SS3D
JanariPa

NVIDIA vs AMD (ATI)

Started: 1/3/2014 Category: Technology

SS3D

Pro

Pro - nVidia
Con - AMD

Round 1 Is just acceptance

In the debate please include facts, opinions and prior experiences
JanariPa

Con

I accept your debate. Best of luck.
SS3D

Pro

Thank you for accepting JanariPa. This is my first debate on the site and am looking forward to it.

DISCLAIMER: I am not gonna hate on anyone or any company

I am going to be arguing that NVIDIA is better when it comes to an overall PC GPU, now I will not deny the fact that NVIDIA is more expensive that AMD (the latest top single GPUs from both companies are the R9 290X avg "420 and the competing NVIDIA GPU is the GTX 780 Ti avg "560) the highest end NVIDIA GPU is actually the Titan avg "720 but the Titan is geared more towards the video maker/extreme PC enthusiast than the common user/gamer. The R9 290X is the competitor to the GTX 780 Ti.

If anyone wants to research these cards here are the official links

780 Ti: http://www.geforce.com...
R9 290X: http://www.amd.com...

I am going to be arguing that I think it is worth the extra money to get a NVIDIA card over an AMD card.

NVIDIA cards have a lower TDP (they use less power than AMD) The AMD R9 290X has a TDP of 300W the NVIDIA GTX 780 Ti has a TDP of 250W (the same trend follows for pretty much all AMD and NVIDIA GPUs) While 50W might seem like a small amount, but it can have a huge impact of GPU performance and life expectancy of a GPU. The 50W difference will mean that the GTX 780 Ti will run cooler, quieter and it will have a longer life expectancy than a R9 290X because the chip is running cooler. I will sum-up for those who are not tech-savvy, a GPU that has a lower TDP will run cooler thus increasing the life of that GPU. If you took two of the same GPUs and ran one at 50c and he other at 60c I guarantee the one that ran cooler would last longer than the one that ran hotter. NVIDIA GPUs while having a lower TDP still perform just as good (if not better) than the AMD counterparts, in benchmarks we typically see that the NVIDIA's GPUs scoring higher marks and achieving a higher fps in games than AMD's GPUs. NVIDIA cards also have nice features like 3D Vision (AMD GPU's do have 3D but NVIDIA's 3D technology is far more mature), PhysX, TXAA and CUDA. All these features are very useful for gaming, video-editing and productive work. I will admit however that if you want to do a multi-monitor setup then AMD is the way to go as Eyefinity is far ahead of NVIDIA Surround. However most users do not want or need a multi-monitor setup, thus a NVIDIA GPU would be more suited. This next topic is more opinion/experience based. NVIDIA GPU's have more stable drivers, I have had a AMD in the past and the drivers were always a pain to get working and there were often crashed or errors (I still hear of this today, just Google NVIDIA better drivers) This is why I believe that NVIDIA is the overall better GPU brand to buy when getting a GPU for your PC.

I wish JanariPa good luck and am eager to see his debate!
JanariPa

Con

I am going to be arguing that the NVIDIA cards aren"t worth the extra money and you should go with AMD cards.

I"m not going to deny that AMD cards are more power-hungry than NVIDIA cards, but this higher power consumption has it"s pros. You see this allows the AMD cards to be very overclockable and that will boost the performance of the AMD cards over the performance of NVIDIA cards. NVIDIA cards, unlike AMD cards, have locked voltage control, and because of that their ability to overclock is minimal. True this overclocking will raise the temperature of the card and it"s no lie that lower temperature results in longer lifespan of the card, but that"s actually irrelevant, because all the high-end cards need replacement after 4 years, simply because the minimal requirements for games aren"t met and if you don"t require that high performance that overclocking offers the cards will last for the same time. So as far as high-performance goes the AMD card have an edge with their overclocking abilities.

As my opponent said AMD cards are better at running multiple screen setups, the reason for that is that AMD cards have more video ram. Multiscreen setups are used by gamers and most people who work in IT because the need of running multiple programs at the same time on screen is needed. It"s common to have 3 monitors in when you work in IT so the extra RAM of the AMD card really pays of in those cases. The AMD cards are also known for their higher memory bandwidth which allows drawing images faster and with higher quality a big plus when you are working with photo or video editing. This is true that AMD doesn"t support PhysX, but as far as using PhysX in gaming there are some issues with it when using PhysX while playing Borderlands 2 with the GTX 68 0the fame rate dropped down by 19%. Similar problems raise when using other software described by my opponent. And similar software is available for AMD. Even FXAA the NVIDIA anti-aliasing software is available for AMD. So as far as developers and people who use multiple screen AMD is the way to go.

