Riversidegirl4life
Connor666

Mythology should be taught in schools.

Riversidegirl4life

Pro

Learning about mythology in schools is becoming increasing popular all over the world, but many consider it to be unnecessary; a waste of time. Personally I do not believe that mythology is useless, as it really gives us an insight into cultures from many different nations. A lot of the stories they tell, clothes they wear, and manners by which they live their lives are greatly influenced by mythology.
Mythology not only gives us an insight into general culture, but art, theatre and music as well. Mythology is deeply embedded in thousands of different cultures, and I believe that not learning about it in schools would be a definite loss.
Connor666

Con

I assume you talk about teachings in public schools? Really why teach kids things irrelevant to the life they are living. better teaching them about something that actually matters. You think it gives insight to different cultures? There are plenty of other things to tell you about different countries(example: learning about the ACTUAL country itself). Its a waste of time that could be spent on teaching kids something that actually matters( math, social studies, science, language). Mythology is a waste of time as is learning about religion.
Riversidegirl4life

Pro

Thank you for your input. I would just like to rebut your point on the fact that mythology is "irrelevant to the life they are living". So many things we live and and see everyday are because of mythology. For example, the Amazon river is named after a race of warrior women, and anyone studying geography is often required to know why places, rivers or mountains got their names.
On a social level, not knowing how certain things such as the Olympics, Nike, all the planets, the stars and even the continents all got their names will undoubtably make you seem ignorant.
As you can see, mythology is around us everyday, even when you may not even realise it. Valentine's day is coming up, and a character from Roman mythology is sure to be hanging in the windows of shops and on greeting cards!
Connor666

Con

Connor666 forfeited this round.
Riversidegirl4life

Pro

Thank you Connor for your arguments during this debate
Connor666

Con

Connor666 forfeited this round.
Posted by kyro90 5 years ago
kyro90
I wish they would teach this in school lol. I would definitly like school better...
Posted by KJohnson 5 years ago
KJohnson
Why not teach Mythology in school? It's not like its a religion. We teach our children several ways that the Earth may or may not have been created so whats wrong with teaching out kids another theory on life? Who is it really hurting? If nothing else its fun reading for the kids.
Posted by RyKo 5 years ago
RyKo
@Riverside I'm with you on this, just start using sources (like when you talk about the amazon river being named after the warrior women) and you'll smoke this one hands down
Posted by Wigglz 5 years ago
Wigglz
Mythology is one my favorite subjects and it would be awesome if they taught that at my school, it provides insight and different perceptions
Posted by DevonNetzley 5 years ago
DevonNetzley
Love it, I completly agree with allowing it be taught in school. ^.=.^
Posted by Connor666 5 years ago
Connor666
Waste of time...
Posted by Neonix 5 years ago
Neonix
Agreed. Anthropology is a valid social science. Mythology shows insight into subjective politics, mindset, morality etc. It's good stuff.
Posted by Maikuru 5 years ago
Maikuru
High school? College?
Posted by imabench 5 years ago
imabench
It warms my heart to finally see someone arguing FOR subjects like mythology to be taught in schools *likes the debate*
Posted by Fluer 5 years ago
Fluer
Just to point out to you that from your opening you seem to be for mythology in schools but your position in the debate is that you are con