Aran55633
Teaparty1

My opponent's win percentage will not increase as a result of this debate.

Teaparty1
Voting Style: Open with Elo Restrictions Point System: 7 Point

Aran55633

Con

If he/she does experience an increase in their win percentage, I technically win. If he/she does not, my opponent technically wins.

So the question is, how will you vote?
Teaparty1

Pro

Your position is that my (Pro) win percentage will go up as a result of this debate. Either Con can win, we can tie, or Pro can win. Assuming there is a 33% chance of each of those, that leaves a 66% chance that Pro's win percentage will not go up. Con has the BOP, right? Con hasn't fulfilled his BOP that my win percentage will go up.
Posted by robertacollier 2 years ago
robertacollier
How will I vote? Against your dumbass for sure.
Posted by Wylted 2 years ago
Wylted
If he were smart enough to make it 2 rounds he could've pointed that out, and greg is not allowed to use the score to decide which way to vote, only the arguments within a debate are to be judged.
Posted by Teaparty1 2 years ago
Teaparty1
Thanks. By the way I realize that the math was wrong, and I know how probability theory works. I guess the BOP thing was taken into account for the voters.

This was a very clever debate resolution. Lastly, congratulations on winning.
Posted by Aran55633 2 years ago
Aran55633
Con turned out to be right. You, TeaParty1, have experienced an increase in your win percentage.

But I don't feel like I should have received more points and "won". This was just an idea that popped into my head, and I wanted to see what would happen.

I am surprised that it didn't end in a a tie, though. That seemed most likely. It was the only outcome which would not have been self-contradictory, and would technically mean that you, as Pro, would have "won" because you would have witnessed either no change or a decrease in your win percentage. (I don't know if ties are taken into account when the site configures the win percentage) The voters either didn't realize that, or felt that because I, as the instigator, had the BoP and couldn't prove my case, I should "lose"... But again, that means that I, as Con, was right; you have experienced an increase in your win percentage, as I "predicted".

Thanks for the debate. I had fun. :)
Posted by Teaparty1 2 years ago
Teaparty1
Greg at the time of your voting Con was right, why didn't you vote Con?
Posted by Aran55633 2 years ago
Aran55633
The idea was to set up a debate where each option was antithetical with itself. If you choose option 1, you are really selecting option 2, and vice versa. I wanted to present this situation to the voters and see what would happen.

There was NO evidence that either of us could give, because you cannot predict who will vote on this and how those individuals will vote.

If you "win", then I will have chosen the correct side in this debate. If you "lose", you will have taken the correct side. That's the point.

And you are still wrong on the math.

Take abiogenesis. (this is just an example, I'm not trying to say that life came into existence through abiogenesis) Whether we are talking about the likelihood of life coming into existence at all, or just at some point over a set amount of time, we lack the ability to determine what the odds are. With there being two possible outcomes, (either living beings will come into existence, or they won't) you cannot simply assert that the real world probability is 50/50. That's not how it works.

The same can be said here. You cannot show that the voters, upon reading this debate, will be equally likely to vote for any of the three options just because you cannot predict how they will vote. That's not how probability theory works.
Posted by Teaparty1 2 years ago
Teaparty1
But the evidence Id have to use to support those numbers would be arguments that would sway people. Considering neither of us gave a real argument I think the 1/3 is pretty accurate.
Posted by Teaparty1 2 years ago
Teaparty1
You're right. Its not evenly split.
Posted by Aran55633 2 years ago
Aran55633
You're suggesting that each possible outcome is equally likely, but you have provided no evidence which should lead anyone to a conclusion which is to that effect.

When the voters read the debate, they will make a decision on how to vote based on that information. They will not make their selection at random. So why would you assume, then, that each is equally likely?
Posted by Teaparty1 2 years ago
Teaparty1
Those numbers seem pretty accurate considering this debate. You don't agree?
Vote Placed by Greg4586 2 years ago
Greg4586
Aran55633Teaparty1Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con should have won, because Pro's arguments were faulty because in a debate you don't have a 1/3 chance to win because a round is not based on a decision at random However, because Wylted already voted on this debate and gave 3 points to Pro I technically have to vote Pro.
Vote Placed by Wylted 2 years ago
Wylted
Aran55633Teaparty1Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro showed the math that there is a 66% chance that his opponent's win percentage won't go up. While con merely pointed out contradictions if pro wins. However debate is not a tool for making predictions. Votes are based strictly on the content of the debate, and con essentially made no worthwhile arguments
Vote Placed by Theunkown 2 years ago
Theunkown
Aran55633Teaparty1Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Brain hurts....Therefore tie....