was thinking about the game within the past 10 minutes?"
Ah-hah. To know that to lose The Game, you had to think about The Game. Therefore, you thought about The Game, through logic.

Think - to have in the mind or call to mind a thought (http://www.merriam-webster.com...)
Obviously, The Game had to be in your mind before it could be typed, because you use your mind to type. Therefore, you were thinking of the The Game right before you typed that statement.

"Also, this isn't true as an absolute..."
Actually, it is. A debate on this site does not officially start until the Contender posts his first argument.
On your profile, 4 minutes after you posted your argument:
"deity is debating mongeese: My opponent has just lost The Game within the past ten minutes. 4 minutes ago"
That was the time when the resolution took effect. Therefore, you had to have lost the game within 10 minutes before then. Which you did.

"[You] have absolutely no way to empirically prove I was thinking about 'The Game' at any given time."
Empirical - originating in or based on observation or experience (http://www.merriam-webster.com...)
I observe that you claimed to have lost The Game. Therefore, you must have thought about The Game to lose The Game, so you thought about The Game. I have proven that you thought about the game based on observation.

"I've lost the game."
My opponent pretty much conceded everything I needed.

"But not necessarily within ten minutes prior to someone viewing this debate."
But it is necessarily within ten minutes prior to you posting your argument at the time in which the debate starts, and the resolution takes effect.

"The resolution is negated"
Nope.

In order for my opponent to post anything about The Game, he would have to think about The Game. When my opponent submitted his argument to start the debate and put the resolution into effect, he thought about The Game. Therefore, he lost The Game during the time specified by the resolution when it went into effect. Therefore, the resolution is affirmed.

":)"
...

"P.S.: Mongeese, please do not copy my smiley face. You know that's how people know me."
But it's apparent that you know me by copying your smiley face...
:(
diety

Con

diety forfeited this round.
mongeese

Pro

All arguments extended.

This was to be the round in which I counter whatever defense my opponent could use to defend his primary argument. The loss of this round is more detrimental to me than to my opponent.

It is quite clear that my opponent lost the game up to ten minutes prior to his posting his argument. Thus, the resolution is affirmed, and I ask that you vote PRO.

And please, no vote bombing.
diety

Con

"Not really. You just have to have thought of The Game up to ten minutes prior to the start of our debate"

Is the past ten minutes always prior to the start of this debate? If I dropped my hat in the past ten minutes, does that necessarily mean that I was referring to the past ten minutes prior to starting this debate? The phrase 'past ten minutes,' is just like 'yesterday' ; they don't mark an absolute point in time. They are always respective with the present time and are always changing. Today's ten minutes ago isn't the same as tommorow's ten minutes ago.

"Ah-hah. To know that to lose The Game, you had to think about The Game. Therefore, you thought about The Game, through logic."

Ok I lost the dang game I'll admit it! Sheesh! But that was (x) minutes ago when I posted.

""Also, this isn't true as an absolute..."
"deity is debating mongeese: My opponent has just lost The Game within the past ten minutes. 4 minutes ago""

Ok, the resolution was affirmed THEN. But 11 minutes after then it was negated. Like I said before, your victory is only temporary. As soon as I post this argument the resolution will be affirmed. However 10+ minutes afterwards it will be negated.

""[You] have absolutely no way to empirically prove I was thinking about 'The Game' at any given time."
Empirical - originating in or based on observation or experience (http://www.merriam-webster.com......)
I observe that you claimed to have lost The Game. Therefore, you must have thought about The Game to lose The Game, so you thought about The Game. I have proven that you thought about the game based on observation."

You didn't include my entire rebuttal.

"On top of that, you have the burden of proof, and have absolutely no way to empirically prove I was thinking about "The Game" at any given time. Or better yet, EVERY given time."

There's no way you could ever know or prove I was thinking about the game at EVERY GIVEN MOMENT.

:)

""I've lost the game."

But it is necessarily within ten minutes prior to you posting your argument at the time in which the debate starts, and the resolution takes effect."

