MASTERY
BobTheLibertarian

My opponent picks the topic.

BobTheLibertarian

MASTERY

Pro

Welcome to the debate.
This is a special debate, with special formats as follows.

FORMAT

1st round-Pro Introduce the parameters
Self-explanatory
1st round-Con Provide the possible arguments
Provide ten possible arguments for me to choose from. Do NOT try to define or explain the arguments, as I can interpret the arguments any way I wish. Anything here should only be greetings or topics. I decide which side I wish to be, IGNORE the fact that debate.org says that I'm pro. The debate topics have to be somewhat different, to prevent ten rewording of a single topic. I can change the topic you provide slightly as well for the debate to be a fun experience. At the start of round 2 I will underline and bold the confirmed topic.
2nd round-Pro Argument & selection of topic.
I will provide a confirmed topic here, and supply my arguments as necessary. My side (pro/con) will also be clearly stated here. Please cite all research and arguments. Please provide evidence for all arguments.
2nd round-Con Argument & Rebuttal.
Provide your arguments and rebuttal in this round. Again, please cite research provide evidence for arguments.
3rd round-Pro Argument & Rebuttal.
3rd round-Con Argument & Rebuttal.
4th round-Pro Argument & Rebuttal.
4th round-Con Argument & Rebuttal.
Provide your arguments and rebuttal in this round. Again, please cite research provide evidence for arguments. Pro Conclusion & Rebuttal.
5th round-Con Conclusion & Rebuttal.
Rebut arguments and provide a conclusion in this round. No new arguments.
5th round-Con Conclusion & Rebuttal.

No abusive language please. The topics that con picks should not be abusive. I hope we have a good debate.

Time limit for each argument: 1 day.
Character limit: 5000

BobTheLibertarian

Con

My opponent is taking the poition that I will pick a topic. Therefore I will not do so, thus winning the debate.
MASTERY

Pro

I have clearly pointed out that the debate is a special one. You have NOT supplied me ANY topics to argue about. It is very clear that that you are to provide 10 arguments, and that the heading is a placeholder for the real topic. Besides, I haven't even chose a side:

"2nd round-Pro Argument & selection of topic.
I will provide a confirmed topic here, and supply my arguments as necessary. My side (pro/con) will also be clearly stated here. Please cite all research and arguments. Please provide evidence for all arguments."

I cannot choose a topic since you have not posted any, and thus I cannot choose my side either.
BobTheLibertarian

Con

The topic "My opponent picks the topic” is illogical”

When accepting a debate on debate.org the site will then list the debate parmeters before you confirm the challenge.

The parameters are as followed: Position of topic (pro or con), rounds, voting period, time to argue, argument max, voting comments. In this case it listed that I would take the con position of the topic "My opponent picks the topic". Since the instigator is the one who literally picks th topic it is then impossible for the contender to pick the topic.

There is a predetermined winner If I were to follow your parameters

If we were to follow the parameters you laid out in your first argument than I would automatically win. You have taken the pro position of the topic, but the rules you had laid out in your first argument states that I provide 10 potential topics for you to choose. If you were to choose the topic then I would not get to pick the topic. Since I am your opponent I would automatically win the debate.

I look forward to your response.

MASTERY

Pro

Note: this is NOT an argument, just a discussion to clear things up for future debates.

When accepting a debate on debate.org the site will then list the debate parameters before you confirm the challenge.

The parameters are as followed: Position of topic (pro or con), rounds, voting period, time to argue, argument max, voting comments. In this case it listed that I would take the con position of the topic "My opponent picks the topic". Since the instigator is the one who literally picks the topic it is then impossible for the contender to pick the topic.

I have told you to ignore the fact that debate.org says you're con..

Sorry about the topic / explanation conflict. However, I believe that has not impeded your ability to understand that you provide 10 potential topics.

