brady1248
Cody_Franklin

NFL Preseason Football.

Con Tied Pro
Started: 8/29/2009 Category: Sports

brady1248

Con

On the radio some guy was declaring that if you love football, you have to be excited about preseason games. Why? If you love movies, do you have to watch footage of the actors' stand-ins holding their marks while somebody meters the light? Or listen in while the writers talk about how to revise the third draft of the script?
By the second half the guys who are going to make any difference in NFL games this year were already gone. Is it really so tough to wait and see what actually happens, when things count? The Arizona Cardinals went to the Super Bowl last year and nearly won it. Who had that one in the preseason?
Cody_Franklin

Pro

Seeing as my opponent hasn't really set up a resolution, per se, I will just take this as a discussion of NFL Pre-season Football in general (and yes, that's obviously the National Football League); therefore, for the purposes of this discussion, I will be promoting the continuation of Pre-season football.

1. Pre-season football is beneficial to the players.

Football is essentially a cycle: You have the pre-season, the regular season, the off-season, and then the cycle repeats itself. During the off-season, players work on strength training, cardiovascular exercise, building endurance, and a good all-around physical foundation; once the players are in good physical condition, the pre-seasn begins, which is focused more on preparing for the game than maintaining peak physical fitness (though this doesn't lack in pre-season training); the players aren't just training physically, they're training specifically to play the game: in a nutshell, the pre-season has players doing specific exercises that prepare players for the quick movements that they will have to master to play well on the field; additionally, pre-season exercises are designed more to target specific body parts, instead of being a general workout; for the players, this delivers a very refined workout, which allows coaches and trainers to pinpoint the exact needs of each player, and of each position on the team, allowing for more specialized types of workouts for the different players, ensuring that every person on the team learns to rely on the skills of the others, which improves not only teamwork out on the field, but ensures the team's solidarity in the locker room; all of these benefits ensure happy players, and an effective team once the regular season begins. [http://us.commercial.lifefitness.com...]

2. Pre-season football is beneficial to the collective team.

Though physical exercise does benefit the team, the hard workout sessions mean little if they are not properly applied; that is, the team needs to practice, and that is one of the central purposes of pre-season games. Like any other sport or activity, such as soccer, or baseball, or cheerleading, or acting, or even debate, one can only maintain a great deal of skill if one practices the activity on a regular basis [http://www.speakforsuccess.net...][http://staceyshipman.com...]; as Aristotle so wisely said, "We learn by doing." Though the players train physically during the off-season, there are not a great deal of productive off-season football games; this is where the pre-season comes in. Though there are a few games held in the off-season, there are a far greater number played in the pre-season, ensuring that the players not only stay in top physical condition, but primarily that teams are not rusty when they reenter the regular season; as I've said, practice is extremely important to maintain one's skills in an activity, especially one as competitive, and as grueling, as professional football. These pre-season games do several things for teams: they expose the team to other competing teams, giving them a taste of things to come, and motivating teams to work harder in order to win; they expose teams to the new players or new strategies that other teams may have picked up, better preparing them for games in the regular season; finally, and most importantly, it ensures that the team not only learns to get along, but also plays well together; obviously, a team that cannot cooperate is a team that cannot play.

We can conclude that pre-season football has its advantages and benefits, such as improving physical fitness, the relationship among team members, and the quality of regular-season games, among other things; clearly, pre-season football is a blessing to have for fans of the sport.

On the case of my opponent...

1. "Some guy said..."

a. I'm really not here to argue about what 'some guy' said; if you can provide me a name, and perhaps a bit of context, your argument here would be a bit clearer.

b. Although the man did say "You have to be excited about pre-season games," it's not as if he was binding us all in some moral obligation to enjoy pre-season games; obviously, this man was merely attempting to get fans interested in the pre-season by hyping it up, in the same way that billboards, TV, and the radio will advertise for companies, upcoming movies, restaurants, insurance, and even sexual resorts! (I happened to see an ad one day on the television advertising a 'getaway' at which, for a large amount of money, you could have any and all of your sexual desires and fantasies fulfilled.....) My tangent there aside, it's only good advertising to try and get fans hyped up over pre-season games to try and bring in more spectators, and ultimately more revenue, for the NFL.

2. "Wait and see"

a. I'm not entirely sure what your argument is here; as I've shown in my initial arguments, pre-season football is very beneficial to the individual players, to the teams, and therefore to the quality of regular season games; so, though the regular season is what 'counts', the pre-season is what prepares players for that; after all, they have to practice, otherwise they would be rusty; and they wouldn't want to disappoint their coaches - or worse - their fans.

c. Despite your short analysis on the situation involving the Cardinals, I don't understand what you mean by "Who had that one in the preseason?"; this isn't exactly an argument. If you could, please clarify this for me in Round 2.

So, like a cookie, that's how my opponent's case crumbles. :) I think I'll turn it over to Con.
brady1248

Con

brady1248 forfeited this round.
Cody_Franklin

Pro

Alright, my opponent has forfeited; you should give the conduct point to pro, but please give my opponent every opportunity to argue in Round 3; I know I will.
brady1248

Con

brady1248 forfeited this round.
Cody_Franklin

Pro

Okay; well, it seems that my opponent has again forfeited; ergo, extend Round 1 arguments, and all 7 points Con.
Posted by Cody_Franklin 7 years ago
Cody_Franklin
Conduct: Pro - Con forfeited.
S/G: Pro
Arguments: Pro - Pro's arguments were the only ones standing.
Sources: Pro
Posted by Cody_Franklin 7 years ago
Cody_Franklin
All 7 points Pro*

In most debates, I'm usually Con. Sorry about that.
Posted by Cody_Franklin 7 years ago
Cody_Franklin
I had to clarify :) I am, after all, part of the National Forensic League (as I'm sure many are on this site); just had to clarify ;)
Posted by comoncents 7 years ago
comoncents
"(and yes, that's obviously the National Football League)"

thats funny
Vote Placed by kalyse020908 7 years ago
kalyse020908
brady1248Cody_FranklinTied
Vote Placed by Nails 7 years ago
Nails
brady1248Cody_FranklinTied
Vote Placed by CrusaderDebater 7 years ago
CrusaderDebater
brady1248Cody_FranklinTied
Vote Placed by Danielle 7 years ago
Danielle
brady1248Cody_FranklinTied
Vote Placed by comoncents 7 years ago
comoncents
brady1248Cody_FranklinTied
Vote Placed by patsox834 7 years ago
patsox834
brady1248Cody_FranklinTied
Vote Placed by Cody_Franklin 7 years ago
Cody_Franklin
brady1248Cody_FranklinTied