That's not what the resolution says. The resolution is not "my opponent has lost the game within the last ten minutes prior to his post," rather, "my opponent has lost the game within the last ten minutes (period)" The last ten minutes can only be relative to someone viewing this debate. And although the resolution does take effect when the debate starts, and I'll admit the resolution was affirmed then, it's only a matter of time when the resolution will be negated.

""The resolution is negated"
Nope."

It's only a matter of time my friend. You'll win the battle but lose the war.

"In order for my opponent to post anything about The Game, he would have to think about The Game. When my opponent submitted his argument to start the debate and put the resolution into effect, he thought about The Game. Therefore, he lost The Game during the time specified by the resolution when it went into effect. Therefore, the resolution is affirmed."

As I've said before, the specified time isn't absolute. Just because I've lost the game in the past does not make the resolution affirmed, because it has to be within the past ten minutes.

"This was to be the round in which I counter whatever defense my opponent could use to defend his primary argument. The loss of this round is more detrimental to me than to my opponent."

:)

"And please, no vote bombing."

All vote bomb CON!!!

Just kidding. Seriously though, after Sunday May 21st 2009 at 8:26 AM (the sites time), the resolution is negated because ten minutes will have passed.

:)

Please vote CON

Thank you
Posted by mongeese 7 years ago
mongeese
I lost the game.
Posted by ToastOfDestiny 7 years ago
ToastOfDestiny
Goddangit! I just lost the game!
Posted by mongeese 7 years ago
mongeese
For one thing, such a window is not established in the official rules of The Game.

For another, such a window is disagreed upon, and some sources say that it is ten minutes, which is supported by the resolution.

For another, my opponent never brought up such an argument.

Therefore, such a fact cannot be used to determine the winner of this debate.
Posted by JustCallMeTarzan 7 years ago
JustCallMeTarzan
There's a significant problem with the resolution... anyone HEARING someone else say "I lost the game" has a window in which they are immune to losing the game. So Con has a perpetual immune period since Pro's opening round states "I lost the game."
Posted by wjmelements 7 years ago
wjmelements
B/A: PRO/TIED
CONDUCT: PRO (due to forfeit, despite the fact that PRO did a terrible job defining the resolution)SPELLING: PRO ("tommorow's")
ARGUMENTS: TIED (No resoultion)
SOURCES: PRO (used a source that wasn't a definition and had more total sources)
Posted by wjmelements 7 years ago
wjmelements
You should have definted when these ten minutes started. The resolution is too loose to vote upon.
Posted by mongeese 7 years ago
mongeese
I didn't make myself lose. I thought of the game while starting this, so I lost the game. I then announced it.

I lost the game.
Posted by Kefka 7 years ago
Kefka
"...anyone lose, or lose to anyone else...." *
Posted by Kefka 7 years ago
Kefka
And the time in which you can't make anyone lose or lose, is 30 mins, not 10. WHAT SCRUBS!
Posted by Kefka 7 years ago
Kefka
Mongeese "I lost The Game."...you can't make yourself lose, learn how to play lol.
Vote Placed by m93samman 6 years ago
m93samman
mongeesedietyTied
Reasons for voting decision: Balancing self-vote-bomb. Pro lost either way.
Vote Placed by ethopia619 6 years ago
ethopia619
mongeesedietyTied
Vote Placed by Zealotical 6 years ago
Zealotical
mongeesedietyTied
Vote Placed by JBlake 7 years ago
JBlake
mongeesedietyTied
Vote Placed by studentathletechristian8 7 years ago
studentathletechristian8
mongeesedietyTied
Vote Placed by demosthenes12 7 years ago
demosthenes12
mongeesedietyTied
Vote Placed by Justinisthecrazy 7 years ago
Justinisthecrazy
mongeesedietyTied
Vote Placed by JustCallMeTarzan 7 years ago
JustCallMeTarzan
mongeesedietyTied
Vote Placed by mongoose 7 years ago
mongoose
mongeesedietyTied
Vote Placed by wjmelements 7 years ago
wjmelements
mongeesedietyTied