BobTheLibertarian

Con

BobTheLibertarian forfeited this round.
BobTheLibertarian

Con

BobTheLibertarian forfeited this round.
BobTheLibertarian

Con

BobTheLibertarian forfeited this round.
Posted by The_Scapegoat_bleats 3 years ago
The_Scapegoat_bleats
There's no problem with that, but it shows that "you" refers to your opponent.
And beyond round 2, only your opponent is granted the right to post, by our own rules.
Posted by MASTERY 3 years ago
MASTERY
If I refer myself as I, whats the problem with that?
The_Scapegoat_bleats
It's always: Provide YOUR arguments, while above you clearly referred to yourself as "I".

No mistake possible. You lost this debate.
Posted by MASTERY 3 years ago
MASTERY
Where does it say?
The_Scapegoat_bleats
People, this is IMPORTANT!

Look at the rules by Mastery before voting.
Following his own rules, he was NOT ALLOWED TO POST ANY ARGUMENTS BEYOND ROUND 2, and violating his rules is to be punished with a 7-point-loss!

"Failure to follow the rules and format stated above results in a full 7-point forfeit to the opposing team."
I will provide a confirmed topic here, define the topic and supply my arguments as necessary. My side (pro/con) will also be clearly stated here. Please cite all research and arguments. Please provide evidence for all arguments.
2nd round-Con Argument & Rebuttal.
3rd round-Pro Argument & Rebuttal.
3rd round-Con Argument & Rebuttal.
4th round-Pro Argument & Rebuttal.
4th round-Con Argument & Rebuttal.
5th round-Con Conclusion & Rebuttal.
5th round-Con Conclusion & Rebuttal.
Rebut arguments and provide a conclusion in this round. No new arguments."

Especially ROUND 5 is RESERVED for his opponent alone!

Vote against Mastery.
The_Scapegoat_bleats
No, you are NOT starting a debate.
You are only asking for someone to start a debate, as you do not provide a resolution to debate.

Merriam-Webster's dictionary may clear this up:
de"bate noun \di-G2;bāt, dē-
: a discussion between people in which they express different opinions about something

Full Definition of DEBATE
: a contention by words or arguments: as
a : the formal discussion of a motion before a deliberative body according to the rules of parliamentary procedure
b : a regulated discussion of a proposition between two matched sides

You have not expressed an opinion. You have not made an argument. You have not entered a motion. You have not presented a proposition.
So by none of the definitions above have you started a discussion, you just expressed the intent to engage in one.
Posted by MASTERY 3 years ago
MASTERY
And, yes, I am the person who starts the debate (instigator) and he accepts my debate (contender) so my debate is perfectly fine.
Posted by MASTERY 3 years ago
MASTERY
I could open a debate with a resolution, but I believe that games where con picks the topic and pro can change it (slightly) or take con/pro are fun.
The_Scapegoat_bleats
Why don't you just open a debate WITH A RESOLUTION?
What you're doing - both of you, since BobTheLibertarian now does the same thing in another debate - is just lazy and against the purpose of this site.

"The "Instigator" is the person who initially starts the debate, and the "Contender" is the person whom accepts the challenge to debate."
From the FAQ of this site. So both of you: do something better about your time if you're both bored.
Posted by MASTERY 3 years ago
MASTERY
I'm reading your speech.
Vote Placed by The_Scapegoat_bleats 3 years ago
The_Scapegoat_bleats
MASTERYBobTheLibertarianTied
Reasons for voting decision: RFD in the comments. Mastery broke his own rules and demanded a 7-point-loss himself.
Vote Placed by Relativist 3 years ago
Relativist
MASTERYBobTheLibertarianTied
Reasons for voting decision: I like how Con trolled pro in the beginning. If you have a problem with Pro's rules being unfair, you should say so instead of meddling into irrelevancies. Con should have at least, provided his R2 contention as his R1, but he didn't, opting for the troll method of winning instead.Conduct point to Pro. As the debate ascends furthur, Con insist on using his troll mentality as his main arguments along with the use of semantics. Pro made his rule clear in the beginning which is essentially the main reason why he wins as well. Pro rightfully refutes each of Con's contention with the use of his laid out rules. So arguments to Pro.