dman1111
TPF

NATO presence improves the lives of Afghan citizens.

TPF

dman1111

Con

This is a public forum debate for the month of October, the first tournament is in one week, I am new to this cite and desperately need practice and I have decided this is the way to get it. I absolutely think that NATO is a bad influence in Afghanistan and should be moved out of the country ASAP.
TPF

Pro

I thank my opponent for creating this interesting debate and look forward to it.
dman1111

Con

I strongly Disagree that NATO (North Atlantic Treaty Organization) is improving lives of Afghan citizens. Lets begin by defining NATO. NATO is an organization that was created to defend the countries in the alliance that started with the North Atlantic Treaty. The 23 countries in NATO mainly exist in North America and Europe. They were originally only allowed to attack if a member country was in need of military assistance. Now partnered with ISAF (International Security Assistance Force), they were able to step in to help neighboring countries in need. The country in need for this controversy is Afghanistan. The Afghan Government is not in control of their country the way it should be. Rich and wealthy people are in power along with malicious warlords. Paired with Taliban and Al Queida terrorizing citizens with suicide bombers and missile attacks. This is why NATO is trying to reform the Afghan government.

My first contention states that NATO troops are harming Afghan citizens with missiles, bombs and rockets. According to global news, Afghan President Karzai stated that on July 26th, 2010 NATO launched a missile that hit a small village in southern Afghanistan. There were 52 civilian fatalities reported. NATO denied that the accusation was true but, an investigation arranged by the National Directorate of Security found proof of NATO's lies. This proves that NATO is threatening innocent lives in Afghanistan. The troops that should be aiming specifically for Taliban and Al Queida forces are actually attacking the citizens who trust NATO to defend them.

My next contention states that the reforming government supports the warlords and wealthy people who were in power before. According to CBS news, the government that is currently being reformed by NATO is actually just becoming a more powerful version of what it once was. Afghanistan President Hamid Karzai has agreed to let "reformed" Taliban leaders into Afghanistan government. He is satisfied with letting a man with enemy connections into every single action they take to rid the country of the still powerful Taliban forces. Also he has been known for making deals with powerful warlords, and ignoring drug trade throughout Afghanistan. President Karzai has even threatened to join Taliban if NATO didn't stop pressuring his cabinet. The leader of this new government is just as bad as the Taliban government terrorizing Afghanistan before 2001.

My last contention states that the treatment of women in Afghanistan hasn't changed since NATO's influence on Afghan government. NATO informs that advances in women's rights are occurring. This is a lie, The Centre for Research of Globalization states that the current Afghan congress has re-enacted the same laws against women's rights as the previous Taliban government. According to RAWA over 100 women in the southern province of Kandahar have tried or succeeded in committing suicide by setting fire to themselves or consuming poison. They do this to save themselves from the molestation and abuse that is inflicted by the men around them. To these men this intolerable act of discrimination isn't frowned upon, it is viewed as ok by their lawmakers. The same lawmakers that NATO supports. The progress in Afghanistan to liberate women from discrimination by men has yet to begin since the fall of Taliban.

With NATO attacking innocent citizens instead of Al Queida or Taliban forces, supporting a leader who is letting enemy leaders join his cabinet, and ignoring the fact that courageous women are being raped and beaten to the point where they would rather die then be put through the misery day after day, I ask you is NATO presence really improving the lives of Afghan citizens?
TPF

Pro

I will first address my opponents arguments before moving onto my own.

"They were originally only allowed to attack if a member country was in need of military assistance. Now partnered with ISAF (International Security Assistance Force), they were able to step in to help neighboring countries in need. The country in need for this controversy is Afghanistan"

The NATO treaty allowed members to provide for their common defense. America was attacked on 9/11 by operatives from a terrorist group operating from Afghanistan. NATO agreed this was an attack and Article 5 was activated.[1]

"The Afghan Government is not in control of their country the way it should be. Rich and wealthy people are in power along with malicious warlords"

There is nothing wrong with wealthy people being in a government.

Regarding your first contention, this is war and mistakes happen. America and NATO do everything in their power to minimize civilian casualties by having a strict ROE. [2] Despite these tragedies, NATO presence and security is overall good for the country.

