Greener49
BoggyB

NHL Hockey is a harder sport then American Football

BoggyB
Started: 12/15/2014 Category: Sports

Greener49

Pro

Good luck to the person that accepts, first round acceptance.
BoggyB

Con

When you say "harder," it is interpreted as "more difficult." Even then you have not specified what aspect about the sport is "more difficult." I believe a commenter has summed it up well. There are three points to consider. Physical standpoint, mental standpoint, and how difficult it is to play the sport well and succeed.
Greener49

Pro

I agree two those term's, I would like to start with the physical aspect you probably think it would go to Football but if you think about it not really. Number one you are skating which uses up more energy then running. Second body checking which is pretty physically demanding, you could say is not as hard getting tackled. But with the fights , slashing , illegal checking , ect... about one of these thing's happen during a game and some times all of them. So really it's about as bad as getting tackled. The last thing is the player's in Hockey spend a longer time on the ice none stop playing, when a Football play is about 4 seconds.
BoggyB

Con

BoggyB forfeited this round.
Greener49

Pro

Here is how hockey is mentally challenging, first of all hand to eye coordination , knowing were to pass to plus a lot of criticism. Also when you get checked , slashed ,ect in hockey you not only need physical strength you need mental strength. Finally you need mental strength to keep playing well, even if your team is losing badly.
BoggyB

Con

Again I apologize for failing to submit my second round argument. Here is my original, unaltered text I failed to submit:
First point you made was that 1. Skating Expends more energy than running. Second 2. Body Checking. 3. Fights/slashing/checking. 4. More time spent actually participating in and playing the sport. It may seem as though skating uses more energy than running, but there are several aspects to inspect. Skating doesn't necessarily expend/use more energy than running. When you skate you are sliding in slippery ice with little friction allowing them race around the way they do. They may have to change directions frequently, but I comes down to how hard that individual is pushing himself not the skating. Second you mentioned was body checking. Body checking is indeed rough, but taking hits and tackling in football is also rough. In hockey, players cannot out as much behind their hits. Since they are on skates they cannot get the leverage that football players get. NFL players can dig their cleats in the turf and get their center of mass much lower, giving them leverage against the player they are attempting hit/tackle. Also, the average weight of a NHl player in 2013 was around 204 lbs. [1]. The average weight of an Nfl team was in between 240-250 lbs, making the player average about 245.[2] We all know, thanks to physics that more mass equals more power. Mass x Acceleration = Force. The more weight plus more leverage equals harder more rattling hits in the Nfl than in the NHL. 3. You claim that fights, slashing and penalties make the NHL harder than the NFL. While fighting is definitely something hard to do it isn't an integrated part of the game. It certainly happens, but not every single game, and not every single player. Players aren't required to fight, and aren't expected to, it is merely a side effect you may encounter in your NhL career. Illegal checks aren't something NFL doesn't have. The NHL has illegal checking, and the NFL has blindside hits on defenseless players. They each warrant penalties and can cause serious injury. Lastly, I will not deny that NHL players overall have more time playing and participating, although they do get frequent breaks with the different line changes as NFL players get breaks in between plays. I will use your point that they are indeed playing for a longer time to benefit my argument. In 2012 the NFL had 261 diagnosed concussions. On 2013 they had 228 diagnosed concussions. [3]. The NHL had in 2012, 78 concussions and in 2013, 53. [4]. The NFL players suffer many more concussions than NHL players even with a significant difference in the amount of time playing. The NFL players even have high tech specialized helmets that are much more safe than NHL helmets, but still suffer these crippling injuries. ACL and MCL injuries are also much more ore leant in the NFL. [1. http://m.theglobeandmail.com...] [2. http://sports.espn.go.com...]. [3. http://m.espn.go.com... 4. [http://www.cnn.com...]

Here is my third round text.

Your first point is hand eye co-ordination. This probably belongs in the physical aspect but nonetheless it is a point. I concede, hand eye coordination for NHL players is more difficult than NFL players, but not by a large difference as the NFL has its co-ordination difficulties as well. Your second point was criticism/pressure. NFL players are under an immensely more amount of pressure than NHL players. According to Espn the NFL is the most popular sport in the USA for the 30th year in a row. [1]. The NFL clearly has more fans than the NHL (which is a shame because the NHL is a great sport). More fans, more pressure, more media, more social media, less privacy. The NFL players are exploited by the media. They're every move is being watched by everyone. Take the Ray Rice case and Peterson case. They have caused so much publicity and critisicm towards the NFL and its players. Social media has contributed greatly to this fact as anything and everything travels at great speed to the corners of the Internet. Other players such as Tim Tebow and Johhny Manziel have been dissected by the media and country. Also, every NFL team is guaranteed only 16 games to be played versus the NHL which is more than triple that. Every NFL game gets more exposure and tuned into more because people have less chances to watch their hometown heroes play. Every play counts, unlike the NHL which has a lot more room for error. Consider the Super bowl. This past super bowl with the Seahawks versus the Broncos. It was watched by 111 million viewers, the most watched televised even in the history of television. [2]. Quite unlike the Stanley cup of 2014 which averaged 2.8 million a game. [3]. Your third point is that it not only takes physical but mental strength when you are "checked, slashed, etc." this also applies to the NFL as they endure hard hits and penalties. They also endure taunting by opposing players which can be discouraging, but that varies player to player. Taunting is a lot more prevelant in the NFL than NHL. Lastly you said they must be mentally strong against losing and poor performance. This again can apply to many sports, but I believe even more so in football. With only 16 garnanteed games, there is no room for error. If you start out 0-4, your season won't look too well. Obviously it's possible to come back, but you will endure a lot of doubt from media/fans and doubt your own abilities. The NHL has 82 games per team. More than four times the amount in the NFL, you can start out 0-8 in the NHL and go on to win the Stanley cup. Start 0-8 in the NFL and your season is over. The NFL has a lot less room for error which can fry your nerves. Citation. 1. http://m.espn.go.com... 2. http://m.hollywoodreporter.com...
3. http://en.m.wikipedia.org...
Greener49