For the drivers of AMD and NVIDIA, like my opponent I am speaking from experience. I have used many cards by both manufacturers; I have never had any problems with any of them. Only problems I have had are while using PhysX with my NVIDIA card.

I really enjoyed this, looking forward to your reply
SS3D

Pro

I am going to be arguing that NVIDIA cards when overclocked still beat overclocked AMD cards, and also that in many cases stock NVIDIA cards do score higher marks than overclocked AMD cards

'I"m not going to deny that AMD cards are more power-hungry than NVIDIA cards, but this higher power consumption has it"s pros. You see this allows the AMD cards to be very overclockable and that will boost the performance of the AMD cards over the performance of NVIDIA cards' I am going against this claim, NVIDIA cards when overclocked usually have better performance than overclocked (OC) AMD cards and in many benchmarks stock NVIDIA cards actually beat OC AMD cards. Here is a benchmark that shows the results of stock R9 290X & GTX 780 Ti and also shows OC R9 290X and GTX 780 Ti (https://www.youtube.com...) NVIDIA vs AMD benchmark. GTX 780 Ti won against R9 290X
As we can see an OC'ed NVIDIA GTX 780 Ti always beat the AMD R9 290X OC, and in some tests the stock 780 Ti even beat the R9 290X OC. This goes to show that OC'ing your GPU is not as vital as some believe. Now I will not deny that most NVIDIA cards do have a locked voltage, this is mainly a safety reason to stop people from burning out their GPU. Each GPU will have a slightly different locked voltage due to the manufacturer and if the card has been OC'ed by the factory. I do believe that the higher end GPUs like the Titan and the 780 Ti actually come unlocked right out of the box, but even if you have a lower GPU like a GTX 760 or a GTX 650 it is not difficult to unlock the voltage. To OC a GPU you will have to use a program like MSI Afterburner or EVGA Precision, in these utilities you can actually unlock the voltage (http://img156.imageshack.us...) of the GPU and overclock from there, but this isn't really necessary. NVIDIA give you a good leeway to OC your GPU, if you want to go higher all you need to do is unlock the voltage control in your GPU (keep in mind you have to use a utility to overclock a GPU. AMD OR NVIDIA, you cannot do it in the BIOS, yet...) And the average gamer/user will have no need to really OC their GPU. NVIDIA cards have a built in feature called GPU Boost (the 600 Series has GPU Boost and the 700 series has GPU Boost 2.0) GPU Boost will automatically overclock your GPU depending on temp, voltage and if you have set ant preferences i.e. Power limit etc... (you do not have to change any settings in GPU Boost 2.0 if you do not wanna if will do it all for you. Preferences are more for enthusiasts to tinker with and gain more control over their GPU) ' it"s no lie that lower temperature results in longer lifespan of the card, but that"s actually irrelevant, because all the high-end cards need replacement after 4 years' While this may be true, there are some users who buy a GPU and when they have no use for it they give it to a family or a friends. A NVIDIA GPU will stand a higher chance of living longer than a AMD GPU as they use less voltage. Also even if I changed GPU every couple of months, I would still like to know that my GPU still has alot of life left in it, also stuff that lasts longer tends to perform better than stuff that lasts a shorter time period. I will not deny any of the higher VRAM or multi-monitor stuff, all of that AMD do better

I am really enjoying this debate. I look forward to your reply
JanariPa

Con

JanariPa forfeited this round.
SS3D

Pro

I can't continue this debate unless JanariPa rejoins. I don't know if this forfeit was accidental or on purpose? I would like to reiterate that I am not hating on anyone or any company, I am just stating why I went with NVIDIA instead of AMD. I would like to continue this debate if possible. Thank you
JanariPa

Con

JanariPa forfeited this round.
SS3D

Pro

SS3D forfeited this round.
JanariPa

Con

JanariPa forfeited this round.
Posted by SS3D 3 years ago
SS3D
Oh, I forgot to add this second link aswell https://www.youtube.com...
When I was reviewing the debate instead of hitting make changes I hit submit.
Posted by 16kadams 3 years ago
16kadams
I have an ATI card. Only difference is that its louder than my old card.