jktroll
MrJosh

My opponent will win this debate!

jktroll

Pro

My opponent deserves to win this debate.

I (Pro) must convince the audience that you are better than me and have an a gauranteed win for this debate.

Con must argue that this is not the case and that I should win.

I look forward to an entertaining, productive debate.

First round = acceptance

Second round = main argument

Final round = conclusion/rebuttal
MrJosh

Con

jktroll

Pro

Thanks MrJosh it is a peasure to be debating with you. Firstly MrJosh has a positive 75% win ratio on the site, much better than mine (50%) so already he is more likely to win but anyway.

Con is cool, he's from America (the best country in the world FACT). He's from the famous state of Illinois and in it the famous city of Chicago, one of the many places I want to visit and the setting city for the highly anticipated open-world console game Watch Dogs. I can't wait for that.

He also has a Bachelor's Degree. Congratulations on achieved that qualification all the work will pay off and shows you are capable of a higher level than others. It can vary but is generally considered a high honour. Which is fantastic! Well done Con.

I quote from his profile :
I am a father, a husband, a skeptic, a martial artist, a humanist and many other things.

This goes to show how many good commitments he has but also impressive (martial artist). 'and many other things.' There's more!!
He is a father and is married, this is just an example of how responsible he is and set up his life. I'm sure things are going well for him!

Con includes in his activities:
'Work, school & being a dad'
He has the ability to spend time working hard for his family and spending time with his child(ren). Sounds like a good the kind of description for a good father.

He also has a very interesting collection of reads and some of which are considered highly intellectual books 'A Brief History Of Time' by Stephen Hawking is just one fascinating science novel recommended.

Con has a good choice of music varying from dance to rock. This is not uncommon and also very respected genres in the musical community.

MrJosh appears to be open-minded and likes to ask questions and that's a sign of using intelligence and creativity (being an athiest myself aswell, I respect his thoughts and views)

'Doctor Who, Star Trek, How I Met Your Mother, Big Bang Theory' are known to be some of the very best science fiction and comedies around. I completely agree with these choices especially How I Met Your Mother and the Big Bang Theory.

I can tell MrJosh is interested in Science and this is clearly a very good thing. He's also a family man and martial artist. (two good traits)

To conclude, I think my opponent has won this debate already. Please vote for CON.
MrJosh

Con

I would first like to thank PRO for setting up this debate; I welcome the civil exchange.

Overall Argument

First of all, I would like to point out that when PRO set up this argument, he could not have known that I was going to accept it. Anyone could have accepted it, therefore, his initial claim that, "My opponent will win this debate!" [1] is a claim he could not have known.

Win Ratio

PRO's first real argument is that my win ratio is better than his; this is largely irrelevant. As any investor will tell you, "Past performance is not a guarantee of future results" [2]. How many wins or losses I have may or may not have any bearing on this particular debate.

America

While I thank PRO for his kind remarks about my homeland, I must point out that we aren't all that great over here. We have numerous problems, including a lack of regard for the rest of the world, lots of guns so you can be shot at any moment, and we have a rampant drug problem [3]. Being from the US is not necessarily something one puts on their CV.

Misc. Points

PRO also said some very nice things about me in his arguments, of which I am very appreciative, but those points to not a successful debate make.

PRO

PRO, on the other hand, is far superior to me. First of all, his profile is nearly blank [4]. That he isn't advertising his personal details shows that he has the kind of forward thinking that wins debates.

Also, he spells "honor," "honour." How cool is that?! That alone should be reason enough for anyone to vote for PRO in this debate.

