InfraRedEd
Danielle

My opponent is a female who is not ignorant

Con Tied Pro

InfraRedEd

Con

... and who already knew without having to look it up, who said:

"In justice to men, that though to the larger and more trifling part of the sex, imbecility in females is a great enhancement of their personal charms, there is a portion of them too reasonable and too well informed themselves to desire more in woman than ignorance."

I should in all fairness point out that I didn't. I didn't even get the gender right.
Danielle

Pro

Fortunately, I had an english teacher in high school who was very fond of JANE AUSTEN. She reccomended some of her stuff to me, including the novel 'Northanger Abbey' which is where the quote is taken from.

My opponent contends that a female opponent must only be able to cite the author of said quote in order to prove a lack of ignorance. I have done so. And for those heading down the path of proving that Con's opponent is a female, and/or that I did not look up the quote, I challenge those arguments noting that Con cannot prove that I am NOT a female, and furthermore, there is more evidence supposing that I am in fact female as opposed to male (including the possibility of testimonials from those I may know "in real life," the fact that I have been listed and regarded as a female on the site since the inception of my account, etc.). If anyone really chooses the immaturity of a semantics argument on a topic like this. . . kill yourself.

Seriously though, I have countered (or rather answered) my opponen't one contention. Back to Con for now.
InfraRedEd

Con

She's pro border wall. I rest my case.
Danielle

Pro

At least my opponent concedes that I am female...

Other than that, your poor logic is not coming off as witty or clever...

Extend my arguments.
InfraRedEd

Con

If Canada built a wall we couldn't really blame them.

If they were a different color we would build it for them.

But they still would have to learn English.

My opponent may appear to have it all together but sadly she is not where she wants to be.

In the middle of a large city, watching Omigod Sex and the City. I rest my case. These caricatures of women make all the wrong choices. They beg to be doormats. Real feminists do not watch this show.

Everything is civilization. Even sports: Jet ski. City: New York.

My opponent lacks a basic education in math and science and is all right-brained.

My opponent should move to Trenton and shop the thrift stores. It's close enough by train. Just don't ever ever tell a New Yorker you're from Trenton. They just won't understand.

Actually this

http://www.cs.arizona.edu...

is where she wants to be.

Actually her political views are fairly together except for Pro Border Wall. One wonders why she is wasting time on Objectivism.

Here's a good getaway oh too late for this year but a good way to change your mind about the Wall is to go there:

http://www.derechoshumanosaz.net...

but do it next year. This year

http://www.taospeacehouse.org...

These are people who know better than waste their time debating objectivism anyway.

Or debating anything at all for that matter.

A debate is too rigid a format for good communication.

http://www.ceptualinstitute.com...

The answer to the Jane Austen quote was posted in the comments while the debate was still open so no more about Jane Austen please.

And means "and," and anyone who is pro border wall is ignorant.

If they looked and acted like us there would be no problem and that is the issue as I see it of course. Your experience may be different and if so then I would like to hear about it.

It is Canada that should be building a wall.

If they don't learn English pretty soon we may just build it for them.

They are taking our jobs.

Everyone deported should be allowed to take a stupid American with them.

We are sending our economy to Mexico.

http://www.cbsnews.com...

We are building the Wall in Mexico.

http://narcosphere.narconews.com...

It's an ecological disaster.

http://www.tucsonweekly.com...

The well is being built across the sovreign Tohono O'odham and Apache nations without their consent.

Seguro que

would take care of El Muro bien.

Then we could bail out the banks with it too, and Congress as well, and all the police stations and cop memorials.
Danielle

Pro

First, the personal attacks:

I disagree entirely with my opponent's stance on the television show Sex and the City (not that I have to defend it in this joke of a debate, but I will for my own amusement). He posits that "real" feminists do not watch the show. First, prove it. Second, try defining what makes a "real" feminist; the term itself is under intense scrutiny and objection by even the most intelligent and prominent women in the field of Women's/Gender Studies, and other 'feminist' educators and activists.

A traditional concept of feminism defines it as a doctrine that advocates equal rights for women. The show in question depicts primarily four middle-aged women who consider (1) The value of their lives over the value of finding a husband... but for the one that does obsess over finding love, it's okay because love is a value of HERS, and that is a choice that SHE makes for herself - not a choice imposed by society or by her "liberal" friends who may think differently than her in other aspects (2) Not conforming to society's standards regarding relationships (3) The acceptance of women embracing their sexuality and defying age-old societal constraints on the permissibility of openness about sex (4) The advancement of women in the workplace, as they're all very successful (5) Women in the work place who are actually empowered over male subordinates (6) The ability of women to attain such feminist goals while still being able to project femininity not because they have to, but because they are so inclined... etc.