"My next contention states that the reforming government supports the warlords and wealthy people who were in power before. According to CBS news, the government that is currently being reformed by NATO is actually just becoming a more powerful version of what it once was. Afghanistan President Hamid Karzai has agreed to let "reformed" Taliban leaders into Afghanistan government. He is satisfied with letting a man with enemy connections into every single action they take to rid the country of the still powerful Taliban forces. Also he has been known for making deals with powerful warlords, and ignoring drug trade throughout Afghanistan. President Karzai has even threatened to join Taliban if NATO didn't stop pressuring his cabinet. The leader of this new government is just as bad as the Taliban government terrorizing Afghanistan before 2001."

The Taliban is a loose term for different groups of fighters fighting against the NATO presence. They severed their ties with Al-Qaeda already. [3] They do not always share the same values as Al-Qaeda. If these people can be persuaded to put down their arms and join the democratically elected government, it is to the benefit of the Afghan people and their leadership.

"My last contention states that the treatment of women in Afghanistan hasn't changed since NATO's influence on Afghan government. NATO informs that advances in women's rights are occurring. This is a lie, The Centre for Research of Globalization states that the current Afghan congress has re-enacted the same laws against women's rights as the previous Taliban government. According to RAWA over 100 women in the southern province of Kandahar have tried or succeeded in committing suicide by setting fire to themselves or consuming poison. They do this to save themselves from the molestation and abuse that is inflicted by the men around them. To these men this intolerable act of discrimination isn't frowned upon, it is viewed as ok by their lawmakers. The same lawmakers that NATO supports. The progress in Afghanistan to liberate women from discrimination by men has yet to begin since the fall of Taliban."

The Taliban purposely target women and civilians in order to terrorize them into submission and use it as a tactic in the war. This is unfortunate, but proves that NATO is doing the right thing in securing Afghanistan for a democratic future with civil rights for all. NATO cannot let terrorism win by giving up based on these tyrannical and viciously evil and violent acts.

I will now introduce some of my own arguments.

Firstly, the majority of Afghan people oppose the Taliban and support US/NATO forces in the country. [4] Abandoning the country and region now would embolden the terrorists and betray the citizen who want NATO forces to stay and help secure the nation.

Secondly, the NATO presence is beneficial to the Afghan economy. Recently an estimated $1 trillion of mineral resources was found in Afghanistan.[5] Afghanistan's GDP has dramatically risen over the last years of NATO presence. [6] The new schools and infrastructure that are being built with the help of NATO forces will help Afghanistan grow for years to come.

Finally, the strong NATO presence helps to build a strong central government for Afghanistan that will help to the end the decades of warlord warfare that has dominated the region and provide for a just, democratic government.

SOURCES:

[1]http://www.time.com...
[2]http://www.nato.int...
[3]http://edition.cnn.com...
[4]http://news.bbc.co.uk...
[5]http://www.nytimes.com...
[6]http://www.google.com...
dman1111

Con

dman1111 forfeited this round.
TPF

Pro

Unfortunately my opponent forfeited. I hope all is well with my opponent.

My arguments stand.
dman1111

Con

dman1111 forfeited this round.
TPF

Pro

My arguments stand.
dman1111

Con

dman1111 forfeited this round.
TPF

Pro

Unfortunately my opponent forfeited.

Vote PRO.
Posted by dman1111 7 years ago
dman1111
I'm sorry TPF gotta put this next section off until tommorow. Tons of other homework to do tonight! I will have it done before the deadline though.
Posted by dman1111 7 years ago
dman1111
I will do so next time. thanks for the advice! I'm new to this cite and debate all tgether so im just geting the hang of all of this.
Posted by KCtalent2012 7 years ago
KCtalent2012
Con you should post your sources after each round. Helps the audience and opponent follow the validity of your arguments. Also helps hold you accountable for the claims you make.
Vote Placed by I-am-a-panda 7 years ago
I-am-a-panda
dman1111TPFTied
Vote Placed by J.Kenyon 7 years ago
J.Kenyon
dman1111TPFTied
Vote Placed by TPF 7 years ago
TPF
dman1111TPFTied