[1] http://www.debate.org...
[2] http://davisadvisors.com...
[3] http://www.thetoptens.com...
[4] http://www.debate.org...

jktroll

Pro

Ok Con, thanks for your response but to begin with:

'First of all, I would like to point out that when PRO set up this argument, he could not have known that I was going to accept it. Anyone could have accepted it, therefore, his initial claim that, "My opponent will win this debate!" [1] is a claim he could not have known.' Yes thanks Con. Con has pointed out that my positive claim was flawed. This is just another reason as to why my opponent has won this debate due to my inaccuracies in my statements and a lack of burden of proof in my initial tital for the debate.
Con stated that because his win ratio is higher than mine, it doesn't gaurantee a success. I did not say this was the primary reason but it contributes overall as to why he has a better chance.

My opponent responded to my point about his country, America. He basicly said that I guess its not as great as we (the rest of the world) see it 'the land of freedom'. While he's right in saying that yes it is not perfect in every way, I would like to remind the audience of Plato's theory on how the world is imperfect. Although religious people may believe otherwise (i.e. god is perfect BS) no offence its only a theory everyone. Okay and some parts may not be great (guns problems) but there are parts of the US which are safe and overall the country is good in my opinion and I wish I lived in California somewhere and not here in London (a sh*t place with the worst prime minister and national debt than any other country). The US isn't that bad you can always get rid of Obama after 4 years if you don't want him. Here the majority of decisions made are those in control who are actually seniors which is complete utter bullsh*t that's why marijuana is illegal in our country, England.

I quote from Con, 'PRO also said some very nice things about me in his arguments, of which I am very appreciative, but those points to not a successful debate make.' Well this is your opinion as it stands either my argument on this behalf was a reasonable contribution or totally relevant means either I persuade the audience to like you or that I've wasted time and made a weakarguement both or which possibilities result in supporting your victory so I don't mind. Afterall I did say you would win at the start.

'PRO, on the other hand, is far superior to me. First of all, his profile is nearly blank' - this does not make me in any way superior or infact less superior than one who does.

'Also, he spells "honor," "honour." How cool is that?! That alone should be reason enough for anyone to vote for PRO in this debate.' - while we all fail to see what's cool about me spelling honour the way it is in my language in my country, it also could not be enough reason at all for me to win the debate after all you deserve it.

Con is modest and trying to defend this by explaining why it's not that so. He can't find any REAL valid reasons as to why I should win whereas we can see why he does so Con is going to win the debate for obvious reasons.

Con is older than me (with age comes wisdom) and also he has learnt alot more than I in those extra years because he's had more education and life experience. Con, a 34 year old is much more likely to be more knowledgable than myself (14 year old).

Con uses number references in his argument. This is far more organised and professional than any of my writing.

Vote Con already, I have shown you why he deserves to win.
MrJosh

Con

I would first like to thank PRO for his arguments. I will address them presently.

I will begin by reiterating and expanding on my first point. The title PRO chose for this debate is, "My opponent will win this debate!" The word will was used to describe the future tense of win. Even now, as the debate is coming to a close, you can scroll up and read the word will. PRO is trying to predict the future.

Now, even if all of the argument PRO has made stand, it is irrelevant; he cannot know the future. If I was the best debater on DDO, and I laid out the most devastating arguments possible, I could still lose the debate. Perhaps we will be vote bombed, or perhaps a single troll voter will vote PRO. Maybe nobody will vote and we will tie.

The claim that titles this debate, "My opponent will win this debate!" carries with it a burden of proof that has not been met. Therefore, voters should have no choice but to vote opposite of that claim; vote PRO.
Vote Placed by funwiththoughts 4 years ago
funwiththoughts
jktrollMrJoshTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con's R2 arguments made little-to-no sense. I don't really care about BOP unless specifically designated.
Vote Placed by Ragnar 4 years ago
Ragnar
jktrollMrJoshTied
Reasons for voting decision: Too much focus on BoP, not enough focus on just making your arguments the best they could be. Con presented a much cleaner argument, with suppieror presentation. He even used pro having not filled out his profile, as a source of strength... Finailly agreeing with the resolution, is a 0point vote area, thus I ended up agreeing with pro, but that doesn't make him win the argument point. Leaving sources tied because there was not enough good ones impacting the debate enough.