Re: The idea that I lack a "basic education in math and science" and that I'm supposedly all right-brained -- Once again, I maintain that my opponent has the burden of proving these claims. He makes these assertions based on strict observance of my DDO profile, obviously, which I argue is HARDLY a reliable source of true information. For one thing, anybody can write anything they want; my profile states that I am 100 years old. I am not. For another, my opponent's analysis is hardly thorough let alone considerable as legit. And finally, Pro has absolutely zero indication of the extent of my knowledge in either of these areas. Further, even if he did, he would have the burden of proving (1) I am ENTIRELY ignorant in these fields (2) That I am indeed considered right-brained... which really indicates nothing; tests on the matter merely indicate which "side" of your brain is more dominant.

As far as the Trenton joke goes... hardy har har... not clever, my friend. I know all about Jersey/Trenton -- I attend school at Rutgers University: the State University of NJ. I'd much rather consider myself (and rather be) a New Yorker over someone from Trenton or Arizona (sorry - I'm more of a city gal, and not a huge fan of being in Red States)... what does this have to do with anything? My opponent is lining this debate with more useless nonsense. It's a waste of my time and yours (the readers), and is hardly as entertaining as, say, the jokes of users like Brian_Eggleston and the like. Therefore you should probably vote for me based on sheer annoyance alone, but I digress.

Back to the issues: First, I actually didn't read anything in the Comments section of the debate that noted Jane Austen was in fact the author of those quotes. Second, let's suppose for a second that I actually DIDN'T know the answer and that I was ignorant to that tidbit of information. Well, upon reading the answer in the Comments section, I would immediately become UN-ignorant to that claim, still making my opponent's notion false. The resolution states that his opponent would be a female who was ignorant to the author of the quote. Upon accepting the debate and learning of the quote, that would not be the case, making my opponent's logic invalid and thus myself the winner of the debate.

Further still (I'm very bored, admittedly) I acknowledge that my opponent has now demanded that the Con must defend Objectivism and the support of a Border Fence in order to combat the notion that Con (myself) is not ignorant. Since the antonyms of ignorance include knowledge and competence, all I must do is be able to exude a basic knowledge and defense of the concepts in question, and rationalize my ideals regarding those issues at a level those in positions of judgment (voters) deem competent. I surely can. However, I will first argue that a rejection of Objectivism does not automatically = non-ignorance, so first, my opponent must demonstrate how support of these fields actually puts ME in a burden to have to defend them. His previous attempts (if they can be considered as such) are unqualified; all he did was post links to other websites without detailing any of his reasoning.

That said, I'll send this debate back to my inept and unamusing opponent for now.
InfraRedEd

Con

Willa Cather

is way better that any stupid Jane Austen any day.
Danielle

Pro

Extend my arguments.
InfraRedEd

Con

"They are constpated and they want to make you constipated too."
-- Kurt Vonnegut
Danielle

Pro

He was born stupid, and greatly increased his birthright.
- - Samuel Butler
Posted by leet4A1 8 years ago
leet4A1
"Maybe yours will be soon to follow."

I'll bet somebody 50 bucks that this started as "Hopefully yours...", but the author thought it too harsh and changed it. Bet ya.
Posted by Danielle 8 years ago
Danielle
Maybe yours will be soon to follow.
Posted by InfraRedEd 8 years ago
InfraRedEd
Happy Emily Dickinson's deathday.
Posted by InfraRedEd 8 years ago
InfraRedEd
"Nothing can prevent you from learning the truth so much as the belief that you already know it."
-- Jon K. Hart
Posted by InfraRedEd 8 years ago
InfraRedEd
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance. It is the illusion of knowledge."
-- Stephen Hawking
Posted by InfraRedEd 8 years ago
InfraRedEd
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-- Albert Einstein
Posted by InfraRedEd 8 years ago
InfraRedEd
At least it wasn't Jane Austen.
Posted by Logical-Master 8 years ago
Logical-Master
This was a pretty close to debate, but in the end, CON's R5 was pretty powerful, and PRO failed to capitalize on this. It goes without question Samuel Butler is far below the level of Kurt Vonnegut.
Posted by ournamestoolong 8 years ago
ournamestoolong
Well, despite me thinking her arguments are better, you are being ignorant by saying all females are ignorant. There are many females who are not ignorant.

Conduct goes to her because you wasted two rounds on stupid arguments.

You have been proving yourself to be very ignorant.
Posted by InfraRedEd 8 years ago
InfraRedEd
And those obvious reasons being
Vote Placed by Atheistassociate 7 years ago
Atheistassociate
InfraRedEdDanielleTied
Vote Placed by Logical-Master 8 years ago
Logical-Master
InfraRedEdDanielleTied
Vote Placed by pcmbrown 8 years ago
pcmbrown
InfraRedEdDanielleTied
Vote Placed by alto2osu 8 years ago
alto2osu
InfraRedEdDanielleTied
Vote Placed by Ruperttheg 8 years ago
Ruperttheg
InfraRedEdDanielleTied
Vote Placed by Vi_Veri 8 years ago
Vi_Veri
InfraRedEdDanielleTied
Vote Placed by Danielle 8 years ago
Danielle
InfraRedEdDanielleTied