laleona89
PhoenixWright

Narcolepsy

laleona89

Pro

This debate is for me to get an opinion from someone else on something I will explain.
I have narcolepsy which is a genetic disease. It is a rare disease, if my opponent wants to do some research on this topic he is welcome. So this is more of an advice. I know I'm too young to start thinking about this stuff, but still I think a lot about the future although sometimes is to far from now. I want my opponents advice on, if it's worth risking having a kid who might inherit this disease or is it better to adopt or to not have child at all. I would never want anyone to have this disease because I've gone through a lot that has technically ruined part of my life or at least didn't allow me to do or experience some things I would of loved to. so What do you think? I'm open to all opinion, and please be totally honest with me.
PhoenixWright

Con

Hello, thanks for raising this.

I actually don't know much of this myself, but I will do what i can to make sure you are happy.
Please, if I am wrong, correct me at any stage.

So I would like to start off by just asking the simple question:
What is narcolepsy?

If I am correct. . .
Narcolepsy is a chronic sleep disorder where people with the disorder are prone to falling asleep during the day at any time and any place, even after adequate amounts of sleep.
It is not to be confused with insomnia. Insomnia can sort of be classified as a symptom, correct?
Narcolepsy sufferers can also experience an event called cataplexy-in short sudden muscle weakness brought on by strong emotions.

That's what I have gathered so far. I am sorry that i did not adress your questions but I wished to use this round to clarify narcolepsy.

Sources: http://en.wikipedia.org...

Thank you. Please, correct me if needed and ask questions.
laleona89

Pro

That's exactly what narcolepsy is. But in your comment you said Insomnia is not a symptom but my doctor says sometimes Insomnia is a symptom but most of the time it's just sleeping to much. And just to clarify In my case cataplexy is just when I get really mad (rarely) and when I laugh wich is when it most happens. It can also happen out of nowhere I t just happens. When I forget my meds the cataplexy "attacks" I call them, lasts longer. The longest episode of cataplexy I ever had was of about one hour and also a have hallucination while having the cataplexy. Cataplexy is a believed to be when you're a sleep there is a level in which your body muscle looses control, the doctors say that episode intervenes in my day with strong emotions int this case it's just when I laugh.
PhoenixWright

Con

Thanks for the response.

About this:
//But in your comment you said Insomnia is not a symptom but my doctor says sometimes Insomnia is a symptom but most of the time it's just sleeping to much.//

Please excuse that comment. I am still in the research phase of this and do not know much. Sorry.

Ok, so where to begin?

Thank you for clarifying what narcolepsy is. Now I can work with that.
About the treatment.

First of all:

Cataplexy:
//And just to clarify In my case cataplexy is just when I get really mad (rarely) and when I laugh wich is when it most happens. It can also happen out of nowhere I t just happens//

Your symptoms are common among cataplexy sufferers. However, for the use of others, I will list the symptoms here:
However, note that in my sources on cataplexy there is nothing on it randomly happening. Question: does this happen at nighttime, during sleep? And if not, is it totally random?

Anyhow, the common symptoms:

Arm weakness
Sagging jaw
Drooping head
Slumping of the shoulders
Slurred speech
Generalized weakness
Knee buckling
Impaired vision

Anger and laughter are two causes of cataplexy. However, to control the effects, look below.

Treatment:

Narcolepsy can be controlled with the help of these drugs:
Modafinil (Provigil) for excessive, uncontrollable, daytime sleepiness
Sodium oxybate (Xyrem) for cataplexy (sudden muscle weakness) or venlafaxine

Cataplexy must be treated differently to narcolepsy, no matter the relevance between the two. If you wish to control it, take venlafaxine, a depressant. It can be found in all US retail stores (but correct me if needed, because I don't live in the US). However, be warned: taking venlafaxine does increase the chance of suicide and other adverse effects.

To adress your first question whether to adopt a child or have one of your own, if you do decide to take venlafaxine, it is recommended to adopt. Studies have shown that the use of the drug doubles the chance of miscarriage. However, if you do decide not to adopt, venlafaxine must be taken only when clearly needed.
The two other drugs also risk miscarriage during preganancy, so be warned.
Something to think about regarding the adopting/having one issue.

Genetically:
Having a family member with narcolepsy increases the chance of the genetic disorder by 20-40 times.
Possibly another reason to adopt?

http://adam.about.com...

That is what I have for you this time. . . Please, if you have any more questions post them in the next argument.
laleona89

Pro

Thanks for your opinion about adoption and I think the same as you do. I don't live in the U.S either, I lived there about nine years ago but not anymore. I'm Mexican and I live in Queretaro. But still I'm taking some medicines in Spanish its called Venlafaxina, which I guess is the same as the one you mentioned, but this medicine doesn't make them go away it just control them, it makes them less random.
I have another question I also need an opinion on. do you think maybe it would be a bad idea to become a doctor, more specifically a baby doctor or study neonatology, because of my situation?
Thank you a lot for answering me it was really helpful to listen to your opinion about this.
PhoenixWright

Con

It was not a problem, and thank you for asking this question. A rich learning experience for the both of us.

I may not have to mention this, since you already may know, but unfortunately Narcolepsy cannot be cured-it can only be controlled.

Venlafaxina (or venlafaxine) can only control the effects of narcolepsy and cataplexy.

About your question about being a doctor:
A neonatologist is a form of pediatrician, specifically a doctor specializing in the care of newborn children under NICUs, or Neonatal Intensive care units.
A doctor's job is very demanding. It requires doctors to work under stress and manage everything effectively.
This must be taken into serious consideration if you wish to become a neontologist.

Here is a website showing requirements and other things for the job.
This link is from New Zealand, so if there are some things that you do not understand, please excuse them. This has quite a bit of detail to go through, so read carefully if you wish to know more.

http://www.careers.govt.nz...

Other sources:

Thank you for raising this. I hope that what I found was helpful to you and that I helped you.
Posted by PhoenixWright 6 years ago
PhoenixWright
Dont worry about it, it feels good to help others. Besides, this is a first, so I'm learning too ;-)
Posted by laleona89 6 years ago
laleona89
thanks for accepting my deabte.
I really wanted another side's opinion on this topic who can be totally honest.
Posted by PhoenixWright 6 years ago
PhoenixWright
Sorry error in my 1st round!!

Insomnia can more be described as the opposite of narcolepsy.

That should do it :D Anyhow, once again, correct me if mistaken.
Vote Placed by gavin.ogden 6 years ago
gavin.ogden
laleona89PhoenixWrightTied
Vote Placed by SuperRobotWars 6 years ago
SuperRobotWars
laleona89PhoenixWrightTied