defqon1punk
Nails

My parents should allow me to buy a cell phone.

defqon1punk

Pro

I would like to debate this LD style. The best of luck to my opponent.

Resolution: My parents should allow me to buy, operate, and pay for a cell phone that is fully functional and receiving connection.

Value: convenience.

Definitions: Cell Phone - a hand-held mobile radiotelephone for use in an area divided into small sections, each with its own short-range transmitter/receiver;
Friends - acquaintances and or peers throughout society that may involve communication through cellular interaction;
Detained - hold in custody: to restrain or keep somebody or something in custody

Contention 1: My mother is always becoming frustrated with me for not telling her where I am going when I am out of the house. This is usually due to going one place but deciding with friends to go to another. A cell phone would create a connection that would be able of resolving this issue.

Subpoint A: Mainly self explanatory, having a cell phone would provide a convenient way to inform parents of location while possibly in a situation where a land phone like may not be provided.

Contention 2: My parents believe that I would text during certain events such as religious gatherings, public school, and family gatherings where they prefer a tranquil and participative environment.

Subpoint A: I would not have any reason to be socially interacting through cellular activities at school because any immediate friends I have at the current moment that have cell phones would also be in class and they almost certainly would not text back. They would have the same risk I would have if I had a cell phone of having it detained until a parent/legal guardian over the age of eighteen would receive it from the authorities that detained it in the first place and possibly revoked privileges by the parent/legal guardian.

Subpoint B: I do not have any desire or reason for bringing a phone to religious gatherings. If there is no cell phone at the gathering then there is no problem in the subject of texting at the gathering.

Contention 3: My parents also believe that excessive texting will occur because of my older siblings reactions prior to receiving a cell phone. I protest this for two reasons: First, I believe that no single person's actions can be predicted from another person's actions no matter their origin, race, genetic inheritance, and/or admiration between the two persons; And second, I do not personally prefer the tenting method of communication.

Subpoint A: I protest that no single person's actions can be predicted from another person's actions no matter their origin, race, genetic inheritance, and/or admiration between the two persons.

Subpoint B: I do not personally prefer the texting method of communication.

Contention 4: My parents, because of siblings' actions, believe that I will get a job for low wage to pay for this phone. They think that working to pay for a phone is wasting my youth and time.

Subpoint A: I already have a job cleaning my fathers office for fifteen dollars an hour which I work at every Saturday for two hours. I receive a check for one hundred and twenty dollars at the end of every month although I periodically receive one hundred and fifty dollars because there is occasionally five Saturdays in a month instead of four. Being too young to have any bills/budget schedules to worry about as a high priority, I have plenty of money I could use to pay for a monthly cell phone bill while still keeping my regular schedule of activities without any alteration of activities having to be shortened.

Subpoint B: While getting a low wage job may be seen as an obstruction to other activities, it can teach responsibility and educate an individual in the subject of financial, economic, and overall often required life experience/knowledge.

This is the end of my case for now until rebuttals. I stand ready for my opponents case and cross examination.
Nails

Con

::Framework::

My opponent offers the value of convenience but,
(1) he gives no reason whatsoever that convenience is valuable at all. Because he wants to debate in an 'LD style' this means you reject his value because any arguments supporting the value of convenience would be new in the rebuttal.
(2) he offers no discernable criterion by which to achieve convenience. As such, he has a very nebulous framework that lacks any clear definition or meaning and simply consists of a broad concept of achieving 'convenience' which he also fails to define.

He also defines 'friends' and 'detained' which is curious to me seeing as these words are not in the resolution and have no clear consequence in the debate.

I offer the alternative standard of respect for parental authority. You prefer this standard:
(1) because it relates directly to the resolution because it deals with the wants of parents vs. the wants of children.
(2) because it is in accordance with societal norms and viewed as proper by society as a whole.
(3) because children are not fully cognitively developed and are less capable of making informed, unbiased decisions.[1]

Even if you do not accept this standard you still vote CON on presumption because PRO does not provide any standard by which to weigh the round, nor does he ever link his arguments (such as texting at church) to convenience, so he hasn't met his burden of proof.

::Contention::

My sole contention is that PRO should respect his parent's decision that he is not yet capable of owning a cell phone.

I am sure that PRO's parents have multiple reasons for disallowing his purchase of a phone. PRO alludes to a few of them:

1. PRO is not sufficiently responsible to own a phone.

He himself writes, "My mother is always becoming frustrated with me for not telling her where I am going when I am out of the house."

