nathantegar
whitesoxman77

NBA Lockout

Started: 11/10/2011 Category: Sports

nathantegar

Con

Have you ever wanted $300 million? At what cost? I was sitting on my couch, watching ESPN on Thursday, June 31st when David Stern, the commissioner of the NBA (National Basketball Association), announced that the NBA will lock out its players, effective at 12:01 ET on Friday, July 1st. As I was watching I learned that the NBA league "claims" that they are losing $300 million a year so they want to cut the players' salary by 40%. The National Basketball Players Association filed a complaint with the National Labor Relation Board accusing the league of negotiating in "bad faith" (they have no intention to lose anything, they are only looking to earn something.) So the team owners locked out the players from their buildings so players cannot use the gyms to work on their game or use the weight room, so they can't lift weights or ultimately play any games. By now your probably wondering what this has to do with me. I feel like the greed of owners and players is costing me the pleasure of watching, learning and growing.

The first thing I felt after I was done watching the announcement was anger, disappointment and frustration. The lockout is effecting me as a fan and a player. If there is no season, that would effect me because I watch every game and look closely at the players to learn from their mistakes and how they get to be so good. I watch specific moves and practice them to improve my game. My dream to play in college and beyond motivates me to get good grades, to be healthy, to work out and to behave. Lastly, I just love to watch the game of basketball and the fact that the players and owners who make millions of dollars a year can't be content with the money they have makes me want to poop in their yard.

Usually the NBA season starts around October 31st, so there is now about a month until the the NBA season begins. Since players and owner have failed to make any progress in negotiations Commissioner Davis Stern has cancelled the first two weeks of preseason training camps and games. So many players are signing contracts with foreign teams overseas it appears there will probably not be a season. Examples are Virtus Bolonga has announced that the team is speaking with the agent of Kobe Bryant to bring back the superstar to Italy should the lockout continue. Rudy Fernandez, the long time Portland Trail Blazer, has signed in Spain to play for Real Madrid in upcoming season after being traded to the Dallas Mavericks on the night of the NBA Draft. Kyle Singler, who was the third pick in the second round of the NBA Draft by the Detroit Pistons, has signed a deal with Lucentum Alicante in Spain, according to the team's twitter feed. Kevin Durant is in negotiations with Besiktas the Turkish team that recently signed Net's guard Deron Williams. Again,what does this have to do with me? These guys are the best of the best and they are all going away so I can't watch them play. Kobe Bryant, arguably the best player currently playing in the NBA is gone so I can't watch him play and learn from him. Kevin Durant, My absolute favorite player who I watch religiously, I can't watch because he will be gone. If they can't find a resolution what is going to keep the players from staying overseas to play when their contracts are up if owners cut their salaries 40%.

In conclusion the owners and players need to come to some resolution because I am losing the opportunity to watch the players play and learn from them. I wonder if they are even thinking about the fans or are they only focused on themselves and the money? Until they make a decision I just have to wait and hope and replace the time that I watch the NBA with inferior things like you tube clips, college games or I can pay extra to watch old classic games on ESPN.
whitesoxman77

Pro

As a sports fan I must start with this. The NBA lockout is a terrible thing for the sport in America, and will most definitely have a lasting affect on the teams and their fans. Now with that out of the way I will get to my points.
Contention I: The lockout is bad for American basketball, but with players leaving to go play on teams in Turkey, Spain, and China, basketball will be a more popular sport worldwide, and basketball players in other countries will have the same opportunity you have taken for granted here.
I would rather have my sport shared worldwide, so other people could enjoy it rather than keep it to myself. This globalization of basketball due to the lockout could spark new world basketball events like national all-star tourneys, or maybe mixing of leagues. Maybe one day we will the Chicago Bulls matchup against Beksitas for the World Championship. Who knows?
Contention II: Globalization of Basketball due to the lockout will improve the amount of talent eventually being filtered into the NBA when they resume.
Look at baseball for example, one of the most popular sports in the world. Baseball has players playing in the majors from Taiwan, Japan, and China; to the Domincan Republic, Cuba, and Mexico; even to the land down under, Australia.
Basketball has already shown it's potential for producing top international talent with players like Yi Jianlian, Ricky Rubbio, Dirk Nowitzski (I cant spell), and Yao, but wouldn't it be awesome to see more European, Asian, and Latinos filter into the league? That is what this lockout will promote.
Contention III: Hockey Ehnyone?
With the absence of the popular NBA, the NHL will finally rebound from its 2005 lockout. As a hockey player I have to throw this argument in here. Hockey is one of the most difficult sports out there, first you have to learn how to skate, then you have to learn how to shoot, then stick handle, then learn strategy. Did I mention they fight, and hit? It's a very exciting game and it has been overshadowed by the NBA for a long time. Maybe with this lockout hockey will comeback to sports relevance, and sport in general will improve in the United States

To sum it all up, the lockout is good for sports because it will promote the NBA brand and players in different countries, and in response to this promotion more people in those countries will start to play basketball therefore widening the field of talent making competition more stiff, and making the NBA talent wise still tops in the world. With the lockout of the NBA, the NHL will resurge and there will once again be an appreciation for that sport which improves sports as a whole in the US.

I hope you can at least understand my points, again I am sorry for your loss, a lockout is something no fan should go through.
nathantegar

Con

nathantegar forfeited this round.
whitesoxman77

Pro

...the lockout is still good for basketball...that is all
nathantegar

Con

nathantegar forfeited this round.
whitesoxman77

Pro

I win! :)))