Nigel
twsurber

NCFL Nationals PF topic

twsurber

Nigel

Con

I'll skip this first round to post the topic, and then we'll follow the schedule as follows:
Round 1: Con: Skip
Pro: Constructive
Round 2: Con: Constructive
Pro: Rebuttal
Round 3: Con: Rebuttal
Pro: Summary
Round 4: Con: Summary
Pro: Final Focus
Round 5: Con: Final Focus
Pro: Skip

The topic is that of the NCFL Nationals for Public Forum:
"Resolved: That the constitutional right of freedom of religion has wrongly evolved into freedom from religion."
twsurber

Pro

STATEMENT OF RESOLUTION: "Resolved: That the constitutional right of freedom of religion has wrongly evolved into freedom from religion."

PRO CONSTRUCTIVE:
The 1st Amendment of the Constitution reads: "Congress shall make no law regarding an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof..."

It is true that there have been no further amendments to change this freedom that is guaranteed to us. However; norms in society have dictated a change in what is morally and socially acceptable. For this reason, I affirm the resolution as stated.

SOLE CONTENTION: Constitutional amendments are not necessary in every situation to effect a change.
Many things that were considered taboo "back in the day" are now openly and socially acceptable. In his farewell speech, George Washington warned against enabling special interest groups from becoming too powerful. This, among other warnings, were sadly and largely ignored by subsequent leaders. Special interest organizations such as the ACLU, Gay Rights Movement, and many more have not only opened pandora's box to making eveything socially acceptable, but also to closing the door on the Bible. Look what a wreck our morals have become! Adultery and fornication are available 24-7. Alcohol and drug use/abuse are rampant. Crimes of all types occur hourly throughout our nation. Above all, the one "check" we had, the Bible, is no longer held in prominence by a large sector of America.

Many debaters argue that the Bible is nothing more than circular reasoning. People value the unsubstantiated opinions of dead philosophers more highly than that of Solomon, the wisest human being who ever lived, and Jesus, the omnisicient. Educators are leaning to the left now more than ever, and pushing this mindset to their students.

Satan makes sin seem like "fun". Everyone has strongholds. Whether it be gambling, sex, legal or illegal substances, physical abuses, or whatever, everyone is susceptible to sin. Perhaps what Lincoln referred to as the better angels of our nature are pushed beyond their limitation to resist. In the Bible, we read that we are not tempted by God, but by the our individual lusts. We are told to resist the devil and he will flee from us. Unfortuanetly, most simply fall right back into the trap set for us by Satan to indulge in our stronghold. By pushing the Bible away, we have in effect, become brainwashed against the Bible.

Due to court rulings, many public school districts have either disallowed the Bible in school, or at least allowed equal time for other ideaologies. This also opens the door for Satan. What we have done is kicked Jesus out of school, and rolled out the red carpet for Satan.

In closing, yes, the Constitution still allows religion. However, the continuous moral decay of our society shuns believers in something equal to a role reversal. Nowadays, society would have believers go to their church, do whatever it is they do, and leave us alone. Sharing the message fo the Gospel is now very frowned upon. People would rather Christians use the Masonic Lodge approach to witnessing, "To be one, ask one". This is likely part of a fulfilment of prophecy regardign the great falling away.

I thank my opoonent and wish him/ her the best of luck in this debate and in Omaha at the NCFLs!
Nigel

Con

Nigel forfeited this round.
twsurber

Pro

My opponent has dropped his opening round and may not introduce any new evidence.

My opponent has not given me anything to oppose.

My opponent has dropped all of my arguments thereby concurring.

I request your support in a PRO ballot. Thanks!
Nigel

Con

Nigel forfeited this round.
twsurber

Pro

Still nothing to rebutt or defend. Vote PRO. Thanks!
Nigel

Con

Nigel forfeited this round.
twsurber

Pro

Opponent continues to forfeit rounds, please vote PRO.
Nigel

Con

Nigel forfeited this round.
twsurber

Pro

No evidence was produced to support the CON, please vote PRO. Thanks :o)
Posted by twsurber 6 years ago
twsurber
National start tomorrow night, are you in Omaha yet?
Posted by Nigel 7 years ago
Nigel
lol I know it is... I'll be ready ==|:P
Posted by twsurber 7 years ago
twsurber
Nigel, you do realize that NCFL is in about 10 days? You havent started building your case yet? LOL Your partner and coach will kill you! :o)
Posted by Nigel 7 years ago
Nigel
well I'm trying to get as close as I can to actual rounds given the constraints of the internet so that I can start working on an actual case for nationals so this is a bit formal I guess.
Posted by sherlockmethod 7 years ago
sherlockmethod
Nice topic, but I do not gather all the formalities so I can't take this one. I need to understand these debate outlines better so I can take these.
Vote Placed by twsurber 6 years ago
twsurber
NigeltwsurberTied