Pro

Number one the average weight thing is useless because in hockey there is more acceleration and less mass. You said you self there is less friction on ice so when skating at high speed's in the intent of hinting that person they are basically a speeding torpedo. I should have said this before in Football you get tackled in OPEN field but in hockey your pined between two hard places.Yes Hockey players have less fan's but more crazy fan's https://video.search.yahoo.com... in Vancouver so you have that presser on you and this goes for all team's. You also said that Football player's have less privacy well really for both sport's it's about the same it's really about the most famous player's. Finally this is how hard to get into the NHL. Out of 30,000 kid's in Ontario Canada are selected and studied 48 get drafted, out of that 48 only 39 end up signing a contracted. Out of that 39 only 32 actually play in the NHL and only 15 play more then one season. But out of that 15 only 6 play 400 games which is the amount of games to by able to play that NHL position.http://www.huffingtonpost.com...
BoggyB

Con

Your dispute to my statement of more fans is that the NHL has crazier fans. I believe your intention was to link the Vancouver riots, as evidence for "crazier fans." While that was a crazy thing, that has only ever happened once and doesnt really set the bar for a consistent crazy fan base. Also, it's kind of hard to define crazy, and label such large groups crazier than one another. The NFL fans are fairly "crazy" as well. There is a fantasy football group called the tattoo league. The loser every year gets a tattoo of the winners choice. They gained quite the amount of publicity even earning them a spot on ESPN Sunday Countdown. [1]. Every year Americans put down millions upon millions over fantasy football. [2]. These are some fairly crazy statistics and stories that don't have many equivilents in the NHL fanbase. Finally you addressed how difficult it is make it into the NHL. According to NCAA, the percentages for the NFL and NHL are fairly similar. [3]. About .07% of high school seniors participating in inner scholastic sports will make it to the NHL, and the percentage is .08 for making it to the NFL. The NHL has less players and less openings, the NFL has more players and more openings. They are relative to each other showing it's basically just as difficult to enter each one as it is the other. But, the average length of a career of an NHL player is 5.5 years versus NFL players who average 3.5. [4]. Let's take David Tyree for example who had arguably the greatest catch in NFL history. He caught a 4th and 10 pass from Eli Manning with his helmet while double covered to keep the Giants alive and eventually pull off the greatest upset in Super Bowl history. This was an iconic moment in NFL history, spoiling the Patriots 19-0 season. That was David Tyree's last catch ever in the NFL. It doesn't matter what you've done or accomplished, even an amazing catch like that, the NFL has so many people circulating in and out, even David Tyree couldn't manage it. Thank you for the debate, despite me being the Con, I still think hockey is a super tough game that is really fun to watch and deserves more fans than it has. [1. http://youtu.be...] [2. http://www.forbes.com...]. [3. https://www.ncaa.org...]. [4. http://www.rsvlts.com...].
Posted by BoggyB 1 year ago
BoggyB
again, I apologize for missing my round two debate and causing such a large round three.
Posted by BoggyB 1 year ago
BoggyB
It appears my round two argument was never posted. I apologize, please make your round two argents and I will attempt to catch up.
Posted by Mister_Man 1 year ago
Mister_Man
In what way harder? More physically demanding? Or harder to "do well"?
Vote Placed by TK57 1 year ago
TK57
Greener49BoggyBTied
Reasons for voting decision: I use to think it was pretty even in terms of difficulty. (No entertainment wise). But con proved football is way harder. In fact, I use to think football was the 3rd hardest sport but now I think its 2nd (baseball is obviously 1st).
Vote Placed by lannan13 1 year ago
lannan13
Greener49BoggyBTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct to Pro due to Con's forfeiture. Sources to Con for using way more souces than Pro. Arguments go to Con due to the dropping of a few contentions and due to that point alone that resolution is thus negated and Con get's the victory. Sorry Pro.