This shows a clear lack of responsibility on PRO's part. I do not own a phone either, and might be the only person in my grade who can say that. I, almost on a daily basis, am out of the house and must contact my parents. It is never hard to find a way to communicate and PRO would find, should he ask, that many people are willing to lend him their cellphone for a few minutes. I have never had any trouble in acquiring a cell phone on short notice when I need to contact my parents, and this happens quite often. PRO's habit of failing to communicate his location to his parents shows a lack of responsibility that would lead one to conclude that he shouldn't own a phone, not that he should.

2. PRO's ability to control himself, should he own a phone, is clearly suspect.

He confesses, "My parents believe that I would text during certain events such as religious gatherings, public school, and family gatherings where they prefer a tranquil and participative environment."

I don't know PRO personally, but I am sure his parents know him well enough to draw logical conclusions about him. If they believe that he would text at 'certain events' then I am inclined to believe them. PRO says that there is a disincentive to text in school from potential detention of the device, but I would argue that this is empirically denied. I see people texting on a regular basis. It is quite easy to conceal from teachers and confiscation by authorities is no real threat. Even when caught, many teachers are nice enough that they simply give a stern warning that "they will take it up next time they here it" which they never do. He says he would have no incentive to text because nobody else texts but this, too, is false. Many of my friends text each other back and forth throughout the day. It is a common practice, and I see it happen regularly.

Because PRO's parents believe he is not capable of owning a phone (possibly for reasons outlined above) he should take their advice and not buy a phone.

::Rebuttal::

Contention 1:

I have already covered this issue above. Cellphones are easily accessable to those who do not own them (myself being an example) simply by asking anyone nearby. The fact that PRO currently does not use this easy access to phones makes his claim that "having a cell phone would provide a convenient way to inform parents of location" a bit skeptical. I doubt that he would capitalize on his ability to use his own phone to contact his parents regularly when he clearly doesn't do so without one.

Contention 2:

A. I covered this above. Texting at school is quite prevalent and PRO will most likely fine that once he acquires a phone he will text during school rather frequently.

B. I'm not particularly concerned with PRO's use of a phone at religious gatherings. He has provided a rebuttal to a point that I don't plan to pursue.

Contention 3:

This is not a point for his case. This is, again, a rebuttal to an argument that I'm not making.

Contention 4:

"While getting a low wage job may be seen as an obstruction to other activities, it can teach responsibility and educate an individual in the subject of financial, economic, and overall often required life experience/knowledge."

This benefit is entirely non-unique. PRO will find that not owning a cell phone does not preclude him from having a job. He will, infact, find that should he own a cellphone the profit margin from said job would decrease significantly.

[1] http://www.zerotothree.org...
defqon1punk

Pro

defqon1punk forfeited this round.
Nails

Con

Such a shame
defqon1punk

Pro

defqon1punk forfeited this round.
Posted by bigtree 7 years ago
bigtree
Nice. Good luck in trying to convince your parents. Will they let you buy your own from your own money? If so, then do it. If not, then try to show them ow responsible you are, and if that doesn;t work, try to get into situations where your parents wish you had a cell phone as much as you can. Tell your parents that kids make fun of you for not having one, too. It'll make them feel guilty. That's how I got my phone :) ...
Posted by Nails 7 years ago
Nails
I was thinking that his plan might be something along those lines. Beat me in a debate, then show his parents.

If this is your intention, I'll be happy to vote for you in all categories at the end of this debate long enough for you to get a screen shot of winning to show your parents.
Posted by Rockylightning 7 years ago
Rockylightning
you shouldve gone against the motion then let nails beat you... then showed this debate to your mom, and bingo! you've got a cell phone!
Posted by Nails 7 years ago
Nails
I will accept tomorrow and hopefully have arguments up the same day.
Posted by defqon1punk 7 years ago
defqon1punk
sorry to be a total noob face but i am new to all of this and i have no idea how to do anything.
Posted by defqon1punk 7 years ago
defqon1punk
done.
Posted by Nails 7 years ago
Nails
I'll accept with 2 or 3 rounds. How do you spend 5 rounds discussing cellphones?
Posted by defqon1punk 7 years ago
defqon1punk
yeah i like my dad but the most my mom can ever come up with for a reason is either "because i said so" or "just cause"
Posted by wjmelements 7 years ago
wjmelements
Your mom is a tyrant.
Posted by defqon1punk 7 years ago
defqon1punk
well this is the first debate i have done and as far as i could tell it meant a maximum of five rounds.
Vote Placed by dpflames786 7 years ago
dpflames786
defqon1punkNailsTied
Vote Placed by Nails 7 years ago
Nails
defqon1punkNailsTied